Recent

Author Topic: microsoft buys github  (Read 23567 times)

balazsszekely

Re: microsoft buys github
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2018, 09:07:56 pm »
VMWare is far better then VirtualBox.  :)

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2018, 09:59:57 pm »
How?
Specialize a type, not a var.

soerensen3

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2018, 10:39:47 pm »
Did you install the guest extensions for virtual box? Did you enable Hardware virtualization in both virtual box and your bios? Because only then you get full speed. Maybe you have assigned too little ram? You can enable to use your gpu for hardware opengl also.

How about qemu? Is it comparable in speed?
Lazarus 1.9 with FPC 3.0.4
Target: Manjaro Linux 64 Bit (4.9.68-1-MANJARO)

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2018, 12:06:50 am »
Ok well trying on VirtualBox on Linux, it does not seem so slow. However, the same problem happens again: lots of stuff is running and installing in the background. There's Cortana, Windows Search, OneDrive, etc. There may be some services that turn them off but they don't have the same name. And I can't even remove Cortana from the bar because it says my license key is not valid.

No really I am tired of Windows 10.

At least I can now safely run it from within a virtual machine. So that's for that.  :)

Good =)

Well, yes it always requires a new key, even if you had one for another machine.

And yes, is made for a big machine, even if it works with for example 2 gb.

I use also VirtualBox, just that in my machine VMWare works better, but I only use it for personal projects, for business I use VirtualBox.

I ran this game today to compare:https://twogentlemensoftware.gitlab.io/powersphere/

I can't play it nor in VirtualBox or VMWare, but in VirtualBox it displays a glitchy screen, when in VMWare it displays ok (but controls are not right in the VM, so I can't play it).

But as I already say, I only have an old Intel HD Graphics and an i7 4790, plus 8 gb of ram. That for sure is not good for VM's.

Edit: for those that has better machines, and also good configured his VM's, test the game and share how it works in your VM's, both in VMWare (you can use the free one) and VirtualBox. I already shared my test.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:17:06 am by lainz »

lainz

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2018, 12:26:53 am »
Some more test. This time I tested it on Windows 10 in a VM Parallels on macOS High Sierra. The VM has only 1.5 GB of ram.

I can play the game! And works fast. So, Parallels is better, or my Mac is better than my PC?

The Mac is 2011
i5 2 cores 2 ghz
4 gb of ram

The PC is 2015 (or 2014 I can't remember)
i7 4790 8 cores, 3 ghz
8 gb of ram

I've set all the settings to top recommended in all VM's. So is Parallels better, or just the Mac is better?

But this is going to far, it is about GitHub not VM's. Sorry  :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:31:14 am by lainz »

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2018, 11:00:22 am »
@lainz
I tried the game on Chromium on Linux. On Linux it was fast enough even with my Intel Graphics. Now trying on the VM... It is slow, from 1 FPS to 3 FPS.

Note : just to download Chromium it took me 15 minutes as Microsoft Edge was slow and crashing. When I finally downloaded the install, it told me the executable was unknown and that it did not want ot execute it, with just a button "Do not execute". Clicking on the more info link, it finally displayed the "Execute" button. Same thing to change the default browser. Every bit of experience with Microsoft is just irritating.

I was looking at some video rant against Google and I was thinking about our dependency to big corporations.

I guess even being on Linux, I am still dependent on Google search, Google map and Youtube. There are some alternative for search engines and maps, like Duckduckgo and Tomtom. Yet the biggest dependency that remains in all cases is YouTube.

Google is not as irritating as Microsoft though. Even if the fact that it is censoring things on copyright grounds is borderline.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:07:11 am by circular »
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

lainz

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2018, 02:14:13 pm »
Thanks for testing it.

And yes, we're talking of dependency. To github, to some VM software, to any company. In fact, we're humans and to live we need dependecy on others, since we can not (or historically choose) to don't do everything by ourselves, specialize and evolve in that way.

That is good, but also gives us the freedom to choose our dependencies, well... the thing is that we're not alone in the world! So if people choose YouTUBE to upload his videos, and you want to see them, doesn't matter if there are alternatives, because the video are there. The same with the users, most uses Windows, and you as a developer can ignore it, but is not as simple.

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2018, 02:48:09 pm »
I can play the game! And works fast. So, Parallels is better, or my Mac is better than my PC?

Parallels is a different kind of application virtualization product than VirtualBox and VMWare.

