Recent

Author Topic: FPC Lazarus on MacOs Catalina  (Read 7625 times)

DonAlfredo

Re: FPC Lazarus on MacOs Catalina
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 08:50:38 am »
See included screenshot. FPC + Lazarus fixes running on Catalina.
Installed with fpcupdeluxe. But still needs some work.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 08:53:55 am »
The installer package requires administrator/root permissions to install, since writing to /usr/local and /etc has always required such permissions. It sounds strange that if there is a user version of the root directory, that the installer does not simply redirect the package's installer to install there. In fact, macOS supports the concept of "union" mounts, which would seem perfect for this case:

Now that HFS is being deprecated out of existence, I imagine it has something to do with APFS. Union fs mounts were broken on HFS back in Sierra at some point. I'm not sure they ever worked in High Sierra either.

The API for APFS is still in development, or at least Quinn The Eskimo (Apple Tech in the dev forums) is still suggesting filing bugs for new use cases to extend it.

I cannot change the package to install the documentation in /System/Volumes/Data, since that does not exist on any other macOS version. As most, I could put it in /Users/Shared.

As /usr exists, along with local, you can create /usr/local/share and then /usr/local/share/doc just as before (tested with Beta 5). What you cannot do is create a new /dirname, but /System/Volumes/Data/dirname is fine.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user

murrayELZ

Re: FPC Lazarus on macOs Catalina
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2019, 05:56:09 pm »
This may be of some help in making fpc and lazarus compatible with macOS Catalina ...

I already had installed latest fpc + lazarus under macOS Mojave before upgrading to Catalina (10.15.1). Now the following folders, related or possibly related to fpc + lazarus, have automatically been moved to
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. /Users/Shared/Relocated Items/Security/Developer
:

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. Applications/Qt
  2. Documentation/Free Pascal Compiler
  3. Documentation/Qt
  4. Exanmples/Qt
  5. lazarus
  6. Tools/Qt

I dont' know whether any of those Qt folders are related to fpc or lazarus; they may be strictly from a separate installation of Qt.

murrayELZ

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 04:05:13 pm »
macOS Catalina simply forbids users writing to some of the traditional locations, including /Developer and /System. In the past,installing lazarus & fpc has placed many files in subdirectories there.

I _think_ that subdirectories of /usr/local are still OK to use, at least judging from the fact that TeXLive (2019) is installed there and I am still allowed to write there when updating TeXLive under Catalina.

Another possible location would be in subdirectories of /opt/local, which is where MacPorts can still create subdirectories and write files under Catalina.

Whatever is chosen, it will of course be necessary to take care that the relevant directories are added to the PATH, either automatically during installation or manually by the user (with instructions of what to add).

Hope this helps in making Pascal available even under Catalina.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018