Recent

Author Topic: starting version of build fpc  (Read 6917 times)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: starting version of build fpc
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 11:44:31 am »
I did do a make install.... I want to know in what folder does the executable gets placed.
I was expecting  a fpc.exe, I found a ppc1.exe, ppc2.exe, ppc3.exe and ppc386.exe file.

Then you are looking in the build dir, and not in the dir you INSTALLed too.

Installing is like exporting the files you need for a release from the build dirs. Install to a different directory then when you built.

using the ppc386 file I tried to compile a simple hello world program.
but I get a fatal error saying that it cannot find the systems unit needed by my hello world program.

That is configuration, not building. But first

any help?

You might want to read the buildfaq on the documentation page of the website.

p.s. and use 3.0.4 if you possibly can. 3.0.2 and using override will only increase the number of things that can go wrong, and solve nothing.

ccrause

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 10:37:39 am »
I did do a make install.... I want to know in what folder does the executable gets placed.

Some useful information can be obtained by calling:
Code: Text  [Select][+][-]
  1. make info <optional extra parameters>
where <optional extra parameters> should be the same as when you build/install fpc using make but excluding the make target (clean, all, install etc.).  This should show install information such as binary folder, units folder etc.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 12:33:17 pm »
using the ppc386 file I tried to compile a simple hello world program.
but I get a fatal error saying that it cannot find the systems unit needed by my hello world program.

I'm no expert but IIRC fpc.exe is a wrapper that, among other things, read its configuration file, builds the proper command line and calls the corresponding ppc*.exe. If you call ppc386 yourself you'll have to pass to it all the various options that fpc reads from it config file, among them the libraries search path, units search path, etc.; otherwise you get errors like that.

In short: use fpc.exe unless you're very, very sure of what you're doing. :)
Not entirely correct. The fpc.exe only handles the -P and -V (version suffix) options (and -Xp to add a specfic search path for the ppcX). Everything else is passed as is to the determined ppcX which also handles the configuration file.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018