Also, we don't know what other stuff you have running on your PC vs your Mac, so it is hard to say more...
-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

lainz

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2018, 03:37:13 pm »

Parallels is a different kind of application virtualization product than VirtualBox and VMWare.

Also, we don't know what other stuff you have running on your PC vs your Mac, so it is hard to say more...

For that I asked to anyone to test it, so I'm not the one with the wrong PC, settings and running it badly alone..

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2018, 07:11:40 pm »
Thanks for testing it.
You're welcome. To give more detail, I have the software additions installed and hardware virtualization enabled. It seems it is not really using it however.

And yes, we're talking of dependency. To github, to some VM software, to any company. In fact, we're humans and to live we need dependecy on others, since we can not (or historically choose) to don't do everything by ourselves, specialize and evolve in that way.
Of course. I agree the is no such thing as independence. There is however the autonomy of choices. I guess that's where the problem is. Hiding buttons to make click another one, make it complicated to do some things, installing things without your consent, etc. I've lived quite well with Windows up to version 7.

That is good, but also gives us the freedom to choose our dependencies, well... the thing is that we're not alone in the world! So if people choose YouTUBE to upload his videos, and you want to see them, doesn't matter if there are alternatives, because the video are there.
Well for now YouTube is not that bad, you can find anything, it does not seem much filtered. It is infinitely much better than TV for that matter.

The same with the users, most uses Windows, and you as a developer can ignore it, but is not as simple.
I don't ignore that there are Windows users, that's one reason I need you Lainz now that I have chosen Linux.   :-*

In fact, switching to Linux has helped me solve issues with BGRABitmap on this OS so now it's good on both Windows and Linux.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 07:13:18 pm by circular »
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

piGrimm

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2018, 11:23:22 pm »
You misunderstood what were virtual machines invented for, guys
they weren't invented to play games but to build cloud's servers and be parts of them. In their real application domain, which is massive data processing around communication, -- and not blinking screens while blasting aliens like on nitendo or xbox -- , they do the job (assuming you give them enough RAM, cheap nowadays)

reading your gamer tests, I am damn afraid that in few years a twisted mind come here and will complain that he/she can't play "space invaders" in his/her Vbox running a windows in a Vbox running a linux in a VM running a windows installed on an iMac LOL
 :D :D :D
yes because you can install a vbox inside a vbox itself installed in a vbox... if you like tortures  >:D or play last 3D game using tomorrow technology on an emulator with 4 FPS per hour LOOOOL all is possible to twisted minds HAHAHAHAHAH
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:30:09 pm by piGrimm »

lainz

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2018, 12:38:52 am »
@circular, sure I will keep testing on Windows and Mac.

And about GitHub. We can keep using it or switch to GitLab or Bitbucket, what do you think?

lainz

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2018, 12:57:30 am »
You misunderstood what were virtual machines invented for, guys
they weren't invented to play games but to build cloud's servers and be parts of them. In their real application domain, which is massive data processing around communication, -- and not blinking screens while blasting aliens like on nitendo or xbox -- , they do the job (assuming you give them enough RAM, cheap nowadays)

reading your gamer tests, I am damn afraid that in few years a twisted mind come here and will complain that he/she can't play "space invaders" in his/her Vbox running a windows in a Vbox running a linux in a VM running a windows installed on an iMac LOL
 :D :D :D
yes because you can install a vbox inside a vbox itself installed in a vbox... if you like tortures  >:D or play last 3D game using tomorrow technology on an emulator with 4 FPS per hour LOOOOL all is possible to twisted minds HAHAHAHAHAH

Well, I think game developers must use real hardware. I'm not against that.

Someone mentioned QEmu, well BlueStacks is the faster Android emulator I've run, and is a VM. Is way faster than the normal Android emulator that comes with Android SDK. And games can be played at full screen of a big monitor with no problems.

Is targeted to play games. And why if I can play a game in an emulator, is that wrong?

Like playing an old game on a VM, that doesn't run for example on Windows 10.

If a VM is better in Graphics, why is that bad?

piGrimm

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2018, 02:00:54 am »
@lainz
I was using bluestacks for years, then I went upset because of ads, finally I installed Nox Player (I think it is from China, but multilingual) and since I installed Nox Player, trust me,  my opinion is BlueStacks is a fuckn slow crap compared

Give Nox Player a try , you'll see I am RIGHT
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:14:20 am by piGrimm »

piGrimm

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2018, 02:01:57 am »
https://www.bignox.com
no add, no firm contest, no craps, AND DAMN FAST
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:07:32 am by piGrimm »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018