Recent

Author Topic: microsoft buys github  (Read 23566 times)

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: microsoft buys github
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 07:34:03 am »
Indeed. And the Windows 10.1 Linux subsystem can even run Freepascal for Linux. It is basically a full Ubuntu user-space subsystem made by Canonical and it works great.
Microsoft developers contribute greatly to Linux development, btw.

As I understand the ratio for buying github is
1. The services business for professionals
2. The technology
3. The user base, but this is to a lesser extend.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:38:52 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

piGrimm

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 09:59:00 am »
... If they released source code of Windows, can you imagine the wave of security breaches?
c'mon guy, tell me the Wave of security breaches in opensourced OSes! Good Luck with that HAHAHAHA. to my opinion it is even THE OPPOSITE
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:01:02 am by piGrimm »

piGrimm

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 10:02:59 am »
@Mr.Madguy +1

piGrimm

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 10:12:43 am »
finally... I think Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc ... buy opensource "P"arts to resale ideas and products... MONEY CALLS MONEY... that said, I see they expect to kill opensource world that way, because they did not succeed with past different attempts.

Let see, it's going to be FUN on a near future HAHAHA

MacWomble

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 12:24:12 pm »
I'll never trust M$ in any way.  :o

My Sourcecode is my bussiness ... (Think of this!) 

M$ should do his work. e.g in Europe we must follow the EU-DSGVO - no chance when using W10.
But this don't care M$ ...

As monopolist M$ will ever win, all others are looser.  >:D
Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, FPC/ Lazarus Trunk 64Bit

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 04:06:21 pm »
Microsoft has been involving itself much more in OpenSource projects than before, and that is largely under the direction of the current CEO.

Granted, that all could change in the future, but this is no different than with any other company or situation.

Microsoft is growing increasingly heterogeneous in its operations, and this move benefits multiple parties.  (I'm not suggesting that everyone has to like it, or support it, but having an anti-Microsoft stance just for the sake of it, or just because of historical reasons, is not really objective.)

GitHub is a commercial entity, and Microsoft is a commercial entity, which seeks to have a commercial presence in this market.    Frankly, Microsoft is a whole lot better at handling acquisitions than Oracle and a few other companies that could be named.   Let's see how it plays out.
-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

piGrimm

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 06:31:31 pm »
Microsoft has been involving itself much more in OpenSource projects than before, and that is largely under the direction of the current CEO.

Granted, that all could change in the future, but this is no different than with any other company or situation.

Microsoft is growing increasingly heterogeneous in its operations, and this move benefits multiple parties.  (I'm not suggesting that everyone has to like it, or support it, but having an anti-Microsoft stance just for the sake of it, or just because of historical reasons, is not really objective.)

GitHub is a commercial entity, and Microsoft is a commercial entity, which seeks to have a commercial presence in this market.    Frankly, Microsoft is a whole lot better at handling acquisitions than Oracle and a few other companies that could be named.   Let's see how it plays out.

Ok
I steal code in 2018, then I make millions with it, and in 2031, I give it back free and ... I am a Saint! Your reflexion is interesting among History, it explains many massacres and wars HAHAHAHA
My opinion is "Crook one day, Crook forever", simple, cool => avoiding at max these crawling serpents makes me Healthy AT MAX
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:36:32 pm by piGrimm »

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 10:42:02 pm »
That's old stereotype, yet people so commonly make the mistake. They don't have anything against Linux or open source, based on any news about them in past years
https://www.howtogeek.com/265900/everything-you-can-do-with-windows-10s-new-bash-shell/
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/open-source-program-microsoft-open-source-thrives/
That may be EEE strategy.

On the one side Linux is made available on Windows. But having dual boot Windows / Linux is incredibly difficult.

In my case, my BIOS looks for the Microsoft folder in the EFI partition. It ignores the EFI configuration. So even after installing Linux and having the EFI configured, it would still boot on Windows. I had to rename the folder in the EFI partition so that the BIOS would let it go and finally use the EFI configuration it was supposed to read.

In my case, I did non want to ditch Windows completely, simply to have the choice and of course progressively use Linux.

So I added in the GRUB menu an entry for Windows, because the existing one was not working anymore. So I had to figure what to put in GRUB config files and rebuild the menu.

I thought it was it, but as I started Windows again, it started to install itself in the EFI partition without telling me anything. By the way, Windows installing stuff all the time without asking permission, that's not ok. I guess I got at last some tranquility by using I don't remember what tool to disable the update, uninstalling the update installer and removing its directory in the Windows folder, and probably other things I don't remember.

At some point, Windows would not even shut down anymore. Clicking on the shut down would turn off the screen, but in fact, it was only logged off. Moving the mouse would show the log in screen. Had to keep the power button pushed to get a hard shutdown. As a result, that has destroyed some sectors of my hard drive and in order to read Windows drive while on Linux, I had to reset the NTFS partition a number of times.

So you see the two side of things: on one side you can use Linux within Windows, but on the other side, everything will be done to prevent you from dual booting and migrate towards Linux.
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

piGrimm

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 11:09:35 pm »
that is why there are no "stereotypes" but WELL KNOWN FACTS meaning microsoft is a monopolist shark with no rule exept its own, and money rules as lead rule. In Europe, B. Gates would have been jailed for years, I guess, around 1990, hehehehehe
I had similar pb @circular, finally I configured bios to startup from external drives that I bought LOL ... actually reactOS for fun and Ubuntu for some professional projects that I share with sam707. my main hdd still boots on windows, I dont mind hahaha
Next step??? I may call an exorcist for my main hdd  :D :D :D because of... what is said earlier? oh yes "stereotype" lol!!!!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:19:36 pm by piGrimm »

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 11:25:19 pm »
@circular, you can remove Windows directly. Try using Wine or a VM. With FPCUpDeluxe you can cross compile, so no need of keeping a separate Lazarus IDE on Windows.

