Recent

Author Topic: [Finished] 2D Platformer Game Contest  (Read 31657 times)

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
Re: 2D Platformer Game Contest 2018/2019
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2018, 02:07:21 am »
At this time with all the ammount of submissions even my slow canvas2D game can be elegible  :D

Now seriously yes, a port is ok too.

Thanks, I'll poke at this old code and see if I can come up with something. Looks like a total rewrite would be required, not so much a port. :)
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2018, 12:35:18 pm »
I have art skills (people said it) but I don't have time.  :'(
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2019, 10:02:53 pm »
Less than 2 months left, there are no submissions and I doubt will be. The reason seems that there is no time to create a demo for the contest, because I think people here has the skills enough (even I built something with pas2js).

Well if there are submissions we can continue, else I think it has no sense on keeping this topic alive, maybe we can start another more general (and less time consuming) game contest or graphics contest, with more simple things to build.

Paul_

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2019, 11:10:43 pm »
I'm working on something, but if there are no other participants it makes no sense.

No submissions yet... The problem as i see it is lack of good game arts. I doubt any of us have the drawing skills necessary  ::)  Effects i can always draw but never a humanoid. Just have to search harder i guess.

It's not big deal, you can draw on the paper which is more simple than draw in graphics editor and then digitalize it. No one wants art like Mona Lisa. Look how is my graphics crappy, but in game it works somehow :) (https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/master-farmer)

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2019, 11:55:16 pm »
Sure i'll likely try something. I tested Lazarus graphics capabilities a bit earlier with Winter demo: http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,43673.0.html  ... and came to easy conclusion that it's not fit for gaming. I mean perhaps if i quarter the canvas size by using 2x scaling and/or using smaller window, but i can get better things done with nxPascal that i'm used to. Feel free to try optimize the demo.

lainz

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2019, 02:15:23 am »
I agree Lazarus is not the right tool to make games, is way much easier to use Unity or tools like that to make games, yesterday I made a simple like mario kart game with an .obj car I downloaded from internet and a map I made with Blender, the thing is that is all drag'n drop plus this few lines of code:

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. // Update is called once per frame
  2.         void Update () {
  3.                 if (Input.GetKey("up"))
  4.         {
  5.             transform.position += this.transform.forward * 10 * Time.deltaTime;
  6.         }
  7.                 if (Input.GetKey("left"))
  8.         {
  9.             transform.Rotate(0, -2, 0);
  10.         }
  11.                 if (Input.GetKey("right"))
  12.                 {
  13.                         transform.Rotate(0, 2, 0);
  14.                 }
  15.         }

Really that is all the sourcecode I wrote to move the player plus the camera attached to the player.

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2019, 03:34:52 am »
I agree Lazarus is not the right tool to make games, is way much easier to use Unity or tools like that to make games
Well, the "tool" i meantioned is for Lazarus. I meant specifically just CPU bound graphics have limitations which are mostly the same no matter what programming language. Actually even SDL library made games aren't that much faster until you use version that goes hardware accelerated. Unity is entirely different topic then...

lainz

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2019, 04:25:48 pm »
Indeed some of these C libraries use CPU as well. Even the web library I used was using CPU, AllegroJS.

Paul_

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2019, 05:34:37 pm »
It's clear that using JS and API layers leads to problems with performance. You will not be limited in case dll's like SDL, SFML, Allegro. It generate some CPU load but it's not marginal.

What annoys me are problems with smooth movement related to game loop (articles like https://gafferongames.com/post/fix_your_timestep/) even for simple game. Which lead into engine complexity etd.

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2019, 12:26:48 pm »
I'm pretty busy right now at job.  I'm working on my first professional game (Green Onionas - The I Ching Saga) that should be released next month, so the platformer is in a halt.  I planned to finish GO this month so I'll have a month for a platformer demo.  I think I can do it.

[edit]
BTW, my game engine has a quite stable alpha version (the third one!) released time ago.  May be you want to take a look and see if you can do something.  I can answer questions about it to help.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 12:30:58 pm by Ñuño_Martínez »
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!

lainz

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2019, 07:38:46 pm »
Well, I'm ending the contest today. No entries just my Pas2JS demo, so there is no winner and hope we can make another contest that people can get in like in the previous year. Maybe someone else interested can make the contest. Game contest or graphics contest, any of these will be good for getting more good samples made with FPC.

Please share your games if anyone was building one in the games subforum.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 07:45:00 pm by lainz »

furious programming

Re: [Finished] 2D Platformer Game Contest
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2019, 11:40:23 pm »
I missed another competition to which I could submit my project — just a retro platform game... But it is not ready — there are no finished levels yet, so there is almost nothing to play. There are only a few levels for the tutorial, but these are not yet completed. I think it will take me a few weeks to complete it (level design is not easy).

In the meantime, you can watch a short videos of the main menu animation, the game at the test level and the animation used as a background in the staff screen:

- Deep Platformer – main menu.webm

- Deep Platformer – jumping test.webm (cheat mode is enabled, so flying is possible)
- Deep Platformer – looking around.webm
- Deep Platformer – camera synchronization.webm

- Deep Platformer – staff scene background.webm

Game is written in pure Free Pascal, without using any additional library (no hardware acceleration). This project is an oversized proof-of-concept, not a specific product (therefore it will be open sourced).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:48:55 pm by furious programming »
Lazarus 3.2 with FPC 3.2.2, Windows 10 — all 64-bit

Working solo on an acrade, action/adventure game in retro style (pixelart), programming the engine and shell from scratch, using Free Pascal and SDL. Release planned in 2026.

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2019, 07:11:11 pm »
There where some personal issues that prevents me to work on it. :'(

I'm still working on Allegro.pas and MinGRo (my game engine) as well as my first professional game.  I hope I can announce something in a month or two.

lainz

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2019, 09:52:51 pm »
I understand  :)

Is hard to have time, and when you finally have time only want to rest a bit or do anything else =)

Please both Ñuño and Paul submit your games when you can, if it's made with Pascal is already good.

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2019, 05:25:49 pm »
- The game must be 2D, not 3D, not "2.5D".

Just curious, is the following considered a 2.5D or 2D game?  In my opinion I would class it as 2D as it doesn't have the perspective view like SimCity 2000 does. It's also not a side-scroller game (like Super Mario Bros). But I just wanted to make sure.

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

TinyPortal © 2005-2018