Recent

Author Topic: Installing Lazarus 1.8.4 on Ubuntu 18.04  (Read 72915 times)

dfergfla

Re: Installing Lazarus 1.8.4 on Ubuntu 18.04
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2018, 09:38:07 pm »
I appear to have gotten farther but still have an error.  any idea...anyone

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. david@david-HP:~$ sudo update-mydebs
  2. dpkg-scanpackages: info: Wrote 0 entries to output Packages file.
  3. david@david-HP:~$ sudo update-mydebs
  4. dpkg-scanpackages: warning: Packages in archive but missing from override file:
  5. dpkg-scanpackages: warning:   fpc fpc-src lazarus-project
  6. dpkg-scanpackages: info: Wrote 3 entries to output Packages file.
  7. david@david-HP:~$ sudo apt-get update
  8. Get:1 file:/usr/local/mydebs ./ InRelease
  9. Ign:1 file:/usr/local/mydebs ./ InRelease
  10. Get:2 file:/usr/local/mydebs ./ Release
  11. Err:2 file:/usr/local/mydebs ./ Release
  12.   File not found - /usr/local/mydebs/./Release (2: No such file or directory)
  13. Hit:3 http://packages.deepin.com/deepin panda InRelease      
  14. Reading package lists... Done
  15. E: The repository 'file:/usr/local/mydebs ./ Release' does not have a Release file.
  16. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
  17. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
  18. david@david-HP:~$ sudo apt-get install lazarus-project
  19. Reading package lists... Done
  20. Building dependency tree      
  21. Reading state information... Done
  22. Package lazarus-project is not available, but is referred to by another package.
  23. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
  24. is only available from another source
  26. E: Package 'lazarus-project' has no installation candidate
  27. david@david-HP:~$

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2018, 09:53:33 pm »
For Hartmut at least this worked without problems:
 https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,42393.msg295887.html#msg295887

Ok, I am giving it a try.  I have never done anything quite like this in Linux before.  I have an error, but dont know why.

1. david@david-HP:~$ sudo update-mydebs
  2. ...
I do not know what I have done wrong.
Well, you quoted my instructions but then started to do something different again.  :)
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

lucamar

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2018, 09:58:24 pm »
I appear to have gotten farther but still have an error.  any idea...anyone

1. [...]
  2. E: The repository 'file:/usr/local/mydebs ./ Release' does not have a Release file.
  3. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
  4. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Well, that tells you all there is to know: seems that, by default, Ubuntu won't let you install packages from unsigned repositories even if they are local. All you can do, if you want to keep trying this way, is try man apt-secure and learn how to make the local repo secure or by-pass the default check. <sigh> Each day this looks more and more like Windows...
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

dfergfla

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2018, 10:09:13 pm »
I found this:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=898310

This perfectly fits my problem and it seems that an update to Lazarus fixes the issue.  (see last post in thread)  I just don't know if that has been released yet, and if it has where I could get it.

lucamar

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2018, 10:48:47 pm »
I found this:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=898310

This perfectly fits my problem and it seems that an update to Lazarus fixes the issue.  (see last post in thread)  I just don't know if that has been released yet, and if it has where I could get it.

Two points:
  • I don't think that applies to your problem: it applied to the Lazarus 1.8.2 packages in Debian repositories (have you looked inside the files cited in the bug report?)
  • The fix, as the last posts show, was applied by the Debian maintainer to the Lazarus 1.8.4 packages, so it should be current.
And, of course, that may mean something if you were using the Debian packages, but you are not: you're using the Lazarus ones, which have (most) always been right.

Sorry ..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:52:03 pm by lucamar »

dfergfla

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2018, 11:15:24 pm »
I am just trying to get a working Lazarus install.   That perfectly describes the problem I have with the repo install.  And again, I keep saying this over and over and over.  I have NO problems with the deb files, none, zip, nada.  they work fine.  It is AFTER I install using debs that I have a problem, the OS package manger detects the install and overwrites it with something from the repo, breaking my install.

The post indicates that the fix is in 1.8.4+dfsg-2
The repo install is giving me 1.8.4+dfsg-1

So, what ever repo this distro is pointed to doesn't appear to have the update.

lucamar

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2018, 11:25:02 pm »
I am just trying to get a working Lazarus install.   [...] I have NO problems with the deb files, none, zip, nada.  they work fine.  It is AFTER I install using debs that I have a problem, the OS package manger detects the install and overwrites it with something from the repo, breaking my install.