If you use Visual Studio, maybe as well need to try another IDE that's open source. I'm using VS Code, (that's from microsoft...) but you can use Atom that's the father of VS Code (but thinking it twice, now it's from Microsoft as well...).

soerensen3

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 12:39:37 am »
That's old stereotype, yet people so commonly make the mistake. They don't have anything against Linux or open source, based on any news about them in past years
https://www.howtogeek.com/265900/everything-you-can-do-with-windows-10s-new-bash-shell/
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/open-source-program-microsoft-open-source-thrives/
That may be EEE strategy.

On the one side Linux is made available on Windows. But having dual boot Windows / Linux is incredibly difficult.

In my case, my BIOS looks for the Microsoft folder in the EFI partition. It ignores the EFI configuration. So even after installing Linux and having the EFI configured, it would still boot on Windows. I had to rename the folder in the EFI partition so that the BIOS would let it go and finally use the EFI configuration it was supposed to read.

In my case, I did non want to ditch Windows completely, simply to have the choice and of course progressively use Linux.

So I added in the GRUB menu an entry for Windows, because the existing one was not working anymore. So I had to figure what to put in GRUB config files and rebuild the menu.

I thought it was it, but as I started Windows again, it started to install itself in the EFI partition without telling me anything. By the way, Windows installing stuff all the time without asking permission, that's not ok. I guess I got at last some tranquility by using I don't remember what tool to disable the update, uninstalling the update installer and removing its directory in the Windows folder, and probably other things I don't remember.

At some point, Windows would not even shut down anymore. Clicking on the shut down would turn off the screen, but in fact, it was only logged off. Moving the mouse would show the log in screen. Had to keep the power button pushed to get a hard shutdown. As a result, that has destroyed some sectors of my hard drive and in order to read Windows drive while on Linux, I had to reset the NTFS partition a number of times.

So you see the two side of things: on one side you can use Linux within Windows, but on the other side, everything will be done to prevent you from dual booting and migrate towards Linux.

I know what you mean, but a simpler solution is to enable "legacy" boot in the bios. I don't see any disadvantage in thiis. Then you might have to install grub into the boot sector again. I don't remember. Then everything should work as it used to.

Another thing like this is the user where in Windows 10 Microsoft is aggressively trying to force creating a cloud user on to you. When you install you have to look very carefully to find the option for a local user. When you are using a local user you can not login to windows store which is not really a problem for me but then you can't uninstall certain software and it comes loaded with PUP applications. Also I think some software you can only install through the store. Apple do similar things in MacOS X where they make it really hard for you to opt out from certain settings. On the other hand these are both good operating systems in different aspects. But still I lost my trust (If I had any :P ) in Microsoft and Apple because of things like this. So I will always prefer Linux over them despite it's rough edges here and there.
Lazarus 1.9 with FPC 3.0.4
Target: Manjaro Linux 64 Bit (4.9.68-1-MANJARO)

RAW

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 02:43:50 am »
That's the price you have to pay when using any kind of cloud services. It's very nice to use this, but anybody with money can take a look at your source code and your data. That is of course one reason why they did this...

(It's the same thing with smartphones...)

And yeah, it's a shame, but history is repeating itself over and over again. (DIVIDE AND RULE!)
I can only speak for germany, but right now I am not allowed to talk about things in the past that my step-grandfather told me once, because they will directly arrest me if I don't tell exactly the same story as written in the history books...

AND that is not a new topic as you all should know...
M$ is a part of this game!
Windows 7 Pro (x64 Sp1) & Windows XP Pro (x86 Sp3).

taazz

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 04:46:32 am »
I do not dislike microsoft, I made good leaving with its products so far. They always talk about monopolistic behavior which I never witnessed first hand, but as far as I can tell what ever microsoft acquired, which had its own success, it kept the product's marketing and policies mostly intact (eg skype). So I see this as a good thing it might get annoying after a while, as every "cloud" service becomes, but as long as I can avoid logging in to their site and keep updating my code directly from desktop with out their input or harassment I'm ok. When the time comes that I have to prove I'm not a bot to them I'll switch hosts as easily as I switched from sourceforge to github.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 02:33:35 pm »
...Their major products have closed source and therefore they can possibly do some code stealing - i.e. using open source code in their projects and selling it as their own. My philosophy: code itself doesn't matter, cuz it can we rewritten - ideas do. That's, why my code is closed now. Not because I'm greedy and selfish, but because I respect time and effort, I've invested into ideas, ...

So, commercial company has closed source, and that makes them untrustworthy, and they are likely to be hiding code theft... but you electing to move from open source to closed source is a savvy business decision?
-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

piGrimm

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 10:36:35 pm »
on the other hand M$ anounced W10 is their last version, meaning they don't plan another one but updates. That let reactOS time to improve its compatibility. that's why i'm actually 'playing' with reactOS (948MB OS, sort of fast emulating windows NT). Wine on Ubuntu is cool too.
opensource eats up commercial market and commercial market encompasses opensource... snake biting its tail

TinyPortal © 2005-2018