Recent

Author Topic: Anyone having issues with latest Windows upgrade?  (Read 9297 times)

aducom

• http://www.aducom.com
Anyone having issues with latest Windows upgrade?
« on: May 04, 2018, 10:12:23 pm »
My Windows 10 was updated today. Now one of my applications is not working any more. It terminates in the start-up or gives an error, but I cannot figure out why. Not even sure if it's caused by the update, but my backup's give the same result. Anyone has similar issues?

If I dump the stack I get:
#0 fpc_popaddrstack at :0
#1 TPHSPEEDLIBCOMPONENTS__COMPILECOMPONENT(<error reading variable>) at phcomponents.pas:647
#2 TPHSPEEDLIBCOMPONENTS__COMPILECOMPONENTS(<error reading variable>) at phcomponents.pas:663
#3 TPHSPEEDLIBCOMPONENTS__COMPILELIBCOMPONENT(0xc89c604 'phspcomp\database.phscomp', <error reading variable>) at phcomponents.pas:767
#4 TPHSPEEDLIBCOMPONENTS__COMPILELIBCOMPONENTS(<error reading variable>) at phcomponents.pas:796
#5 TPHSPEEDLIBCOMPONENTS__CREATE(0x0, 0x1, <error reading variable>) at phcomponents.pas:356
#6 TPHSPMAIN__FORMSHOW(0xc798a78, <error reading variable>) at phspeedmain.pas:5922
#7 TCUSTOMFORM__DOSHOW(<error reading variable>) at .\include\customform.inc:1019
#8 TCUSTOMFORM__CMSHOWINGCHANGED({MSG = 45081, WPARAM = 0, LPARAM = 0, RESULT = 0, WPARAMLO = 0, WPARAMHI = 0, WPARAMFILLER = {}, LPARAMLO = 0, LPARAMHI = 0, LPARAMFILLER = {}, RESULTLO = 0, RESULTHI = 0, RESULTFILLER = {}}, <error reading variable>) at .\include\customform.inc:649
#9 SYSTEM$_$TOBJECT_$__$$_DISPATCH$formal at :0
#10 VMT_$FORMS_$$_TCUSTOMFORM at :0
#11 ?? at :0
#12 TWINCONTROL__WNDPROC({MSG = 45081, WPARAM = 0, LPARAM = 0, RESULT = 0, WPARAMLO = 0, WPARAMHI = 0, WPARAMFILLER = {}, LPARAMLO = 0, LPARAMHI = 0, LPARAMFILLER = {}, RESULTLO = 0, RESULTHI = 0, RESULTFILLER = {}}, <error reading variable>) at .\include\wincontrol.inc:5396
#13 TCUSTOMFORM__WNDPROC({MSG = 45081, WPARAM = 0, LPARAM = 0, RESULT = 0, WPARAMLO = 0, WPARAMHI = 0, WPARAMFILLER = {}, LPARAMLO = 0, LPARAMHI = 0, LPARAMFILLER = {}, RESULTLO = 0, RESULTHI = 0, RESULTFILLER = {}}, <error reading variable>) at .\include\customform.inc:1467
#14 TCONTROL__PERFORM(45081, 0, 0, <error reading variable>) at .\include\control.inc:1571
#15 CHANGESHOWING(true, 0x6f6fdf4) at .\include\wincontrol.inc:4357
#16 TWINCONTROL__UPDATESHOWING(<error reading variable>) at .\include\wincontrol.inc:4407
#17 TCUSTOMFORM__UPDATESHOWING(<error reading variable>) at .\include\customform.inc:2762
#18 TWINCONTROL__DOALLAUTOSIZE(<error reading variable>) at .\include\wincontrol.inc:3566
#19 TCONTROL__ENABLEAUTOSIZING(<error reading variable>) at .\include\control.inc:5680
#20 TCONTROL__SETVISIBLE(true, <error reading variable>) at .\include\control.inc:4504
#21 TCUSTOMFORM__SETVISIBLE(true, <error reading variable>) at .\include\customform.inc:492
#22 TCUSTOMFORM__SHOW(<error reading variable>) at .\include\customform.inc:2307
#23 TAPPLICATION__RUN(<error reading variable>) at .\include\application.inc:1400
#24 main at phspeedide.lpr:48

So things start to go wrong immediately?

