Recent

Author Topic: microsoft buys github  (Read 23557 times)

piGrimm

microsoft buys github
« on: June 05, 2018, 10:14:49 pm »
I know some of you use github for freepascal opensource projects. I don't. Microsoft is going to buy github (for 7.5 billions dollars), and I'm Afraid it's going to become much more targeted at microsoft OS. To me it is a bad news, that a one only big firm monopolizes the scene, cutting grass all around. Times ago, friends of mine had their free code "stolen" by microsoft and resold for big money (not a real robbery as it was free, but you know, it can hurt)
So I put this warning topic, to let you know what's going on actually. Be careful, for now, with github going to be owned by a big business shark
The problem is, I only know svn and github. Do you know other free alternative projects managers for your pascal projects, were they would be secure?
https://blog.github.com/2018-06-04-github-microsoft/

MacWomble

Re: microsoft buys github
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 10:19:40 pm »
Gitlab and Bitbucket can be used instead
Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, FPC/ Lazarus Trunk 64Bit

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 10:40:50 pm »
I know some of you use github for freepascal opensource projects. I don't. Microsoft is going to buy github (for 7.5 billions dollars), and I'm Afraid it's going to become much more targeted at microsoft OS. To me it is a bad news, that a one only big firm monopolizes the scene, cutting grass all around. Times ago, friends of mine had their free code "stolen" by microsoft and resold for big money (not a real robbery as it was free, but you know, it can hurt)
So I put this warning topic, to let you know what's going on actually. Be careful, for now, with github going to be owned by a big business shark
The problem is, I only know svn and github. Do you know other free alternative projects managers for your pascal projects, were they would be secure?
https://blog.github.com/2018-06-04-github-microsoft/
If you haven't followed M$ for a long time, you should start reading how Nadella has led M$ in a totally different way from Ballmer. Windows is not even their primary product anymore (in the sense that they're not advertising it as much as their other products, even so since there will be no new Windows version, according to some insiders, since they've moved to some kinda rolling release development model). They engage in open source a lot, in the same level as Google and Apple. Their most flexible advanced text editor and the best implementation of Atom derived one, VS Code, is open source. M$ won't kill github nor it's gonna limit it whatsoever, perhaps even integrating CI/CD with their Azure cloud system. Everything inside will only be training data for their AI systems, just like why they bought LinkedIn.

piGrimm

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 11:39:36 pm »
@leledumb
I do avoid microsoft at max everytime it is possible, and I can tell that my health is wonderful. the fact that they change their way of conduct (6 years vs 25 years of assholing) is NOT significant proof to my opinion (they could change again), SO I'm actually looking at bitbucket and gitlab as mentioned @MacWomble. these alternative sound good.
Everyone is free, of course. Mazter of nanoseconds malloc crunching my Heap in my virtualized space (hehehehe), but I felt the need to share the info about MS SHARK, that many people (as I) do not trust that much for 30 years around intellectual property's respect
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:41:43 pm by piGrimm »

Zath

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 11:49:10 pm »
I don't have a problem with M$. Their VS line available free is a superb piece of software and already has the facility to link directly with GitHub seamlessly with your projects. Let's see what happens before jumping ship.

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:51:43 pm »
In fact this topic has already been raised:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,41472.msg287946.html#msg287946

Indeed plGrimm, Microsoft has never been trustworthy, so why would it be now?

In fact, their contribution to opensource is very small. They are not releasing the source of Visual Studio, nor Office, nor any significant product. It is likely that they are doing opensource just because they have no other choice. Azure is weak against Google.
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

Zath

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 12:02:29 am »
In fact this topic has already been raised:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,41472.msg287946.html#msg287946

Indeed plGrimm, Microsoft has never been trustworthy, so why would it be now?

In fact, their contribution to opensource is very small. They are not releasing the source of Visual Studio, nor Office, nor any significant product. It is likely that they are doing opensource just because they have no other choice. Azure is weak against Google.

Excuse my ignorance but how can you compare Azure and Google ?

piGrimm

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 12:04:22 am »
@circular +10
I think M$ is a business sponge absorbing everything with the unique goal= to make money, AND THAT won't change
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:10:48 am by piGrimm »

piGrimm

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 12:06:02 am »
So Please, BEHAVE

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 12:48:36 am »
Remember that GitHub was already a business, with premium private repositories.
The competence like GitLab and Bitbucket has also premium stuff. SourceForge has a lot of ads (well, now only for not logged in people..).

Remember that in the past Google had Google Code. Microsoft has CodePlex. Both closed by GitHub popularity. So I think is not the idea to lose again.

Phil

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 01:25:51 am »
Remember that GitHub was already a business, with premium private repositories.

Some relevant business analysis of the acquisition:

https://stratechery.com/2018/the-cost-of-developers

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 02:51:00 am »
@lainz
Indeed GitHub has always been a commercial company. Going into Microsoft hands does not change much from this point of view. I am not sure it will change much from the point of view of users of the service.

What is puzzling though, is that Microsoft has always considered opensource as bad and Linux as its enemy. So it is surprising to see this company buy GitHub, buy a seat at the Linux Foundation, etc. while not willing to release source code of any of their existing products. So Microsoft is not becoming an open source company.

I don't think it is the opposite either. Some might be afraid that they are trying to kill Linux and opensource software using their strategy Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. However I think it is far fetched as those are not commercial companies and so they are not as fragile. So even if it could be somehow their plan it will fail.
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

Phil

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 02:58:47 am »
while not willing to release source code of any of their existing products. So Microsoft is not becoming an open source company.

Quite a few of their development tools are open source. But like Google and Apple and almost all companies, they don't release source for what they consider strategically important software.

https://opensource.microsoft.com

Mr.Madguy

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 05:19:55 am »
I don't know. Since moment, when M$ went the same way, as Apple and Google - I stopped trusting them. They have no honesty any more. Their major products have closed source and therefore they can possibly do some code stealing - i.e. using open source code in their projects and selling it as their own. My philosophy: code itself doesn't matter, cuz it can we rewritten - ideas do. That's, why my code is closed now. Not because I'm greedy and selfish, but because I respect time and effort, I've invested into ideas, it's based on. I.e. I don't use GitHub for my own projects, so I don't care.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 05:28:26 am by Mr.Madguy »
Is it healthy for project not to have regular stable releases?
Just for fun: Code::Blocks, GCC 13 and DOS - is it possible?

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 05:36:22 am »
What is puzzling though, is that Microsoft has always considered opensource as bad and Linux as its enemy. So it is surprising to see this company buy GitHub, buy a seat at the Linux Foundation, etc. while not willing to release source code of any of their existing products. So Microsoft is not becoming an open source company.
That's old stereotype, yet people so commonly make the mistake. They don't have anything against Linux or open source, based on any news about them in past years
https://www.howtogeek.com/265900/everything-you-can-do-with-windows-10s-new-bash-shell/
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/open-source-program-microsoft-open-source-thrives/

But it's easy to dismiss everything by just saying it's a company with purpose of making money. Same can be said about any other company in the world. Evul muricans... If they released source code of Windows, can you imagine the wave of security breaches?

TinyPortal © 2005-2018