Recent

Author Topic: Can I please be a human edit bot?  (Read 4869 times)

willbprog9933

• Big guy, tiny brain :P
    • BrainOut!
Can I please be a human edit bot?
« on: August 20, 2019, 06:00:35 am »
Hi everyone,

I have been a proofreader for many years and I'd like to volunteer to clean up some posts that might need editing.  I'm not talking so much about misspells but fixing posts that should have used code or other tags and they didn't. 

I lurk the boards almost every day, sometimes multiple times a day, and besides the proofreader in me screaming in tears, it would be helpful for people arriving from search engines to have clear, easy-to-read code and solutions.  When I start a new programming language, it drives me bonkers when I arrive at a site from a search engine and find some example code that looks like it went through a hurricane.  :P

Thanks everyone! :D
macOS, Linux, FreeBSD and sometimes OpenIndiana.

Blessed, loved and forgiven! :D

wp

Re: Can I please be a human edit bot?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 10:20:50 am »
I fully agree with your opinion. But I am rather sure that the admins will refrain from given permission to edit other user's posts to a relatively unknown user.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 11:09:46 am »
Indeed the requirement to become a moderator a set rather high. A person must be a long-standing and active member.

Also when it comes to editing posts, this is handled very restrictively (if at all). Unlike Stackoverflow, where another person may completely rephrase your question (for better English), we mainly target spam, and abusive posts.
It would be ok to add code tags to some ones post. Though it is rarely done.

It is possible for everyone to reply to existing posts (public or pm), and tell users how to add the code tags. Users can edit their own posts.

Still appreciate your willingness to help. You could look at our wiki. As a wiki it is open to everyone for editing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 11:29:21 am by Martin_fr »

Kays

• Whasup!?
    • KaiBurghardt.de
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 02:12:05 pm »
[…] I'd like to volunteer to clean up some posts that might need editing. […]
Veto.
[…] we mainly target spam, and abusive posts.
It would be ok to add code tags to some ones post. Though it is rarely done. […]
Yeah, that’s the line. Don’t pamper posters.

I’d feel really offended if someone edited my posts, signed with my name, without notifying me. Moreover, SMF posts don’t have a change history, so we can’t track what’s been changed.

Forums aren’t meant to be kept for posterity so it’s all right if there are mistakes.
Yours Sincerely
Kai Burghardt

af0815

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 02:59:15 pm »
But it is good thing, to proofread the Wiki. There are no special right needed, except for deleting dead/empty pages.
regards
Andreas

willbprog9933

• BrainOut!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 06:49:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

My request was truly sincere, but I get it -- you guys don't know me from Adam.  I know my heart and motives, but you can't see that through the internet.

Thanks for listening! :D

willbprog9933

• BrainOut!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 06:51:13 pm »
But it is good thing, to proofread the Wiki. There are no special right needed, except for deleting dead/empty pages.

I wish this was true.  I have tried registering on the Wiki with perfectly 'legal' usernames and it says something like "Your username has been blacklisted".  I'd love to register.  Any ideas, or is it because I'm not allowed to join the Wiki?

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 07:04:51 pm »
I have tried registering on the Wiki with perfectly 'legal' usernames and it says something like "Your username has been blacklisted".  I'd love to register.  Any ideas, or is it because I'm not allowed to join the Wiki?

1) Captcha: Afaik, the pascal code should do string concatenation, not number adding. So make sure you got that right.

2) If not, send (via PM) the username, and email address you did attempt. Also approx the time at which you tried, and if you have the IP.
I am not an admin on the wiki, but I can try to get hold of one, and have the look into it.

There is a list of users that are blocked https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Special:BlockList

But it is not possible to see which emails (or even entire email domains) may be blocked.
So it is well possible that some email domains are overly used by spammers and can not be used to register. (I do not know)

willbprog9933

• BrainOut!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 07:13:17 pm »
I have tried registering on the Wiki with perfectly 'legal' usernames and it says something like "Your username has been blacklisted".  I'd love to register.  Any ideas, or is it because I'm not allowed to join the Wiki?

1) Captcha: Afaik, the pascal code should do string concatenation, not number adding. So make sure you got that right.

2) If not, send (via PM) the username, and email address you did attempt. Also approx the time at which you tried, and if you have the IP.
I am not an admin on the wiki, but I can try to get hold of one, and have the look into it.

There is a list of users that are blocked https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Special:BlockList

But it is not possible to see which emails (or even entire email domains) may be blocked.
So it is well possible that some email domains are overly used by spammers and can not be used to register. (I do not know)

Thanks for that.

Yes, I did do concatenation for the Pascal code.  I just tried right now, and this is what I saw... (everything was entered correctly, the error message clears some of the boxes)

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:15:38 pm by willbprog9933 »

kupferstecher

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 07:39:23 pm »
Perhaps because of the numbers in your user name?
It does look a bit generic. But no idea if there are automatic tests and what are the criteria.

Did you test with a different user name?

willbprog9933

• BrainOut!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 07:40:49 pm »
Perhaps because of the numbers in your user name?
It does look a bit generic. But no idea if there are automatic tests and what are the criteria.

Did you test with a different user name?

Yes, I tried various different names, all completely unique and not similar to the one in the picture or my forums name.

:D

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 08:19:31 pm »
You need a certain amount of credibility ( it used to be 5 posts, dunno if that is still the case).
Any changes to the wiki are welcome, but please always check your changes first or ask here or on the mailing lists if you are not completely confident:
I have seen wiki entries mutilated by nitwits and I - sometimes partially - reversed some entries because of it, (very few, only the most abhorrent)
OTOH there are many entries that need updates since FPC has evolved.

TIP: any of the senior or hero members can edit the wiki, so contact one of them and they will probably review and adapt the wiki accordingly.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:23:05 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

mas steindorff

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 08:31:35 pm »
Yes, I tried various different names, all completely unique and not similar to the one in the picture or my forums name.

:D
I've run into that issue on other web sites and what worked for me is to use an incognito window.  My guess is that this mode blocks one of my viewer add-ons that web sites can detect or lets popups/redirects work?? Once registered, you can go back to using your standard web viewer.
(let us know if this works for you)
Mas
windows 10 &11, Ubuntu 21+ - fpc 3.0.4, IDE 2.0 general releases

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 08:51:24 pm »
We should get that figured out. Just have to get hold of the correct admin.

willbprog9933

• BrainOut!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 05:39:15 am »
I've run into that issue on other web sites and what worked for me is to use an incognito window.  My guess is that this mode blocks one of my viewer add-ons that web sites can detect or lets popups/redirects work?? Once registered, you can go back to using your standard web viewer.
(let us know if this works for you)
Mas

Thanks for that.  I did try that out and it still says I'm blacklisted.  I also tried a non-incognito window with extensions off and it still says I'm blacklisted. 

Maybe I made the Simple Machines devs mad or something and it's hard-coded to keep me away! :P

TinyPortal © 2005-2018