Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus and MDB  (Read 10506 times)

Adriano_sousa

Re: Lazarus and MDB
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 01:27:15 pm »
So you think I can quit, and try to migrate to Sqllite?
what a pity...

valdir.marcos

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 04:39:55 pm »
what a pity...
1. If possible, you should run away from Microsoft Access or similar.
2. If possible, you should learn and use real RDBMS such as Firebird, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc, or even SQLite considering that it is not a client–server database engine. It is only embedded into the end program.

taazz

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 04:50:47 pm »
what a pity...
why? Access is a windows only solution a solution above everything else in its market but windows only. SQLite compared to access is a bit of a joke, sqlite is nothing more than a data container it has no real support for data types or concurrency it is even bellow the BDE which died a decade ago. If you need a better solution you can try a pascal sql server http://www.thinksql.co.uk/ with a footprint as small as 1MB and a preliminary port to fpc can be found at https://github.com/evosi/thinksql . it requires indy 10.6.X to be installed (use OPM) and I'm working on a richer test suite to help me add an embedded layer. Hopefully I'll have something to share by the end of this year.

Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 04:56:02 pm »
why? Access is a windows only solution
Uhhhh.... not true. Access also runs on - maybe just older - Macs and partially on Android.. And the ODBC clients should work on Linux to access a Access database on a supported platform.

Anyway he had sound advice in his native language: use a proper database.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:58:09 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

af0815

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 05:33:46 pm »
In my link some posts ago, there is a solution from easysoft.

The basics are, test the odbc with a native testprogramm, if it works you can do it in lazarus. And if i want to write a multiplattformapp, i have to check the basics first.

Btw. With access there were also a lot of trouble with win64 native apps, if the driver are not correct too.

regards
Andreas

Adriano_sousa

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 12:57:15 am »
What puzzles me is:
Using the MDBTolls tool I can access this database quietly. I can see all the tables and data that exist.
I already use Firebird in other applications ... until then with no problems ....
But this MDB is old in a client, so you have to deal with a lot ...

TinyPortal © 2005-2018