Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus 2.0.12 on Ubuntu 21.10 install error Dependency not satisfiable  (Read 13337 times)

mcculloch

As others have said: @mcculloch, you're somewhat out of order piggybacking onto somebody else's question, it makes life difficult for people trying to help both you and the OP.

Originally, I didn't plan on this getting this detailed.  I mentioned my problem because one solution to the original post mentioned libgtk2.0-dev.  Then people began trying to help even after I was ready to bail, so I kept working along with them.  I've got libgtk2.0-dev installed now.

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
I've got libgtk2.0-dev installed now.

Let us know what worked, here or in a separate thread.
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

MarkMLl

I've got libgtk2.0-dev installed now.

Let us know what worked, here or in a separate thread.

Seconded, and congratulations :-)

If it is a separate thread, please post one last message in this one with a link to it so that people who are monitoring this one know what to read.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

mcculloch

I don't know how to link like that, so I'll put it here.  The problem was not with my system or Linux Mint.  It was the Ubuntu repository.  The Linux Mint people sent me an enormous command to downgrade a package:

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. john@desktop02:~$ sudo apt install $(dpkg -l | egrep '(libc|locales|nscd).* 2.31-0ubuntu9.3 ' | cut -d' ' -f3 | paste -sd ' ' | sed -r 's/( |$)/=2.31-0ubuntu9.2 /g')

Ubuntu users might have to do this in certain cases.

MarkMLl

Ouch. That isn't Ubuntu's problem, it's either Mint's problem (as an Ubuntu derivative) or the problem of somebody who's latterly been seduced into installing packages from Ubuntu's repository to satisfy delinquent dependencies.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

mcculloch

I don't know whose "problem" it is, but the Ubuntu repositories is where libgtk2.0-dev is and Lazarus needs it. 

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
Yikes! Who could know?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 01:36:27 am by VTwin »
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
Just to remind you of my earlier post.

I installed an fresh Linux Mint 20.1 and had no difficulty getting everything needed. The version libc6 is 2.31-0ubuntu9.2. Thats the same version in U20.04 which, as we know, Mint is based on.   Your install wanted ~0ubuntu9.3.That means, to me, very few possible explanations -

1. 'Someone' repackaged it, realised their mistake and reverted it. The number change, 2->3 is a packaging revision.  Ubuntu would not, at the point of a gun, do something like that to their flagship LTS version.

2. Alternatively, your local system was, at some stage, 'forced' to update libc6 to a later version than it should be using (although again, only a packaging revision ??)

Both seem quite unlikely. Frankly, I suggest we regard the problem solved and keep our own council. 

Mind you, specifying packaging versions in a dependencies list certainly contributed to this problem. But as libc is critical to the entire OS, I sort of understand Ubuntu's obsession.

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

mcculloch

From what I'm told, the repositories have been repaired but it would not retroactively have repaired my system and I had to specifically downgrade.  That's why installing a fresh system would work correctly.  But I do agree the problem is solved.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018