Recent

Author Topic: Porting TurboCash to Freepascal  (Read 1369 times)

ssliackus

Porting TurboCash to Freepascal
« on: June 21, 2019, 11:35:37 am »
Hi all,

There is aka free accounting software TurboCash, it seems outdated and not in development, but its code is freely available (https://sourceforge.net/projects/turbocash/)
I wonder how daunting is the task to port that code to FreePascal. The aim of that is to be able to compile/run program natively on Linux, maybe develop further, improve, earn money and give the funds back to FPC/Lazarus community  ;)

Thanks for your ideas.

S

howardpc

Re: Porting TurboCash to Freepascal
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 11:40:07 am »
The .zip available at that link is corrupt and cannot be unpacked.
Do you have other sources?

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 11:50:38 am »
Didn't some dutch fork of TurboCash already try that ? Osfinancials or so. They had a "porting to TP/Lazarus" area in their forum.

https://www.osfinancials.org/

Haven't heard much from either (Turbocash/osfinancials) since 2010 or so. Haven't checked either.

rvk

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 11:55:32 am »
https://wiki.freepascal.org/Current_conversion_projects#osFinancials
osFinancials

The port of this open source project will not be easy, but Rome was not built in one day. The new version does allow interacting with the database through the SQL db components. I have created an example to create a plugin for osFinancials. I had some problems with the new components, but I am sure all this will disappear with time and one day I can fully compile the project in Lazarus. I do have a need for the memdataset to be able to mimic the clientdataset. This will need an XML parser (I am thinking of TJanXmlTree from Jan Verhoeven) and the dataset will need to support blobdata. I will try to see if i can implement this and use the component in Delphi and Lazarus. I will use this component to write the external links to PHP websites (like the osCommerce plugin and the new one I am making for V-Tiger). I use Clientdata set just as a memdataset in the code but I also need the part where the XML datapacket is translated to the dataset and the ability to save to this format.

Delphidreamer

Warning: osFinancials code uses old Delphi commercial visual components that are no longer available. Porting osFinancials itself is hard because of this.

Update 2014: meanwhile, all attempts at converting seem to have halted; there seems to be effort to migrate from Delphi-specific components. It looks like this effort has been abandoned, making osFinancials open source but fairly useless for development unless you happen to have the required Delphi version and components.

ssliackus

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 09:39:47 pm »
Thank you guys, perfect answer.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018