Recent

Author Topic: Corporate sponsors  (Read 1077 times)

440bx

Corporate sponsors
« on: August 14, 2019, 07:02:15 pm »
Hello,

Every now and then someone points out that corporate sponsors would be beneficial to the growth/development of FPC/Lazarus.  I believe that is rather likely to be true.

I was wondering if there is an on going effort from the developers (or anyone else associated with the development of FPC/Lazarus) to seek corporate sponsors and, if so, what if anything, is being offered to potential sponsors.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
Re: Corporate sponsors
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 07:06:47 pm »
Embarcadero? (obviously!)
Facebook - they don't have their development language yet.
Huawei - they need to replace Android solutions with... something else.

440bx

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 07:20:03 pm »
Embarcadero? (obviously!)
Curious... why do you think Embarcadero might be interested in sponsoring FPC/Lazarus ?.  Don't they look at FPC/Lazarus as a potential competitor and, if so, against their financial interests to see either one of them grow ?
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 07:25:51 pm »
Curious... why do you think Embarcadero might be interested in sponsoring FPC/Lazarus ?.  Don't they look at FPC/Lazarus as a potential competitor and, if so, against their financial interests to see either one of them grow ?
eliminating the opponent by acquiring its resources? sounds like a double win to me :)

440bx

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 07:46:24 pm »
eliminating the opponent by acquiring its resources? sounds like a double win to me :)
I see your point now.

I wonder if that would work because, since FPC and Lazarus are open source, they cannot be "acquired".  I believe, maybe incorrectly, that anyone could keep developing FPC/Lazarus rendering Embarcadero's acquisition a futile effort to eliminate a competitor.  Is this not correct ?

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 07:56:20 pm »
I wonder if that would work because, since FPC and Lazarus are open source, they cannot be "acquired".  I believe, maybe incorrectly, that anyone could keep developing FPC/Lazarus rendering Embarcadero's acquisition a futile effort to eliminate a competitor.  Is this not correct ?
I'd think that a corporate sponsorship comes with the corporate control. A project is no longer community controlled any more (even though it might look otherwise).

The bigger question is if anyone would even want to keep developing FPC/Lazarus.
The Pascal is far away from its past glory. The biggest thing that keeps it afloat is a codebase that still needs support (and has not yet been ported to C# or Java or whatever other trending language is).

If Embarcadero to acquire both projects (or even just FPC), would it scare away the community.
And if it is, would there be enough critical mass to assemble the same community around another project.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018