Recent

Author Topic: Lazurus vs CodeTyphoon for cross-compiling GUI applications?  (Read 8842 times)

Peter H

Re: Lazurus vs CodeTyphoon for cross-compiling GUI applications?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 06:30:46 pm »
There is no problem I know of. It doesnt interfere with other FPC/Lazarus installations.

It behaves like a portable software or like an installation made with fpcupdeluxe.
On windows Installation of directx is required.

The big IDE compiles only on a 64 bit OS.
In a 32 bit OS only the small IDE is compiled. But after this you can compile the medium sized IDE on a 32 bit OS.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:33:23 pm by Peter H »

Wysardry

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 07:16:15 pm »
Thanks. I'll most likely start learning with fccupdeluxe and Lazarus for Windows 10 applications using LCL and possibly install CodeTyphoon later if I have issues with compiling for different platforms.

We're moving house soon, so progress will likely be slow as I won't have as much free time as I would like.

Zoran

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zoran
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 09:29:14 pm »
I think that cross compilation is often overvalued.

You should be able to test all targets to which you want to distribute your application. You wouldn't offer untested binaries, would you?

And for proper testing, you need to install all OS-s which your application targets (on either real or virtual machine).
Then, when you have another OS installed anyway, isn't it better to install the IDE there and compile your application there natively?

Having said that, I'm not saying that you might not need it sometimes after all -- there are targets where Lazarus IDE cannot be installed, so development must be done on another OS, but if the IDE can be installed, better avoid cross compiling.

So, think well if you really need it -- (apart from 32-bit to 64-bit on Windows, which is a simple setup on plain Lazarus distribution), cross-compiling between main OS-s (Linux, Windows, OSX) is hardly ever needed.

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 09:31:10 pm »
Thanks. I'll most likely start learning with fccupdeluxe and Lazarus for Windows 10 applications using LCL and possibly install CodeTyphoon later if I have issues with compiling for different platforms.

I started using FPCupDeluxe regularly just a few months back, and it has been awesome to manage.   I'm only building for Windows x86 & x64 targets, but the cross compiling is pretty easy nonetheless.

We're moving house soon, so progress will likely be slow as I won't have as much free time as I would like.

All the best with that.  :)   

Lots of work there.

-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 02:42:56 am »
I agree with Zoran, at least in my experience. While the interface code is perhaps 98% cross platform on Win, Lin, and Mac, there are little differences that should be checked. Sometimes just control placements that may be messed up because of differences in native control sizes. I've also found Windows to throw math exceptions that Mac does not.

On a side note, I know a developer who uses Xojo (aka REALbasic), and releases Linux cross-compiled binaries without any testing at all. In my mind, that is irresponsible.

In terms of getting started, just download the latest stable Windows version. Installation is straightforward, no hiccups, it works great out of the box. Don't worry about  FPCupDeluxe or CT. After you get some time in, you can look further into cross-platform options.
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

Wysardry

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 03:31:51 am »
Mostly, compiling for other platforms would be for the benefit of others who might wish to use the finished program. The majority of those people aren't likely to want to compile the source code themselves, but some might be willing to test new releases of executable files.

I do have a ten year old laptop with Windows 7 on that I could put Linux on instead at some point, but it's fairly slow so it would likely be quicker to cross-compile on the faster Windows 10 machine.

I also have a Kindle Fire tablet, although I'd need to research how to install non-Amazon apps on that.

Unless I see a cheap Mac for sale at the right time I probably won't be able to test for that platform myself.

Zoran

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zoran
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 08:44:58 am »
Unless I see a cheap Mac for sale at the right time I probably won't be able to test for that platform myself.

And of course, you won't make and distribute cross-compiled binaries for Mac.

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 04:15:45 pm »
I do have a ten year old laptop with Windows 7 on that I could put Linux on instead at some point, but it's fairly slow so it would likely be quicker to cross-compile on the faster Windows 10 machine.

I suggest installing VirtualBox on the Windows 10 machine with Ubuntu. 
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

MacWomble

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 04:29:10 pm »
Does anyone know if it is possible to install both Lazarus and CodeTyphoon on Windows 10 together without them clashing?

Yes, it's possible. But CT uses renamed Project files and some libraries are also renamed (I like their name schema)

There are tools to convert projects between Lazarus and CT.
Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, FPC/ Lazarus Trunk 64Bit

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 04:34:38 pm »

I suggest installing VirtualBox on the Windows 10 machine with Ubuntu. 

For medium low end computer, I suggest to use Ubuntu Mate. It's more lightweight than Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

Xubuntu and Lubuntu look a bit old, but they are even more lightweight than Ubuntu Mate.

wp

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 04:34:48 pm »
You'll still have to test your Linux version, compilation is only half of the story. I also have a 10 year old notebook which was ok with Windows 7 but too slow for and not fully supported by Win 10. I installed a light-weight Linux (Mint Xfce), and now it is fully usable again, much faster than the many virtual machines that I have on my main PC.

Wysardry

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 05:10:46 pm »
I'm not looking forward to choosing a Linux distribution to install, but realistically that will be months away anyway. I'll most likely look into what software I'd like to install and which flavours they support first.

Performance shouldn't really be an issue - even for an older machine - as the programs I have in mind wouldn't be much more complex than something like Thingamablog or ADRIFT.

kveroneau

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 09:22:24 pm »

And of course, you won't make and distribute cross-compiled binaries for Mac.

I personally purchased a cheap MacBook for the sole purpose of cross-compiling and testing said programs in their native environment.  But I fully understand the price for a MacOS X machine, and it is 100% possible to run MacOS X in VirtualBox... just don't tell Tim Cook, or he'll have you hung.  Here's a blog post with everything you need to get OS X running inside VirtualBox for those interested on cross-compiling to OS X, but don't have the financial means to purchase a cheap Mac for this purpose.

[ link deleted ]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:28:31 pm by Martin_fr »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 10:28:14 pm »
Please do not post to illegal downloads (OsX images for VBox) here.

Deleted links from your post.

---
See this link for what is allowed, and what not: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=92649
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:31:30 pm by Martin_fr »

kveroneau

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 01:09:04 am »
Please do not post to illegal downloads (OsX images for VBox) here.

Deleted links from your post.

---
See this link for what is allowed, and what not: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=92649

I apologize for that, it was a blog post, but it did provide a VMDK and did go through what the above VirtualBox forum post says shouldn't be posted.  Apple should provide legal VM images for cross-platform developers for a fee, as it will allow more devs to test out their applications on their platform.  In the meantime, for developers here who do wish to cross-compile and test on MacOS X, I did manage to find this nice service which might be very useful to you:  https://www.macincloud.com/

It provides, for a small fee, a Mac in the cloud, which appears to be a legal service, where OS X is running on licensed MacOS X hardware.  Might be worth spinning up a Jenkins instance and using lazbuild to allow for the compiling of OS X programs, and then the later testing of said program in the cloud.  It's not cheap, but for a one-off compile and test, it might be worth it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018