Recent

Author Topic: Running Cheetah visual component / "Developed with Freepascal"  (Read 2953 times)

kupferstecher

The running cheetah on the bottom of the website always catches my eyes. It's running and running and running...
I wanted to have it in my application in the about dialog to advertise FreePascal and Lazarus.
Therefore I made a visual component, see attached screenshot.

After installation of the package, the component can be found under the component pallet "Additional" and be dropped to the form. The "running cheetah" is animated (of course).

The size is fixed to prevent blurring.
There is an issue under high-dpi settings, Lazarus scales the component, which leads to wrong width and height. Perhaps someone can give me a hint on how to do it correctly.

About the licence of the 'running cheetah' graphic I didn't find anything. Hope it's OK to share it. I dowloaded it from the wiki.

Testet under Windows 7 and Linux Mint.
You can find the component under the following address:

https://github.com/kupferstecher/LPkgRunningCheetah

Regards~

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: Running Cheetah visual component / "Developed with Freepascal"
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:16:31 pm »
The running cheetah on the bottom of the website always catches my eyes. It's running and running and running...
There are those that would argue that it catches their eyes in a negative way :'(

kupferstecher

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:02 am »
Yes, they are not to be envied  ;)

But surely I wouldn't put it in the main screen of the application.

wp

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 11:56:33 am »
And why waste the precious place on the component palette for an animation control which can only display the running cheetah? Why not make it more versatile to accept an other sequence of images, just like the JVCL's TJvAnimatedImage or TJvBmpAnimator (http://wiki.freepascal.org/JVCL_Components#JvMM)?

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 12:29:16 pm »
And why waste the precious place on the component palette for an animation control which can only display the running cheetah? Why not make it more versatile to accept an other sequence of images, just like the JVCL's TJvAnimatedImage or TJvBmpAnimator (http://wiki.freepascal.org/JVCL_Components#JvMM)?
If you are on Windows, maybe? Last time I looked jvcl is useless on Linux.

Component works correct. Used it already...  :D btw easy to adapt to take any GIF.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:31:32 pm by Thaddy »
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

kupferstecher

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 12:48:08 pm »
And why waste the precious place on the component palette for [...]
I don't see it as wasted space, otherwise I wouldn't have taken the efforts to create the component.

Why not make it more versatile to accept an other sequence of images, just like the JVCL's TJvAnimatedImage or TJvBmpAnimator (http://wiki.freepascal.org/JVCL_Components#JvMM)?
The idea is to make the "branding" as easy as possible*. The best would be if it was already preinstalled in Lazarus. The thing is, normally a developer doesn't want to spend time on such a thing, because it doesn't make the application any better. But if it doesn't cost a thought, why not. So my intention is that others use it so that FreePascal and Lazarus are getting some advertise by that. And one can't overlook the running cheetah.

Adding some other Freepascal logos maybe is a good thing, tastes are different.

*Edit: This includes, that the graphic is included as Lazarus-Ressource so that a standalone binary is possible. I know, its possible with an assignable graphic as well. Internally I didn't use the gif format, becasue as far as I know the color pallet is limited to a small quantity of colours. The running cheetah itself comes from a gif, but the background has a slightly color gradient (And could be improved, I'm not a graphic designer).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:57:13 pm by kupferstecher »

wp

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 01:00:34 pm »
If you are on Windows, maybe? Last time I looked jvcl is useless on Linux.
Then you did not look for a long time. (I agree that most of the original JVCL is useless on Linux, but that what is currently available in our repo does work).

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 01:02:20 pm »
Fair enough. Problems with arm. But it works on intel, afaikt now.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 01:26:22 pm »
Let's not forget existing http://wiki.freepascal.org/Poweredby
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

kupferstecher

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 05:52:24 pm »
@avra: I saw that before, but its more like a splash screen.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018