Recent

Author Topic: iOS UIKit framework coming to macOS in 2019  (Read 9951 times)

Phil

Re: iOS UIKit framework coming to macOS in 2019
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:49:30 am »
And even more information here, although still kind of non-technical and sketchy:

https://www.wired.com/story/wwdc-2018-federighi-ios-apps-on-macos/

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:52:32 am »
It's like Google with his Android apps on his chromebooks?

I know is not just plug and play, and requires a porting, but looks a bit like that. Seems that good ideas are used even in different companies.

Phil

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 12:59:01 am »
It's like Google with his Android apps on his chromebooks?

I don't know. I supposed installing the beta of Mojave would be one way of finding out what's there. As I understand it, there's a new system folder with iOS support frameworks like UIKit. Actually, UIKit has always been available on Mac for developers since it's used to test iOS apps in the Xcode Simulator (for example, if you don't have a particular iOS device to test). But the UIKit included with the Xcode SDK is just the _iOS_ UIKit compiled for x64. I would imagine we're talking here an enhanced UIKit for both iOS and macOS that can accommodate the UI and platform differences between them.

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 01:26:48 am »
Interesting. I use an iBook and iPhone extensively. I find the iBook useful for certain things, but I hate it for running applications that I need to get work done with. Curious to see what they come up with.
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

Phil

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 01:34:17 am »
Interesting. I use an iBook and iPhone extensively. I find the iBook useful for certain things, but I hate it for running applications that I need to get work done with. Curious to see what they come up with.

If you install the Mojave beta on your macOS system, you can test 4 of Apple's apps that have been ported from iOS and will be part of the next Mojave release.

I assume you mean "iPad"?

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 01:43:16 am »
If you install the Mojave beta on your macOS system, you can test 4 of Apple's apps that have been ported from iOS and will be part of the next Mojave release.

I assume you mean "iPad"?

It does sound interesting, but I'm unlikely to try. I still have El Capitan installed, I'm conservative in upgrading. It always seems that upgrades end up as time sinks. 

Yes, iPad! Tired I guess, or just getting old. :)
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

Phil

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 01:54:16 am »
It does sound interesting, but I'm unlikely to try. I still have El Capitan installed, I'm conservative in upgrading. It always seems that upgrades end up as time sinks. 

Yes, I have El Capitan on my Late 2008 MacBook and it's fine, but it's important to at least test apps on the current release. Obviously if you're doing Xcode, that's generally only supported on the current release of macOS and the previous release, so currently that would be High Sierra and Sierra. In the autumn when Mojave is released, that will shift to the latest Xcode only being available for Mojave and High Sierra.

In general, I've never had much problem upgrading or with compatibility, but things do change, often things that Apple does to try to make things more secure. For example, the introduction of System Integrity Protection (SIP) in El Capitan might have tripped someone up if they had never tested on El Cap.

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Security/Conceptual/System_Integrity_Protection_Guide/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40016462-CH1-DontLinkElementID_15

TinyPortal © 2005-2018