Recent

Author Topic: FPC Lazarus on MacOs Catalina  (Read 659 times)

DonAlfredo

Re: FPC Lazarus on MacOs Catalina
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 08:50:38 am »
See included screenshot. FPC + Lazarus fixes running on Catalina.
Installed with fpcupdeluxe. But still needs some work.

trev

Re: FPC Lazarus on MacOs Catalina
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 08:53:55 am »
The installer package requires administrator/root permissions to install, since writing to /usr/local and /etc has always required such permissions. It sounds strange that if there is a user version of the root directory, that the installer does not simply redirect the package's installer to install there. In fact, macOS supports the concept of "union" mounts, which would seem perfect for this case:

Now that HFS is being deprecated out of existence, I imagine it has something to do with APFS. Union fs mounts were broken on HFS back in Sierra at some point. I'm not sure they ever worked in High Sierra either.

The API for APFS is still in development, or at least Quinn The Eskimo (Apple Tech in the dev forums) is still suggesting filing bugs for new use cases to extend it.

I cannot change the package to install the documentation in /System/Volumes/Data, since that does not exist on any other macOS version. As most, I could put it in /Users/Shared.

As /usr exists, along with local, you can create /usr/local/share and then /usr/local/share/doc just as before (tested with Beta 5). What you cannot do is create a new /dirname, but /System/Volumes/Data/dirname is fine.
o Lazarus v2.1.0 r61676, FPC v3.3.1 r42640, macOS 10.14.6 (with supplemental update), Xcode 10.3
o Lazarus v2.1.0 r61574, FPC v3.3.1 r42318, FreeBSD 12.0
o Lazarus v2.1.0 r61574, FPC v3.0.4, Ubuntu 18.04