Recent

Author Topic: recompiling the RTL, how ?  (Read 421 times)

jamie

recompiling the RTL, how ?
« on: May 31, 2019, 10:06:10 pm »
I found a "BuildRTL" project in the Win32 folder under the fpc and it opens in Lazarus but it fails with a
complaint of not having a proper assembler reader for the system unit.

Can some one lay out the steps I need to do, to recompile the RTL? I don't want to compile the compiler, just
the RTL because there is code that needs to be fixed!

This is for windows.
Number 1 at blue screen app creations!

marcov

• Global Moderator
Re: recompiling the RTL, how ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 10:09:17 pm »
Sounds all very complicated what you do.

With a somewhat normal configuration (like a default windows FPC install), it should be simply executing "make"  in rtl/win32.

jamie

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 10:49:47 pm »
Since there is a project for laz already in the Win32 folder of the Fpc, I assumed it was able to
recompile the rtl files?

apparently some files, like the CLASSES for example are compiled into the system unit and there for
its requires to compile the complete set.

I suppose I could install another instance of Lazarus and build from there, I already have a 32 and 64 bit
install, do you think I can get another pair to install without issues ?
Number 1 at blue screen app creations!

marcov

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 10:54:41 pm »
Since there is a project for laz already in the Win32 folder of the Fpc, I assumed it was able to
recompile the rtl files?

Afaik that is only meant for debugging the RTL, not for usage of units beyond the RTL\.

apparently some files, like the CLASSES for example are compiled into the system unit and there for  its requires to compile the complete set.

If you use any dependent units, you have to recompile everything yes.

I usually compile a toplevel make all and make install , followed by a

lazbuild --build-ide=

for the lazarus ide.

BrunoK

• Retired programmer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 10:51:47 am »
See my message in
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,45317.msg320411.html#msg320411

That's what I routinely use to build my modified version of FPC 3.0.4 based on https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_4a_macos_10_14. Don't bother that it is for MAC , it works also very well  for windows.
Lazarus trunk r. 62137/27.10.2019 (+/- patches regarding TScrollBar, IntitalSetupDialog, Options.Environment options, SearchResults).  Lazarus 3.0.6 raw from svn.
FPC 3.0.4 32 bits. (+heaptrc with leaked ClassName+Revisited TList) , Windows 10 Pro x64 (v. 1903 / 18362.418)