Recent

Author Topic: Future of Lazarus and MacOS  (Read 8126 times)

HenrikErlandsson

• ^ Happy coder :)
    • Coppershade
Re: Future of Lazarus and MacOS
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 10:33:56 pm »
As for development, I have a Mac, and compilation and execution performance is several times faster with the Windows version in a VM on the Mac, than making native applications on the Mac. I don't know why, but Mac GUI components have been rewritten to not be slowed down by the 5K resolution, and maybe Lazarus and Forms don't yet take advantage of that.
I have "hackintosh" and on same hardware, mac compilation is faster than Windows. Problem is with LCL performance. Maybe too much repainting: https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=34829
Do you have 4K/5K resolution, though? Apple have updated their OS at a low level to cope with the 7.1x higher pixel count compared to 1080p, and may take advantage of the GPU for GUI which Lazarus maybe doesn't? Anyway, this is a lot of theory from my side. I just noticed that it was slower in Mac OSX than in Windows in VM, and the VM is usually a lot slower.
Pushed on stack: 6502 / Z80 / Amiga / ARM assembler, Pascal, Delphi, Lingo, Obj-C, Lua, FPC, C# + web front-/backend.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 02:56:04 am »
As for costs, anything that needs XCode requires a yearly fee of $100 to Apple. You will likely also want to distribute over the App Store, ....
I am not sure thats actually the case. My application, tomboy-ng is pure Lazarus but I require XCode tools to build it. I do not pay Apple's $100 extortion, end users have to hold down a key when first starting the app, after that its OK. I do not distribute it via the App Store. 
I appear to have a number of happy Mac users. Mainly I expect, ones who are, for what ever reason, forced to swap platforms regularly. One of the app's key features is its ability to sync its data between (cross) platforms.

Davo 
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

HenrikErlandsson

• ^ Happy coder :)
    • Coppershade
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 09:40:01 am »
As for costs, anything that needs XCode requires a yearly fee of $100 to Apple. You will likely also want to distribute over the App Store, ....
I am not sure thats actually the case. My application, tomboy-ng is pure Lazarus but I require XCode tools to build it. I do not pay Apple's $100 extortion, end users have to hold down a key when first starting the app, after that its OK. I do not distribute it via the App Store. 
I appear to have a number of happy Mac users. Mainly I expect, ones who are, for what ever reason, forced to swap platforms regularly. One of the app's key features is its ability to sync its data between (cross) platforms.

Davo
It's the case since a few years ago. Without creating the files for signing your application (requiring a dev account), users who don't download the application from the App Store will all have to do the System Prefs maneuver.
Pushed on stack: 6502 / Z80 / Amiga / ARM assembler, Pascal, Delphi, Lingo, Obj-C, Lua, FPC, C# + web front-/backend.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 10:27:08 am »
[It's the case since a few years ago. Without creating the files for signing your application (requiring a dev account), users who don't download the application from the App Store will all have to do the System Prefs maneuver.
Which is for in-house development not really a problem. It is if you want to actually put it in the app-store. I have several applications running in a multi-user setting. You still need a developer license, though.
Specialize a type, not a var.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 01:16:49 pm »
It's the case since a few years ago. Without creating the files for signing your application (requiring a dev account), users who don't download the application from the App Store will all have to do the System Prefs maneuver.

Er, not sure what you mean. By "System Prefs" maneuver, do you mean the holding a key down while starting the app for the first time ?  Or something more complicated ?

As I mentioned, my users are usually cross platform users, generally reasonably skilled and quite happy to fiddle a bit if necessary. I guess dedicated Mac users are probably less willing to step outside the Apple approved lifestyle. Windows users also have to go through a bit of a pantomime too, saying they are really sure they want to run an app by an unknown developer.

David
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 09:38:04 am »
As for costs, anything that needs XCode requires a yearly fee of $100 to Apple.

No it does not. Xcode is free. Xcode commad line executables are also free. Download from the app store.

You only need to pay $US 99 to Apple if you want to sign and notarize your apps for distribution via the app store, or indeed if you wish to make installation of your apps more seamless than requiting the user to control-Click and choose to Open the app the first time. Your $99 also includes two Apple Technical Support Incidents.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018