Recent

Author Topic: When will Cocoa be stable?  (Read 12084 times)

time-killer-games

When will Cocoa be stable?
« on: April 05, 2019, 02:29:58 am »
Right now, I'm only seeing 32-bit Lazarus available for Mac in the downloads. I assume because you guys are still gutting out the dependency on Carbon and replacing it with Cocoa. Is there a specific topic or blog I can look at to keep myself up to date on the stability status and release date of the Cocoa IDE and widget set? I'm honestly not even going to consider using Lazarus until I see a 64-bit download for Mac on the home page, because I consider that platform to be much more desirable than Linux, and as a standard when I make desktop software, I always want to support modern Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms at the bare minimum, if not Windows and Mac if I have no choice on dropping Linux support.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: When will Cocoa be stable?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 09:20:40 pm »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 09:39:33 pm »
As far as I know, the 32bit download allows compiling to 32 ad 64bits.

The IDE also includes the cocoa code, so you can build your projects or (rebuild) the IDE for 64bit cocoa if you want.

You can then get your own impression what currently works, and what still needs to get done.

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 04:47:20 am »
I currently compile on Win, Lin, and Mac 64 bit only. The Cocoa platform is now stable enough (beta I guess) if you use the 2.0.0 fixes svn. I assume the upcoming 2.0.2 will have incorporated most or all of these fixes.

The Roadmap is not completely up to date, for example TListView and TImageList are now working in Cocoa.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 05:06:08 am by VTwin »
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

Leledumbo

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 06:19:23 am »
The Roadmap is not completely up to date, for example TListView and TImageList are now working in Cocoa.
Of course, it's manually updated after all, but at least it gets updated from time to time. Either the author of respective component or someone who knows it like you (I don't target Mac, so I don't know).

Hansaplast

• Tweaking4All.com
    • Tweaking4All
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 09:03:46 am »
I currently compile on Win, Lin, and Mac 64 bit only. The Cocoa platform is now stable enough (beta I guess) if you use the 2.0.0 fixes svn. I assume the upcoming 2.0.2 will have incorporated most or all of these fixes.

I agree with VTwin - I too develop for Windows, Linux and MacOS Cocoa (64 bit) and would agree that Cocoa is at least in beta phase.
The very vast majority seems to work just fine for Cocoa (thanks to all the folks for putting in the hard work!).

The only thing that is still not quite right yet, is working with visual components in the IDE, which at times has minor glitches.

As for updating the Roadmap; VTwin - maybe you and I can briefly go through the list and see what we think needs to be updated in the Roadmap? I just took a peek and for my feeling, it may need quite an update for Cocoa.

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 09:24:10 am »
Unfortunately, the Cocoa widgetset isn't an official project of the Foundation.

If you want to speed up the development of the Cocoa interface you might want start a bounty or to support skalogryz at Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/skalogryz/posts
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

Hansaplast

• Tweaking4All.com
    • Tweaking4All
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 09:36:41 am »
FWIW:
I highly recommend making individual donations to Dmitry to show your appreciation or set out a bounty for him (I used PayPal a few times to send him a donation - you may want to PM skalogryz if you'd like to do this as well).

I myself do not like the Patreon approach (it's just a hobby for me), but Dmitry deserves a little financial support/motivation.  :D

AlexTP

• UVviewsoft
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 01:11:17 pm »
>The Roadmap is not completely up to date

Updated it for Cocoa. All I could test today.

Wallaby

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 02:07:03 pm »
I highly recommend making individual donations to Dmitry to show your appreciation or set out a bounty for him (I used PayPal a few times to send him a donation - you may want to PM skalogryz if you'd like to do this as well).
 do not like the Patreon approach (it's just a hobby for me), but Dmitry deserves a little financial support/motivation.  :D

Good idea. I have just PMd skalogryz/Dmitry regarding financial contributions in exchange for certain Cocoa widgetset fixes and improvements.

My applications target Windows, Linux and macOS and the latter definitely needs some work. Happy to pay to see macOS support get better.

Leledumbo

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 05:44:45 pm »

Looks almost production ready, it looks even better than Carbon in a lot of categories.

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 06:28:53 pm »
Looks almost production ready, it looks even better than Carbon in a lot of categories.

That is true, but support for printing is still missing (and highly needed).
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 08:12:27 pm »
Wow, thanks. The Roadmap looks great now. A couple of notes:

TUpDown is partially implemented, it works but does not redraw the arrows.
TToolBar seems to be working fine, but please check.
TTreeView occasionally draws text upside down, but I have not isolated that bug.

Yes, in many respects Cocoa is now better than Carbon. I used to have workarounds for controls that would fire events when set in code, a lingering Carbon bug. Excellent work on Cocoa!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:33:05 pm by VTwin »
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

Hansaplast

• Tweaking4All.com
    • Tweaking4All
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 08:27:56 pm »

Awesome!
And ... VTwin to beat me to it...  :)

Just wondering how we qualify something as "working" (I mean that as a serious question).
Do we mean "it works" even though it may not look right for the given OS/widgetset?
Or should it be fully compliant with the OS/widgetset?

I've been using TPairSplitter successfully in one of my Cocoa projects, so I've set that to "Working".

TValueListEditor, TupDown and TtoolBar work (mostly) as well even though they do not really look like they'd match the macOS style.

Note 1: I'm using Lazarus from trunk, macOS 10.14.4.

Note 2: Treeview showing occasionally upside down, see also this forum topic.
However, I have not seen this happen on my setup in a long time.
Again: running from trunk, so maybe this has been addressed.

Hansaplast

• Tweaking4All.com
    • Tweaking4All
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 08:39:06 pm »
p.s.

TPrintDialog and TPrinterSetupDialog seem to popup just fine. TPageSetupDialog does not.

Unfortunately, I haven't done much with printing under Lazarus, so I don't know if the usual suspects (canvas and such) work.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018