Recent

Author Topic: Tutorial: Install Lazarus to Raspberry Pi  (Read 13369 times)

avra

• Additional info
Re: Tutorial: Install Lazarus to Raspberry Pi
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2020, 12:36:59 pm »
Anyway, cross compiling and testing via USB to CAN dongle can be done on both systems and in fact I'm doing that on the PC.  Just so much faster.  But once I start using the Pi HAT with MCP2515 for CAN or the internal CAN on the BBB I'm screwed.  Pretty well have to debug on site.
Well, most of the time you don't have to debug on site if you change your architecture a bit. Here is one example: having a fleet of Balena enabled ARM boards connected to CAN 2.0B via CAN shield and using SocketCAN, with WiFi or 4G shields for communication. CAN messages go through custom J1939 filter and then they are forwarded to a custom TCP/IP server. That TCP/IP server can be on ARM board it self, or on your PC - having the same or different logic just for debugging. On such setup GDB remote debugging also works, and WireShark SocketCAN and J1939 disectors can also be used when needed. Either on board, or on development pc after tunneling and forwarding SocketCAN messages. Alternative for CAN<>ETH interfacing can be usage of socketcand daemon.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 01:14:17 pm by avra »
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

jcdammeyer

• Embedded System Developer
    • Automation Artisans Inc.
Re: Tutorial: Install Lazarus to Raspberry Pi
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2020, 09:49:08 pm »
Thanks for your comments.  Definitely something to consider.  Maybe this weekend I can find the time to install one of the cross platforms on the new WIN-10 laptop.

Meanwhile I'll get back to the application that started all this.
Thanks again everyone.  Very enlightening and helpful.
John

TinyPortal © 2005-2018