Albert
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:21:21 pm by aducom »

aducom

Re: Anyone having issues with latest Windows upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 10:29:38 pm »
I'm really puzzled. I have fixed the issue by:

{$IFDEF FPC}
   {$IFDEF MSWINDOWS}
    //For now - disable all floating point exceptions or XULRUNNER will crash.
    // disabled and it seems to work now in this version
    SetExceptionMask([exInvalidOp,exDenormalized,exZeroDivide,exOverflow,exUnderflow,exPrecision]);
   {$ENDIF}
  {$ENDIF}

Now I have used GeckoPort in the project a long time ago, but am using Chromium currently. There is no reference to Gecko anywhere.

jamie

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:41:22 pm »
You need to make a do nothing program that works the Float types to see if  you can get an error...

If you don't receive an error then its my guess you could have some uninitialized variables for some
float operation and it just happens to have invalid memory now..
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

Mr.Madguy

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 07:17:14 am »
This has happened with me too. On my own computer program, that used DX11, worked well, but on my work computer is was crashing during D3D11CreateDevice for no reason. Solution was pretty simple: it seems like C++ runtime disables FP exceptions by default, so guys, who develop apps/drivers using C++, don't even care about FP exceptions and this exceptions are normal behaviour for C++ apps. Actually DX docs explicitly say, that FP exceptions should be disabled. Delphi seems to do it too, that's why I've never encountered this problem before. And Lazarus doesn't disable FP exceptions by default, so your application crashes, when encounters them. Why this problem appeared now only? Dunno. May be your video driver updated or something like that.
Is it healthy for project not to have regular stable releases?
Just for fun: Code::Blocks, GCC 13 and DOS - is it possible?

aducom

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 07:47:14 am »
Thank you, it makes sense to me. I don't use FP in the application myself, but I can imagine that the stuff I'm using does. Why it occurs now, I don't know, but perhaps some required file has changed due to the update process. But I'm glad I was able to fix it, if I hadn't had the piece of code commented out I would never have come to this idea. I hope this thread will help others that encounter similar issues.

Mr.Madguy

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 01:08:54 pm »
Thank you, it makes sense to me. I don't use FP in the application myself, but I can imagine that the stuff I'm using does. Why it occurs now, I don't know, but perhaps some required file has changed due to the update process. But I'm glad I was able to fix it, if I hadn't had the piece of code commented out I would never have come to this idea. I hope this thread will help others that encounter similar issues.
Well, SetExceptionMask controls exceptions for both FP and SSE at the same time, so it may be some SSE exception.

jamie

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 06:26:35 pm »
all this tells me is "BADLY WRITTEN CODE" with no regards of property FP math just to save a couple of
CPU cycles.

I do remember at one time graphic drivers had issues when doing hardware processing with the FP triggers
enabled..

But I would of thought that to be fixed long ago..
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:35:53 pm by jamie »
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

Mr.Madguy

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 08:04:16 pm »
all this tells me is "BADLY WRITTEN CODE" with no regards of property FP math just to save a couple of
CPU cycles.

I do remember at one time graphic drivers had issues when doing hardware processing with the FP triggers
enabled..

But I would of thought that to be fixed long ago..
I had such problems with NVidia drivers and tried to report them to official forums - guys there looked at me, like I was crazy.

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 07:20:02 pm »
My Windows 10 was updated today. Now one of my applications is not working any more. It terminates in the start-up or gives an error, but I cannot figure out why. Not even sure if it's caused by the update, but my backup's give the same result. Anyone has similar issues?

I have upgraded to Version 1803 of Windows 10 x64, and I do not have any issue with Lazarus that I can determine.   Running x32 Lazarus v1.8.2 with FPC 3.0.4
-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

Pascal

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 07:43:59 pm »
I have upgraded to Version 1803 of Windows 10 x64, and I do not have any issue with Lazarus that I can determine.   Running x32 Lazarus v1.8.2 with FPC 3.0.4

Do you notice any slowdown when opening tools/options in Lazarus?
laz trunk x64 - fpc trunk i386 (cross x64) - Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H2)

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 09:44:18 pm »

Do you notice any slowdown when opening tools/options in Lazarus?

Nope, none at all.

I tested for a few of my applications just to be sure.

-ASB
-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 09:56:34 pm »
Everything working fine here, for now I not detected any issues.

The Windows Defender issue (slowness) is not new from this update, is an old issue, and to fix that you need to add to ignore list lazarus folders.

wp

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 10:08:09 pm »
Hi wp, In that demo there is a missing file "curredit". I don't know from where to grab it.

wp

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 10:24:02 pm »
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,40273.msg284977.html#msg284977: Hey, kpp, why are you writing there "Here is the RX-free version", but then RX is still required?

Anyway, Lainz, please try my version, slowstart.zip, from reply #78 of the same thread.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018