Recent

Author Topic: How to package all proj data?  (Read 2003 times)

stephanweber

How to package all proj data?
« on: April 03, 2019, 09:11:26 am »
Hi,

I have a bunch of units in most of my Lazarus projects, e.g. some old ones even working in TP4, some in Delphi7 folder, some in my Lazarus proj folders. If I want to make a backup or handover all to another programmer, it is difficult not to forget some units (or even components) :(.
Is there an export or packaging tool for Lazarus projects? E.g. a tool which either puts all into a single proj dir and a bug tgz file? Or a tool which would restore the files in the old original directories (maybe even with mapping of dirs to new locations)??
Note: My main problem is that I have still many older units, which I created for TP or Delphi, so basic units in folders like c:\BP\Units or c:\program files\Borland\Delphi\Graphic, etc. But I also don't want copy all, better just the stuff which is really used.

Bye Stephan
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:22:02 pm by stephanweber »

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
Re: How to package all proj data?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:47:11 am »
Never used it, and it's not exactly what you asked for, but there's a menu option:  Project > Publish project...  As I've said I didn't used it and I don't know how does it work exactly, but may be it is a good start point.
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 11:16:31 am »
That is the wrong (delphi) mindset. Lazarus is open source, and much easier.

In a few similar cases I kept it all in one directory with lazarus and all and then zipped it. Components installed and all, and with the working lazarus version.

Lazarus can be made fairly location independent, and doesn't need much installation (you lose file associations, but meh)

I did this for a few special cases where I had to hand over a customer everything (where another programmer might need to change things in a distant future). Actually being able to do this was one of the reasons of doing it in Lazarus instead of Delphi. Future client does not need licenses etc etc.

In normal situations/projects I work with everything in version control (SVN in my case) on a humble raspberry pi, from which I rsync svn backups to a NAS at work for offsite backup (but that could be another rpi at your parents')

This also means new work is quickly off the machine (backup),
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:20:10 am by marcov »

creaothceann

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 10:38:33 am »
In a few similar cases I kept it all in one directory with lazarus and all and then zipped it.

Could be a few hundred MB though...

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 11:05:25 am »
In a few similar cases I kept it all in one directory with lazarus and all and then zipped it.

Could be a few hundred MB though...

Yes. In theory you could try to deduplicate multiple copies, or cut down everything, but I never bothered. Admitted I do it only with a few projects with very long lifetimes and source-to-customer, for the rest I use SVN.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018