Recent

Author Topic: Embeding editors in the main form  (Read 1510 times)

lucamar

Embeding editors in the main form
« on: June 25, 2019, 12:28:45 am »
On Windows you can maximize the main Lazarus form (the one with the menu and the control's palette) and it stays in its correct (constrained?) size. On Linux, though, it maximizes to the full work area, leaving everything hidden behind it.

That got me thinking, is there some simple way (other than installing the docked IDE packkages, please) of embedding the primary source-editors form into that main form?

Probably not, huh? So, in that case, and for those who know: would it be too difficult to implement? Say, for example, by moving the editors to a frame and inserting that into an independent form or the main form, config depending.

I've been eye-greping the sources (lightly) and it looks like it could be done  with realtive easy but I've the head on other projects and may be missing some crucial detail ... :-[

While I'm at it I may look into embedding the Messages window into the editors. That would be nice too.

Just imagine: a really integrated base DE with extra windows poping up when you want them and down when you don't.  :)
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

avra

• Additional info
Re: Embeding editors in the main form
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:13:51 am »
I may look into embedding the Messages window into the editors.
I used this ages ago: http://svn.code.sf.net/p/lazarus-ccr/svn/components/manualdock
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 08:57:58 am »
Just imagine: a really integrated base DE with extra windows poping up when you want them and down when you don't.  :)
Why don't you simply install the AnchorDockingDsgn package plus maybe the Sparta_DockedFormEditor? You'll have a fully integrated IDE then (I use that configuration on both Windows and Linux).

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 01:49:43 pm »
You can do it for your own Lazarus build. The manual dock package should probably give enough hints...

I think for the official IDE it is good enough to have anchor docking and sparta (and the "desktops" feature). That should give you all of the integration? Or what part is missing?
(And one day the may be pre-installed by default)

Not my cup of tea.

I run the IDE across more than one monitor. So fully docked does not work.

Also I do not want anything else on my source-editors (plural). The occupy the full heigh of my screen (everything else goes left, or right, or on another monitor).
That way I get as many lines of source as I can.
Back in the days when screens where smaller, I used the "hide tabs, if only one unit is open" feature. So I would even save the space for the tab.

I like the freedom of having control over each window. But it is good that there is a choice for people with different habits.

lucamar

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 06:22:17 pm »
I also prefer to have the IDE undocked and my (admitedly small) experiences with the anchor docking and sparta packages have been ... sub-optimal, let 's say.

What I was thinking is that I like to have the main window ""maximized" on top and the editors ocupying as much space as they can without completely hiding the menu. Something like in the attached image.

Not much problem in Windows but in Linux, when you maximize the main window it really maximizes, covering the full work area with a mostly-empty form. My idea was that since that is so, one may as well insert the editors in that empty area and have direct access to the main menu w/out alt-tabbing or having to reach for the rodent.

You can do it for your own Lazarus build. The manual dock package should probably give enough hints...

That was the idea. I'm not advocating this as a general measure; I just wanted to ascertain, from those who know, whether it was easily workable in a reasonable time (say a couple or three hours) with small enough  changes so as to be easily incorporated into new releases when they come out.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018