Recent

Author Topic: FP and Embarcadero  (Read 5356 times)

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
Re: FP and Embarcadero
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 07:04:16 pm »
This was a long time in the past! It all doesn't matter anymore.

I don't think FPC (or anyone in the community) provides the latest iOS headers.
The issue was brought up regarding macOS headers, and those have not been updated since 10.10.

So, even if Delphi did use FPC once, they stopped using it either.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 07:23:00 pm »
 More people are disillusioned with Mac desktop targets, simply because it seems to be the worst of both worlds. Commercial (and limited, expensive models to choose from) and in flux.

I had that feeling too, and quit Mac during the PPC->intel transition (and the formal carbon deprecation).

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 07:41:20 pm »
Commercial (and limited, expensive models to choose from) and in flux.
Still 7% of world shipment and 12% of US shipment is not that bad.

(as well as 25% of tablet market. Having macOS/iOS as an application target is still something to consider)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:50:58 pm by skalogryz »

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 09:10:03 pm »
Commercial (and limited, expensive models to choose from) and in flux.
Still 7% of world shipment and 12% of US shipment is not that bad.

(as well as 25% of tablet market. Having macOS/iOS as an application target is still something to consider)

That also depends on the profession. macOS/iOS usage by scientists, for example, is likely much higher. Anecdotal, but they seem to dominate at conferences I attend.
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

lucamar

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 09:53:55 pm »
That also depends on the profession. macOS/iOS usage by scientists, for example, is likely much higher. Anecdotal, but they seem to dominate at conferences I attend.

Yes, they are also seen a lot in the entertainment industry. The editorial and music sectors are chocked full of Macs and IPads.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 10:00:10 pm »
Yes, they are also seen a lot in the entertainment industry. The editorial and music sectors are chocked full of Macs and IPads.
Should an assumption be made, where there's a "show" (event/conference/public coffee drinking) happening the number of macs increases?

while there's almost none, in a humble office work? xD

lucamar

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 11:50:47 pm »
Should an assumption be made, where there's a "show" (event/conference/public coffee drinking) happening the number of macs increases?

Good point :D

But no, I meant in editorial offices, studios and places like that. There's rather a lot of serious work being done there.

That goes for normal Macs and even MacBooks. The iPads are another thing altogether ;D
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 01:57:20 am »
If you wandered around the technology university (Australia) where I used to work until 2017, 90% of the students were using Apple Macbooks. The other 10% were mainly using Dell laptops.

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 06:13:29 am »

No, these are daily work machines, or used in conjunction with iMac desktops. iPads are widely used for field data and image collection using map based GIS-type applications, or giving lectures using Keynote and Apple TV. Just speaking from personal experience with US and some foreign university colleagues.

I should be porting to iOS, but thus far the barrier has been too high.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 06:22:59 am by VTwin »
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 09:12:05 am »
Embarcadero uses Free Pascal code, and it's distributed in its Delphi versions (that's for sure).

Also, if they are using FP code, may be they would like to contribute to it?

They are not anymore afaik, only that one version to bridge their time problems. And that bad product gave FPC a bad name, so I think for FPC it was a netto negative experience.
At least they can't complain about us cloning their API anymore considering that they used FPC themselves once :P

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 12:58:38 am »

I see an awful lot of Surface tablets/convertables on conferences and corporate presentations. But they are more in business than in science of creative circles. (and basically they are just fancy laptops)

From what I see I'd say that Apple (laptop+tablet) has taken a dent in the more business oriented world in recent years. Seems no longer to be manager's favorite toy.

On trains, tablets as a formfactor seems to have taken a dive completely. Seem to be replaced by outsized telephones or thin laptops/convertables. (though most of them were used for watching movies anyway, so you wonder if they were used for much custom software at all, or just media consummation devices and VOIP terminals).

Therefore, I'd say for iOS devices I'd go for software sales (and then preferably outside the top so many, don't want to count gigantic but meaningless numbers for Google,facebook,whatsapp c.s. and the more pro games) rather than for device shipments as an estimate for the iOS custom software market.

That also goes for Android of course, but I doubt the figures would be as conclusive anyway :-)

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 02:00:02 am »
I should be porting to iOS, but thus far the barrier has been too high.

Yes, given that Apple was sending messages that they expected to see iOS on their laptop like devices, especially the lower end ones. And OSX only on the high power workstation like things.  iOS may well be the bigger market than OSX ....

And it terms of what we see people using, I believe Apple are good at paying the Movie makers for 'placement' much like the tobacco people. And its an effective strategy.

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

TinyPortal © 2005-2018