Recent

Author Topic: What Just Happened?  (Read 2476 times)

Dennis1

What Just Happened?
« on: July 22, 2019, 06:35:17 pm »
I'm working on a simple text editor as I learn Lazarus and Free Pascal. It's been going well. I usually get no errors when I compile -- generally just when I make a typo. But suddenly every control is not recognized and I have over 50 "identifier not found" errors. This was after making one tiny change to a menu caption, which I have since reversed. :o I've checked the "uses" section and nothing has changed. I've tried restarting etc. Nothing.

Any ideas??

winni

Re: What Just Happened?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 06:45:15 pm »
typo in

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1.  TForm1 = class (Tform)

?????

Or the string in your menu caption not closed???

Or, or, or ...

Winni

wp

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 06:47:56 pm »
It's hard to tell without seeing any code... Please pack your source code (*.pas, *.lfm, *.lpi, *.lpr) files (plus any special data files if needed) into a common zip which you can upload under "Attachment and other options". Do not add compiler-generated file such as the exe, ppu, .o etc because this will make the upload to big.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 06:53:12 pm »
Did you make that change in the lfm file? (usually  a NONO) Or in code?
Specialize a type, not a var.

Dennis1

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 04:46:05 am »
I think fixed it. I replaced the header section from a backup and deleted all the menu entries. That removed the avalanche of errors. The only oddity remaining is that the font selection dialogue loads only intermittently. Still, progress!

Thank you to all who responded!

Dennis1

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 03:18:32 pm »
After some trial and error to reproduce the problem, I've found that Lazarus seems to intermittently "forget" its forms or controls.

Say I'm changing the width of a Memo box. I type "Memo1." and after the "." the IDE produces a list of relevant methods etc. But only sometimes. Sometimes it has no idea what Memo1 is. Other times I have to type Form1.Memo1 before it remembers. Similarly, a simple line like "Form2.Show" works about half the time when compiled. 

It's probably something I'm doing, but what? 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:57:38 pm by Dennis1 »

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 03:57:56 pm »
I never have the issue as you mentioned.

Please provide more information: your OS and Lazarus version, the steps to reproduce. And it's even better if you can provide the sample project.

wp

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 04:08:48 pm »
I never have the issue as you mentioned.

Please provide more information: your OS and Lazarus version, the steps to reproduce. And it's even better if you can provide the sample project.
I absolutely agree. Since you are a beginner, the same issue may happen again, and since you did not solve it in a way such that you know what you did, you will get into trouble again. Guaranteed!

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 07:03:24 pm »
Yup.
Specialize a type, not a var.

Dennis1

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 04:07:22 am »
I agree!

I've reproduced the error twice. On both occasions, it happened after editing a menu caption and then double-clicking the resulting menu item and populating a new procedure. In both cases, every control on the form instantly became unknown and generated 50 errors. In both cases, it was fixed by shutting down and restarting (ie rebooting, not restarting Lazarus).

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 06:16:31 am »
You till haven't said what operating system you are using and what version of Lazarus you are using.

I've not had the problem you describe in a project with many memos with macOS 14.6, FreeBSD 12 or Ubuntu v18.04, nor with Lazarus v2.0.0 or v2.1.0.

Dennis1

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 09:27:06 pm »
Sorry -- it's Win7, Laz 2.0.2 r60954

I'm sure it's something I'm doing. I recompiled Lazarus to include the DCPCiphers and DCPHashes modules ... maybe I screwed something up.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018