The post indicates that the fix is in 1.8.4+dfsg-2
The repo install is giving me 1.8.4+dfsg-1

So, what ever repo this distro is pointed to doesn't appear to have the update.

The distro, of course, points to the Ubuntu repositories, not the Debian ones.

You know, maybe we aren't looking properly at this issue: If your distro has Lazarus 1.8.4 in its repository, why install from external DEBs? Use the distros own repository. That would probably put an end to all your problems!

edit - I forgot your problem was with the official Ubuntu packages. Never mind :-[
At this point your best bet is probably to follow Juha's advice and install from source.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 11:35:49 pm by lucamar »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2018, 12:17:19 am »
At this point your best bet is probably to follow Juha's advice and install from source.
Exactly! This is getting insane.
If you refuse to use the easy method recommended by a Lazarus developer (me) then at least tell us why.
Remember, by using SVN sources you get the latest bugfixes as an extra bonus by running "svn up" sometimes.

dfergfla

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2018, 12:22:08 am »
You assume I know how to do that.  I am just a hobbyist that used Pascal way, way back in 80s.  I wanted to play around with it again and found Lazarus about 2 years ago or so and so far it has been great.  But I don't know how to install from source or what this "svn-up" is.  So, you can suggest I install from source until it rains purple dinosaurs from heaven.  It doesn't help me.

lucamar

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2018, 12:30:42 am »
Remember, by using SVN sources you get the latest bugfixes as an extra bonus by running "svn up" sometimes.

And the hyper-extra bugs too!!!  :D

You assume I know how to do that.  [...] But I don't know how to install from source or what this "svn-up" is.  So, you can suggest I install from source until it rains purple dinosaurs from heaven.  It doesn't help me.

Juha left more or less detailed instructions in your previous topic and there's some help in the wiki too. It's not very hard.

But perhaps fpcupdeluxe is a little more palatable for you: it's a tool which aims to automating (most? all?) tasks that Juha pointed to. Search the wiki (and the forum): it's all there.*

* Sorry, but it's 00:29 here and I'm feeling too lazy to search for you.

ETA
Talk of the devil! Just appeared in the feed the topic about fpcupdeluxe
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:37:10 am by lucamar »

dfergfla

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2018, 01:02:55 am »
Thank You, it was going well...then BOOM!  I really think that for me I just have to wait till all this gets straightened out.  I am just a hobbist and I have now spent over 10 hours trying to get a working Lazarus.  I just can't spend more time on it.  Hopefully...someday...it will work for me again.  If not, oh well.  It was fun while it lasted.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2018, 01:37:28 am »
And the hyper-extra bugs too!!!  :D
No, those are in trunk. I recommended the fixes_1_8 branch for him. It is more stable than the latest release.

Juha left more or less detailed instructions in your previous topic and there's some help in the wiki too. It's not very hard.
Exactly. If a person is able to do anything in Linux, he is able to run those commands.

But perhaps fpcupdeluxe is a little more palatable for you: it's a tool which aims to automating (most? all?) tasks that Juha pointed to. Search the wiki (and the forum): it's all there.*
Uhhh, why did you bring that extra complication here again! Fpcupdeluxe is not needed for getting and compiling Lazarus sources. Fpcupdeluxe is a complex tool, good for building cross-compilers etc. advanced stuff. It should not be recommended for this simple task!
What is wrong with you people? How to stop all the wrong advice given for new users?

Thank You, it was going well...then BOOM!  I really think that for me I just have to wait till all this gets straightened out.  I am just a hobbist and I have now spent over 10 hours trying to get a working Lazarus.  I just can't spend more time on it.  Hopefully...someday...it will work for me again.  If not, oh well.  It was fun while it lasted.
You are able to do complex configuration for Debian package system and then use fpcupdeluxe, but you are not able to run these commands in console?
Code: [Select]
svn co https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/branches/fixes_1_8/ lazarus_1_8
cd lazarus_1_8
make
./lazarus &
Sorry but I don't believe you. I don't know what is going on. Goodbye.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:42:40 am by JuhaManninen »

lucamar

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2018, 02:59:05 am »
Uhhh, why did you bring that extra complication here again! Fpcupdeluxe is not needed for getting and compiling Lazarus sources. Fpcupdeluxe is a complex tool, good for building cross-compilers etc. advanced stuff. It should not be recommended for this simple task!
What is wrong with you people? How to stop all the wrong advice given for new users?

