Recent

Author Topic: MsPaint coming to end of the road  (Read 14134 times)

User137

• Nxpascal home
MsPaint coming to end of the road
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:50:42 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/24/microsoft-paint-kill-off-after-32-years-graphics-editing-program?CMP=twt_gu

Looks like we're going to need a replacement software for simple cropping, pixel perfect editing and format changing, because Microsoft doesn't seem to have a clue on what users want. I know for a fact Gimp is not suitable for those simple tasks (i mean it can but not as simply as with Paint), it however has other features that make it irreplaceable. I haven't tried things like Paint.net or stuff i've heard before, are they up to the task? Quick and efficient?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:59:49 am by User137 »

taazz

Re: MsPaint coming to end of the road
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:05:55 am »
how about http://wiki.freepascal.org/LazPaint?
I think it can be converted to portable easily.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:28:54 am »
Seems like they changed their mind https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/07/24/ms-paint-stay/#yb1guwQUEu3iKIl3.97

Anyway, i think something like alpha-channel support for PNG's would be welcome addition. Also the latest changes in Paint for Win7 and 10 went backwards, that the mouse sticks to line drawing... and in general the mouse isn't always accurately aligned with pixels  ::)

LazPaint seems like aiming to compete with Gimp, instead of being a simple editor.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:38:27 am by User137 »

taazz

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 09:53:42 am »
Seems like they changed their mind https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/07/24/ms-paint-stay/#yb1guwQUEu3iKIl3.97
as good as dead. I do not do stores personally, if something requires me to create an account give out an email address etc I just drop it right there I'm not interesting in tracking any more accounts I have approximately 350 active accounts on around 25 different spam email accounts, that is more than enough for me.
Anyway, i think something like alpha-channel support for PNG's would be welcome addition. Also the latest changes in Paint for Win7 and 10 went backwards, that the mouse sticks to line drawing... and in general the mouse isn't always accurately aligned with pixels  ::)

LazPaint seems like aiming to compete with Gimp, instead of being a simple editor.
I do not know what lazpaint aims for, it sure is not gimp though.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 11:37:16 am »
Indeed LazPaint is far from Gimp. Competing with Gimp has not been the aim as it was a more modest development. However I do not know the future, it depends if we can get together to improve it. Also people do not always have much spare time.
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 11:49:30 am »
Indeed LazPaint is far from Gimp. Competing with Gimp has not been the aim as it was a more modest development. However I do not know the future, it depends if we can get together to improve it. Also people do not always have much spare time.

But lazpaint is still superior to paint! It just need a proper plugin interface, which paint didn't have anyway.
Specialize a type, not a var.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 11:51:44 am »
LazPaint is as simple as MS Paint, just more advanced. It's like in between MS Paint and GIMP. I actually endup using KolourPaint more often :-[ (sorry circular) but I keep my LazPaint up to date and check its updates from time to time.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:00:18 pm »
LazPaint is as simple as MS Paint, just more advanced. It's like in between MS Paint and GIMP. I actually endup using KolourPaint more often :-[ (sorry circular) but I keep my LazPaint up to date and check its updates from time to time.
Yup. That's what I said. But it can easily be expanded to paint.net or something... We can do that.
Specialize a type, not a var.

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:58:26 pm »
A plugin system indeed could help.
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

taazz

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 09:59:54 pm »
A plugin system indeed could help.
and a pair of scrollbars couldn't hurt either :P

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 08:29:35 pm »
Take a screenshot and crop it with paint, is faster than any other software.

And I read that they will put it in the Store, so it will be another outdated download.

taazz

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 01:08:30 am »
Take a screenshot and crop it with paint, is faster than any other software.
Actually this can be even faster with lazpaint screengrab open lazpaint press ctrl+alt+v, select the region to crop (select\select rectangle) and press image\crop to selection. Its even faster because the selection has a life as an object on the image it does not resize the selection after you release the mouse.
And I read that they will put it in the Store, so it will be another outdated download.
Yeah not going to bother creating an account let alone download it.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 02:28:37 am »
Of course. It's a matter of habit. I'm used to search for paint first than opening real graphic design tools. Like notepad++ to open quickly any text file, even if I can not do too much with it.

taazz

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 02:36:08 am »
Of course. It's a matter of habit. I'm used to search for paint first than opening real graphic design tools. Like notepad++ to open quickly any text file, even if I can not do too much with it.
I'm using mspaint exclusively for fast little crops and resizes but only because its easier to start it up ee win+r mspaint and you are in. No need to look around for an icon to click or a mouse. I fully agree that habbit is the stronger reason of still using mspaint that and the fact that I dislike GTK+ application.

RAW

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 08:42:52 am »
Do we really need MSPaint ???  :)
I found in approx. 5 minutes a lot of alternatives... sometimes it's hard to get the OS requirements though, don't know if this is all correct.

Unfortunately I cannot test these versions in 5 minutes...  :'(
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. SOME PHOTO EDITING FREEWARE:
  3. GIMP                  [WIN, MAC, LINUX, BSD] PS-Filter: Possible
  4. REAL WORLD PAINT      [WIN] PS-Filter: Possible
  5. PAINT DOT NET         [WIN] +PlugIns
  6. PINTA                 [WIN, MAC, LINUX, BSD]
  7. LAZ PAINT             [WIN, LINUX]
  8. PHOTOSCAPE            [WIN, MAC]       
  9. SHEASHORE             [MAC]
  10. POS FREE PHOTO EDITOR [WIN]
  11. HORNIL STYLE PIX      [WIN]
  12. CINEPAINT             [WIN, MAC, LINUX, BSD]
  13. FOTOGRAFIX            [WIN]
  14. PAINTSTAR             [WIN]
  15. FOTOWALL              [WIN, MAC, LINUX]  
  16. IMAGE ANALYZER        [WIN] +PlugIns
  17. FOTOR                 [WIN]
  18. PIXLR (Desktop)       [WIN]
  19. PIXIA                 [WIN]
  20. XARA XTREME           [WIN, LINUX, BSD]
  21. CHOCO FLOP            [MAC]
  22. PHOTODEMON            [WIN, MAC]
Windows 7 Pro (x64 Sp1) & Windows XP Pro (x86 Sp3).

TinyPortal © 2005-2018