Recent

Author Topic: Forum users who'e never posted  (Read 1516 times)

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
Forum users who'e never posted
« on: August 21, 2019, 03:27:11 am »
Curious statistic: there are more than 7500 forum users who have, in up to 10 years, never posted on the forum.

lucamar

Re: Forum users who'e never posted
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 03:43:41 am »
I find more curious that there is normally a ratio of from 1/10 to 1/25 (*) of members vs. guests online. That is, there are way more lurkers than participants.

Lots of people looking for answers but too shy to ask? :)

(*) Or even more extreme: just now there are 5 users vs. 153 guests.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 03:45:57 am by lucamar »
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 04:33:34 am »
I think I can explain that one, maybe.

I used to work for a not-for-profit law publisher and one day our load-balanced webservers which provided free access to the law seemed unusually popular by a multiplier of more than 10x normal (normal was in the order of 700K hits per day).

Examining web log files and checking IP addresses, it became apparent that apart from all the robots, there were a number of large Telco ISP content caches which were refreshing their cache of our site with 1,000s of concurrent connections.

The caches proved to be another problem when users were being served outdated (by up to a year) law because smaller ISPs were not refreshing their content caches regularly or at all.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:01:07 am »

Absolutely. I used to run largish supercomputer facilities, used, in the main by academia. People could ask for help by phone, email, 'drop in'. But much, much preferred to browse the website looking for answers. I used to personally visit people and ask if they had any issues and out would flow a heap of easily answered questions, maybe months old. And they would shrug and say they could not find a solution on the website.

Thats why I occasionally try and find time to update the Lazarus wiki, it sure needs it but is probably the first place new users look. And they judge Lazarus by how easily they find answers...

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

TraumTaenzerDieter

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 08:04:52 am »
Not too shy to ask (as I have no question),
just for curiosity visiting nearly every morning
(with the first cup of coffee) to see what is going on.
And now I'll get my second cup and visit other (Pascal) sites.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 09:35:13 am »
@TraumTaenzerDieter: but you already have 25 posts. trev talked about users that have none, 0, nil, nadda.  ;)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 10:09:02 am »
I find more curious that there is normally a ratio of from 1/10 to 1/25 (*) of members vs. guests online. That is, there are way more lurkers than participants.

People that arrive via Google results, webcrawlers, and also regular users that are not logged in but monitor for e.g. new releases and the occasional question etc.

Most forum software invalidates logins after a month or so, and people only lookup their login credentials in when they really post.

Before 2010 Marc afaik regularly ran scripts to kill off deadwood users (0 posts and not logged in for several years). Apparently he no longer does so.

rvk

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:46:40 am »
Maybe, if the script is run again, we can get to that magical number of 10.000 members  :P  8-)

nouzi

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 12:18:12 pm »
I was following stats on YouTube how many videos are uploaded about Lazurs and Free Pascal  8)

Isn't this madness? :-X
Translated by Google
My English is  bad
Lazarus last version free pascal last version
Lazarus trunk  free pascal trunk 
System : Linux mint  64bit  Windows 7 64bit

TinyPortal © 2005-2018