Recent

Author Topic: Invisible Install [Solved good enough]  (Read 3677 times)

Ruptor

Invisible Install [Solved good enough]
« on: March 14, 2019, 06:27:01 pm »
I am using the latest 32 bit Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and  downloaded the Lazarus 2.0.0 DEB files with the FPC 3.0.4-1. I used the software installer on the FPC source first then FPC bin then Lazarus and everything seemed to go smoothly that had me worried since it doesn't usually. I went to start my project with the new Lazarus but Ubuntu doesn't seem to know about Lazarus because the files are just seen as text files. In synaptic the three packages show as installed and the only option is to remove them. There is no launch icon on the bar like with Lazarus 1.8.4 either so it is as if the files might be in the right place as a package but not set up. What have I done wrong? I haven't seen anything like this before so don't know what to do.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:37:23 pm by Ruptor »

Ruptor

Re: Invisible Install
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:51:39 pm »
Trying to find out how to run the new install I found a file called "StartLazarus" in directory usr/share/lazarus/2.0.0
I ran it and it claimed there was a set up file 1.8.4 but I had used synaptic to remove the old Lazarus. Anyway running the file it said it would upgrade things and my program opened up as normal and actually compiled. The heading of the Lazarus environment however says "rUnversioned directory" which is weird and when I started Lazarus again it locked with a faded splash screen. I quit it and the third time it started up again so clearly it is all screwed up but how do I fix it?

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 07:01:54 pm »
Please tell us the steps you performed for installing the Lazarus.

And maybe you can try this wiki page:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_Linux

Ruptor

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:14:39 pm »
Please tell us the steps you performed for installing the Lazarus.
As I said I used the software installer on the DEB files. One just simply right clicks the DEB file and selects the "open with software install". The files are all installed but the system associations etc are not set up so the system doesn't have a launch icon and it is difficult to find any trace that Lazarus exists. If I go to my project it opens as a text file. ::)

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 11:30:47 am »
Firstly, in the wiki page Handoko mentions it says -

On a DEB based system, you almost certainly should use gdebi to install any downloaded DEB.

Please don't use the Ubuntu Software Install  tool with downloaded debs. There are reports of the 16.04 version making a number of 'mistakes' installing downloaded debs and the 1.8.4 one still has some issues.

Your issue with reports about 1.8.4 makes sense if you have had 1.8.4 running in the past. On any (recent) version of Lazarus, the config ends up in $HOME/.lazarus    So, when you bring up a different version it will find it. And generally offer to update it, reasonable thing to do.

Not having menu and icons installed for Lazarus is more interesting. Looks like the deb puts an icon in /usr/share/pixmaps/lazarus.png   - is that present ? For it to be used, the desktop file must exist - /usr/share/applications/lazarus.desktop  - is that present ?

Are you are expecting to be able to double click on a .lpr file and have the OS load up Lazarus for you ?  Not sure it will. Cannot test as I don't install Lazarus from Debs. Anyone ?

Honestly, assuming you still have the install debs handy, first thing I would do is use synaptic to remove the all three, use synaptic to install gdebi (if you don't have it already) and then use gdebi to reinstall those debs. Clean out $HOME/.lazarus first if you want to.

Davo

Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Ruptor

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 10:10:21 pm »
Not having menu and icons installed for Lazarus is more interesting. Looks like the deb puts an icon in /usr/share/pixmaps/lazarus.png   - is that present ? For it to be used, the desktop file must exist - /usr/share/applications/lazarus.desktop  - is that present ?
Are you are expecting to be able to double click on a .lpr file and have the OS load up Lazarus for you ?  Not sure it will. Cannot test as I don't install Lazarus from Debs. Anyone ?
Hi Davo
I expect clicking on the Lpi file to open Lazarus since it always has done in the past on all platforms. The files you mentioned are all there. I did a new install of Laz 2.0.0 on Ubuntu 18 using the software install and everything is fine then I went to my Ubuntu 16 computer and did the same thing after using synaptic to remove Laz 1.8.4 but that didn't work. When you mentioned gdebi it rang a bell and was already installed so I must have used it to install Laz 1.8.4 over a year ago but forgot. I am not getting any younger especially installing Lazarus. ::)
I used gdebi to reinstall the DEB files for fpc and Laz 2.0.0 figuring synaptic didn't remove all the 1.8.4 files anyway and the reinstall of 2.0.0 would just add the bits properly that the software install didn't. Now I can see Lazarus in the software list when I search Laz so I can start it but the icon is a rectangle with Lazarus in yellow writing off to one side not the lion head. The Lpi files still doesn't start Lazarus either so using gdebi has made an improvement but not installed it completely as the Icon also doesn't appear in the launch bar like it did with the 1.8.4 install. At least I can use it by starting Lazarus from the application list and don't have to hunt it out through the myriad of directories. :)

dbannon

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 11:19:49 pm »
..... but the icon is a rectangle with Lazarus in yellow writing off to one side not the lion head.
Even stranger. Please have a look at what the icon up in /usr/share/pixmaps/lazarus.png looks like  - lets see if its the lion head or rectangular one ?

The Lpi files still doesn't start Lazarus either
There I cannot help. I only install Lazaus via source (much more flexible) but that way does not install any meta-stuff. I have doc'ed how to set an icon and desktop file but I am afraid I don't know how debs add file associations. You can, of course, do it yourself manually. (maybe right click a .lpr file, choose "Open with another application"...)

... as the Icon also doesn't appear in the launch bar like it did with the 1.8.4 install.
Now, by that do you mean it does not appear at all or that it appears but differently to the way 1.8.4 did ?  (again) I don't use mainstream Ubuntu, I use Mate but from memory, and this may be completely wrong, installing an app does not add it to the  launch bar, you need to start the app, then right click(?) the icon that appears and choose something like "keep in launcher". After that it stays there even when the app is not running.

Appreciate your involvement here Ruptor, we really want to get to bottom of Ubuntu install problems......

Davo

My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Ruptor

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 10:09:18 am »
Hi Davo
The pixmap icon is the head so it isn't taking the icon from pixmap. Other apps like GwenView put their icons in the launch bar as 1.8.4 install did and it was removed when I removed 1.8.4 with synaptic. Even though Lazarus appears in the software list with the different icon it does not appear in the long list of apps that pops up with a right click of the Lpi file.
Since Lazarus 2.0.0 works on 32 bit Ubuntu 16 and has an icon I can click is there any point in fixing the remaining oddities because 32 bit OS is on the way out? As you say I can force the icon to the launch bar so the only weird thing is Lazarus missing from the list of apps on a right click

dbannon

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 10:36:31 am »
Interesting Ruptor, interesting !

Yep, if you can cope with what you have now, go for it !   16.04 was the last of the Canonical's experiment with Unity, when you do upgrade, Unity, and perhaps, the issues you are experiencing, will go away !

Good luck mate.

Davo

Ruptor

Re: Invisible Install [Solved good enough]
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 05:38:23 pm »
Thanks for the help :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018