Forum > Operating Systems

Cross platform - is Lazarus/FPC mature enough to compete?

<< < (2/4) > >>

marcov:

--- Quote ---Maybe it is possible to create an mobile app für iOS and Android with Lazarus/FPC, but why should the developer want to rewrite the whole client logic from JavaScript in any other language (not only Free Pascal), when he can re-use the same code he has in production already?

--- End quote ---

where did you read anything about client logic in javascript? Am I really confused.

--- Quote ---But if there is a easy way with Free Pascal / Lazarus, I would be very interested! :-)

--- End quote ---

From the little I know is that FPC does not offer much of shared GUI between iOS and Android. If you don't leverage  large pascal codebases it might not be the best.   Even if you do, you might work with a Pascal or Pascal-JVM library, and do the GUI on top with other tools.

There are umpteen "easy" tools, but the people making the bigger webapps seem to mostly use the vendor tools (Xcode/Android Studio). The "easy" crossplatform tools are mostly just for one-time users that have to crank out a phone app. At least that is what it seems to me.

dubst3pp4:
@marcov nimral wrote:

--- Quote from: Nimral on December 11, 2017, 08:41:38 am ---Front-end is Browser/Javascript/Bootstrap, backend is PHP on IIS or Apache, protocol is JSON. Of course, a working Internet connection is required.

--- End quote ---
... if JavaScript is not only used to let buttons disappear, there must be a client logic ;-) In a typical JavaScript application, you also follow a traditional MVP/MVP or MVVM approach - you have a controller, the data and a view.

turrican:
You can program the backend, database model and web server using Object Pascal quickly at very efficient manner (Using mORMot for example). GUI is another history...

You can make 6 different GUI apps. And every app will have pros and cons.

For example :
- Native app (Android SDK) with Android Studio. (Only JSON API client and controls)
- Native app (Android NDK + Android SDK) with Android Studio and C++. (Only JSON API client and controls)
- Javascript (React, Angular, JQuery, Cordova...) Application (HTML forms and Ajax Javascript )
- Firemonkey app using Delphi. Not bad at all
- Xamarin app using C# and VS
- Lazarus and FPC Pascal using LCL and custom drawn widgets (Android NDK + Android SDK)

I seen Lazarus LCL on Android and custom OpenGL app made in FPC and the results are very good, you need to research a bit.

DonAlfredo:

--- Quote ---You can program the backend, database model and web server using Object Pascal quickly at very efficient manner (Using mORMot for example). GUI is another history...
--- End quote ---

The above quote is the way my database progs are written.
mORMot+FPC+Lazarus:
First, a server is made. With an embedded sqlite3 engine. Testing: Windows; running: Linux.
Followed by a windows/linux client app. With local and remote (the server) database (single change: 2 lines of code).
The above allows for very easy testing and GUI.
Followed by an Android app with LAMW with local database for easy testing. Followed by the remote database connection.
Database logic is shared between all clients and the server(s).
As an extra, Javascript clients (JSON, remote server) allow for many more clients.

Honest sidenote: (only) after a (steep) learning curve, the productivity will become very high.

turrican:

--- Quote from: DonAlfredo on December 15, 2017, 12:23:23 pm ---
--- Quote ---You can program the backend, database model and web server using Object Pascal quickly at very efficient manner (Using mORMot for example). GUI is another history...
--- End quote ---
The above quote is the way my database progs are written.

--- End quote ---

Yeah!  8-) Mine too! At professional level. There are robust, fast and well written backends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version