Recent

Author Topic: MsPaint coming to end of the road  (Read 14137 times)

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: MsPaint coming to end of the road
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 09:35:37 am »
Usually people stick with a certain program not because the features it offers but because he/she already feel convenient with it. MsPaint simplicity make it very easy to use.

I personally always use GIMP for whatever graphics work from complex graphics editing to simple image resizing. I know using GIMP just for cropping or resizing is overkill, but it has "Save for Web", which is very useful to optimize image size especially when the image needed to publish to the web. I admit that the startup time of GIMP is not fast, it may take more than 1 minute on Windows. Luckily I am a Linux user, GIMP just needs seconds to load.

RAW

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 09:53:13 am »
GIMP needs approx. 4 seconds if I use -D -S...

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2.8\bin\gimp-2.8.exe" -d -s

Without this it's  §#*³%&^ grrrrrr.... or something like that...  :D
Windows 7 Pro (x64 Sp1) & Windows XP Pro (x86 Sp3).

JD

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 10:24:03 am »
as good as dead. I do not do stores personally, if something requires me to create an account give out an email address etc I just drop it right there I'm not interesting in tracking any more accounts I have approximately 350 active accounts on around 25 different spam email accounts, that is more than enough for me.

My sentiments exactly.  ;D
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

jc99

• My private Site
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 03:27:00 pm »
how about http://wiki.freepascal.org/LazPaint?
I think it can be converted to portable easily.
Latest sources on sourceforge are 6.4.1 from 2016
I failed to compile them with trunk & 1.8rc3 are there some actual sources out there ?
(without those deprecated UTF8 - functions ?)
[edit]
github-trunk seems ok.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 04:08:15 pm by jc99 »
OS: Win XP x64, Win 7, Win 7 x64, Win 10, Win 10 x64, Suse Linux 13.2
Laz: 1.4 - 1.8.4, 2.0
https://github.com/joecare99/public
'~|    /''
,_|oe \_,are
If you want to do something for the environment: Twitter: #reduceCO2 or
https://www.betterplace.me/klimawandel-stoppen-co-ueber-preis-reduzieren

taazz

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 04:59:40 pm »
how about http://wiki.freepascal.org/LazPaint?
I think it can be converted to portable easily.
Latest sources on sourceforge are 6.4.1 from 2016
I failed to compile them with trunk & 1.8rc3 are there some actual sources out there ?
(without those deprecated UTF8 - functions ?)
[edit]
github-trunk seems ok.
Seems like circular is moving everything to github. I don't blame him it is far easier to manage than sf.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Akira1364

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 02:57:10 am »
Uh, this is non-news. https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/07/24/ms-paint-stay
It's going to be available in the Windows Store as a free download (presumably indefinitely). No need to look for a replacement...

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 04:29:54 am »
GIMP needs approx. 4 seconds if I use -D -S...

1. "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2.8\bin\gimp-2.8.exe" -d -s

Without this it's  §#*³%&^ grrrrrr.... or something like that...  :D

I wonder why GIMP needs so long to start on Windows. On my Linux Core2 Quad CPU, it only takes 7-8 seconds. GIMP long startup time (1 - 3 minutes) really is a turn off for Windows users to use GIMP. How about Photoshop, people always compare GIMP with Photoshop. How long does it need to start? I haven't use Photoshop for a very long time.

J-G

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 01:25:09 pm »
I wonder why GIMP needs so long to start on Windows. On my Linux Core2 Quad CPU, it only takes 7-8 seconds. GIMP long startup time (1 - 3 minutes) really is a turn off for Windows users to use GIMP. How about Photoshop, people always compare GIMP with Photoshop. How long does it need to start? I haven't use Photoshop for a very long time.
That depends  -  when was that not the case? !!  -  on occasion I fume at the 2+ minutes (or more) Photoshop takes to do it's initialization and housekeeping but I've just timed it re-starting after closing it down and it was less than 4 seconds. Presumably that was because it left certain parameters in memory on close down and found them 'OK' when restarting.
FPC 3.0.0 - Lazarus 1.6 &
FPC 3.2.2  - Lazarus 2.2.0 
Win 7 Ult 64

RAW

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 05:53:37 pm »
On my system...

GIMP needs for the first start approx. 4 seconds and once started 3 - 4 seconds.
PHOTOSHOP 15.2.2.: first start: 5 - 6 seconds and once started 3 seconds.

LAZARUS not even 1 second...
DELPHI 7 a little bit more than LAZARUS...  :)

not that bad...
The problem with GIMP is from time to time takes it really long without (-D -S)...

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 07:38:33 pm »
Of course. It's a matter of habit. I'm used to search for paint first than opening real graphic design tools. Like notepad++ to open quickly any text file, even if I can not do too much with it.
I'm using mspaint exclusively for fast little crops and resizes but only because its easier to start it up ee win+r mspaint and you are in. No need to look around for an icon to click or a mouse. I fully agree that habbit is the stronger reason of still using mspaint that and the fact that I dislike GTK+ application.

Sorry that I post in this old thread. Just I remembered that's possible to add a shortcut like "win+r mspaint" to any software, and don't adding them to the PATH. Is just a registry entry:

1. ; App Paths (ShellExecuteEx)
  2. Root: HKLM; Subkey: "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\{#MyAppExeName}"; ValueType: String; ValueData: """{app}\{#MyAppExeName}"""; Flags: uninsdeletekey
  3. Root: HKLM; Subkey: "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\{#MyAppExeName}"; ValueType: String; ValueName: Path; ValueData: """{app}"""; Flags: uninsdeletekey

Is that easy with Inno Setup, so you can (for example) do "win+r lazpaint".

RAW

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 10:16:55 pm »
Thanks for sharing...  :)

soerensen3

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 11:52:53 pm »
I'm really surprised Krita wasn't mentioned already. It's open source, cross platform and actively developed. It's interface is not as simple as Paint's interface but it's also very intuitive, I think. It is mainly used for sketching, drawing and painting and has a lot of natural brushes, but it can also do simple stuff like cropping or resizing.
If you start Krita cropping can be done by opening your file through dragging or through the dialog. Then you press C or click the crop tool in the toolbar and select the area. Then press enter or make a double click to confirm.

It has also support for transparency, layers, filters, a lot of file formats (including raw) and is a real alternative to photoshop (with maybe some of the newer features missing).
I don't know if I can convince a ms paint enthusiast with that but why bother about the support for paint anyway. Is it really updated that much. For all i know it's just an exe in the system folder which can be backed up to any location, even a usb, but I might be wrong about that.
Lazarus 1.9 with FPC 3.0.4
Target: Manjaro Linux 64 Bit (4.9.68-1-MANJARO)

taazz

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 02:14:33 am »
I'm really surprised Krita wasn't mentioned already.
1). Thank you for that I did not know krita I'll have to evaluate it.
2). it is not about features, it is about speed and simplicity. for example mspaint is the perfect tool to drop a screenshot and add a couple of lines, arrows with some text for clarification. I wouldn't fire up photoshop, gimp, or any other heavy image processing application to do that, the time they take to load I will have finished in mspaint. Mspaint has a lot of shortcoming, a very limited colour palette for example, but it was perfect for some one just starting to explore the digital paint world to understand what a pixel is, what a colour is etc, and that is what is going to be missed.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

TinyPortal © 2005-2018