Huh? Wrong advice? I have not given "advice"; I've shown posibilities. In fact, I recommended your.way in this case.

And do you really think that fpcupdeluxe is "a complex tool" which "shouldn't be recommended for this task"? "Advanced stuff"? It was created for this task! See here:
Introducing fpcupdeluxe. A GUI tool that is based on fpcup by the late Renier.
[...]
It will ease the install of FPC and Lazarus.*
And, as with fpcup, it is fully self-contained, meaning that you can install it on your system without worries about other installs of FPC and Lazarus.
[...]
---
* Emphasis mine
And why was it created? Because settting up FPC and Lazarus from sources isn't such a "simple" task unless you're lucky and have some experience.It's not a question of "three commands and done" for most mortals. You should know.

Neither is it a task of Sisiphus, of course---though sometimes it looks like it. It simply requires a little skill, patience ... and some knowledge, which most newbies (and even not-so-newbies) don't have. I should know: That was the way I installed/updated in the ancient times of the 0.9 "releases".

Try to chill a little; Linux isn't the most forgiving environment and people will keep having problems and asking for help and misinterpreting our instructions. That's life.

dfergfla

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2018, 04:34:42 am »
Sorry, I am not better with Linux.  The instructions for doing an install from scratch are fine.  I am just not comfortable with it and I don't want to take a chance on doing something really wrong and making a mess of my system.  Don't say it can't happen, we all know it can.  If this was the 80's and I was on my Comodore 64 or Amiga I would be fine with compiling things like this.  But, those days are gone.  Just an old man here still playing with computers.  I have been using Linux for about 2 years and I do like it.  I have learned a lot.  I have destroyed my system a few times tying new things and having them go wrong.  I have developed a healthy respect for not futzing with Linux too much.  She can be evil when you don't know what your doing.  I have followed all things I can trying to do this.  I've learned some new things, but as I said.  I am just not comfortable trying anything else too 'outside the box' at this time.  It does appear that a fix is out there and hopefully it will make it into all the repos soon.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2018, 10:59:34 am »
Try to chill a little; Linux isn't the most forgiving environment and people will keep having problems and asking for help and misinterpreting our instructions. That's life.
Ok, I am sorry for my tone.
I admit fpcupdeluxe is an impressive tool and it has worked most of times I used it. Yet it is complex and its GUI is intimidating for me and more so for new users.
It tackles the most difficult cases of installation, especially cross-compilation with FPC. Installing native FPC from sources is already more difficult than installing Lazarus from sources. Installing a cross-compiler is much more difficult and fpcupdeluxe shines there.

For a person who just wants to try latest Lazarus it is problematic. The GUI gives an impression that the task is very complex. It is difficult to see what is essential.
It gives the impression that installing FPC from sources is needed to install Lazarus. No it is not. Any distro provides at least FPC 3.0.2 which is OK for building Lazarus. It is a matter of running one "svn checkout ..." command and then "make", for heaven's sake!
What more, many people use fpcupdeluxe to get a combination of FPC trunk + Lazarus trunk. It is OK if you know what you are doing but their chance for broken compilation or other hickups increases. It is not for new casual Lazarus users!
Let's say fpcupdeluxe is like a sports car, uncomfortable in city traffic but shines when getting on a fast cornered track. Kudos for its authors, yes!

@dfergfla, I also started computing in 1980's. Fundamentals of programming have changes less than one would imagine. However there is one true innovation which you must learn, namely revision control systems. Subversion and Git are the most commonly used now.
The commands I gave you must be run on a console. After 2 years of Linux you know how to do that, right? It is a matter of copy/paste, even if you don't fully understand what the commands do. The command for subversion is "svn", it can get parameters like "checkout" or "update" ("co" or "up" for short).
Please take your time to study the commands. Soon they will seem trivial.

... and I don't want to take a chance on doing something really wrong and making a mess of my system.  Don't say it can't happen, we all know it can.
I say it can't happen. :)
You are running the "svn" command as a normal user, not as root. By definition it cannot mess your whole OS. In the worst case scenario you mess the newly downloaded Lazarus sources. No big deal.
Tweaking the OS package system with "sudo" however by definition messes your whole system. You should avoid it by any means if you worry about messing up.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 11:55:01 am by JuhaManninen »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018