Recent

Author Topic: Laz  (Read 6352 times)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Laz
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 03:00:04 pm »
Well then sorry, I mistook your statement.

It was clear that the exact figure "37%" was a gamble. But your first sentence was:
I believe that the popularity of Lazarus can be greatly enhanced very easily by our community.
Which I took for, in your believe (i.e. you think of it as being true), the given steps will "greatly enhanced very easily by our community"

I admit I misread the next part. You are not actually lobbying for an official name change. You actually try to convince members of the existing community (which you are free to try).

I was mislead here, as usually the prediction - or as I called it promise - of a positive event like the one  given by you, is tightly coupled to a request for some change in the product itself.

Now that I realized that this is not the case, this changes the remainder of my response.
It is still valid in sofar that those members of the community that would be willing to partake in your proposed gamble could ask for some bargain that might it make worth their time (speculation on my part).
After all they might otherwise question your prediction, as they do not know you. And anyone can make any prediction. If it fails, it does not cost anything. And as I said, such failings have happened before. This is not to say that a proposed action would come to a zero effect. Only that the effect, if noticeable at all, will in most cases be nowhere near the predicted level. (which in your case is "greatly", and therefore already wide open to interpretation to begin with).

Btw, I have a hunch that in order to get a hype, a certain product similar to Lazarus might shorten there name to "Del". Due to the pun in it, with hindsight to the declining situation, this may be a huge success... :)

I wouldn't bet on it though. If it was indeed tried, and did not work, I would decline any responsibility.

My 2 cents.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 03:07:16 pm »
I don't see that calling the Lazarus and Free Pascal programming environment "Laz" would advance the prospects of the environment at all, let alone greatly.

A functioning foundation to promote Lazarus and Free Pascal would be more beneficial in my opinion. How more beneficial remains to be seen and depends on... ok, I won't hijack this thread :)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 03:07:26 pm »
Besides, that nick is occasionally being used already
https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&q="laz"+site%3Aforum.lazarus.freepascal.org&oq="laz"+site%3Aforum.lazarus.freepascal.org

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 03:24:44 pm »
Well to stay somewhat on topic: improving popularity

This is of course important. And it is good to see that people care about it.

But to actually get it done, always requires manpower.

I.e. name-change or nick-naming. That is branding. It requires research what brand will actually help (Who knows if "Laz" would be received positive or negative).
Such a brand needs then to be advertised in some form. I.e. it needs to be presented to people who do not yet know the product. Those who already know it will judge the product by its abilities/features/... The name will have a lesser effect on them. Those who still have to get to know it, they may potentially be affected by a name. But only if that name is being brought to their attention. And that requires manpower. Spread the word/name.

About the research. As mentioned it may suggest "laz"iness.
There is also an ethnic group https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laz_people
So there are risk factors.

An example were this has happened: When 2.0. was released, someone (I am not sure who) from the German forum contacted a German IT magazine (CT). They actually published a few lines. I assume those lines were actually what was sent to them. So probably that user took the work, to prepare the text.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:30:02 pm by Martin_fr »

lucamar

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 04:07:05 pm »
I'm speculating that, without changing the name Lazarus, if the community often referred to it affectionately as Laz, [...snip...]

We do refer to it as "Laz" lots of times, as in "I'm on Laz 2.0.2"; but that's not "affectionately": it's to save on electrons. Just like we use FPC instead of wasting electricity to transmit the full name. :D
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 02:14:17 pm »
From the urban dictionary:
LAZ
the act of attempting (unsuccessfully) to steal someone's thunder

Not a very propitious suggestion really!

af0815

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 07:12:47 pm »
Lazarus is often used for health organizations in the german language area.

The shortform Laz have no known impact (by me)
regards
Andreas

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 05:54:57 pm »
- github as US hosted company will never be a primary mirror, so whatever accounts it has is irrelevant for the discussion.
one needs to stress, it's not just US hosted company. It's Microsoft hosted company xD

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/19/07/26/2157202/github-starts-blocking-developers-in-countries-facing-us-trade-sanctions

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2019, 06:19:14 pm »
[https://tech.slashdot.org/story/19/07/26/2157202/github-starts-blocking-developers-in-countries-facing-us-trade-sanctions
Well, then I open up one of my domains. Nelly the elephant (trumpety trump) bores me all the time...Except by the Toy Dolls, of course, that makes sense.
Specialize a type, not a var.

RAW

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2019, 08:46:57 pm »
ThaddHub  :D

Trump is a pawn, so don't waste your time ...  :P
If he doesn't do what they want, he will be KENNEDY 2.0 !
Windows 7 Pro (x64 Sp1) & Windows XP Pro (x86 Sp3).

TinyPortal © 2005-2018