Recent

Author Topic: Reference Guide hard copy  (Read 5952 times)

segfault

Reference Guide hard copy
« on: June 30, 2017, 05:31:45 pm »
How about providing a hardcopy of the reference guide and selling it on Amazon? It would be a way for users to support the project and would increase awareness/exposure of FP.  Plus, you actually get something useful and I personally prefer a real book I can pick up, insteading of having to read a screen which gets tiring after a while.  A proper book is also arguably better for technical manuals than a screen because it's easier to flip back and forth between sections.

Several Gnu projects already do this, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCC-5-2-Manual-1-2/dp/9888381091/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PQ11RNQKM30W6NXB93QH

I don't mind setting it up, just let me know where the payments should go.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Reference Guide hard copy
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 05:38:29 pm »

segfault

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 07:59:15 am »
Thanks Handoko,

I'll probably be using CreateSpace, Amazon's own self-publishing platform. I might have to provide some tax information, so I'll contact the devs about that using the link you provided. Actually, it's probably best if I contact them first anyway, although I assume there won't be any objections.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 09:07:32 am »
I think it would be very easy to do with one of the on-line on demand book print services like lulu.
The manuals are already available in the correct formats.
E,g. http://www.lulu.com/shop/julian-bucknall/the-tomes-of-delphi-algorithms-and-data-structures/paperback/product-488272.html is a book that I bought myself as hardcopy a long time ago, but is is now available through on-demand print.

Maybe Michael van Canneyt can look into that possibility. The print and bind quality of lulu is excellent. There are more similar services, like Amazon, though, but I have no experience with those.

Michael?

(The example is still my favorite Object Pascal book)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:17:47 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 09:39:03 am »
Thanks Handoko,

I'll probably be using CreateSpace, Amazon's own self-publishing platform. I might have to provide some tax information, so I'll contact the devs about that using the link you provided. Actually, it's probably best if I contact them first anyway, although I assume there won't be any objections.

I think it is a better idea to let Michael do such a thing since he is the author of all the manuals.
Specialize a type, not a var.

segfault

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 03:35:31 pm »
I contacted Michael and he seemed happy to let me arrange the details, and in the end I decided that lulu.com was the better option.

So the guide is now available as an A5 book:  :)

http://www.lulu.com/shop/micha%C3%ABl-van-canneyt/free-pascal-version-30-reference-guide/paperback/product-23244836.html

Choose your country:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/stores.ep

All royalties go to the Free Pascal and Lazarus Foundation. I've started the distribution process so it should be available on Amazon in 6-8 weeks.

Blestan

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 05:36:33 pm »
hi! i the owner ofa prining house and we do alot of print on demand jobs of books and guides. i will be happy if. i can help to generate revenues for the foundation.. if some one can assist me with the documents for the royalties i can print small to medium runs and deliver them on production costs (delivery in europe is nota problem butwe must figure how to do it in the rest of thecountries)
any ideas how to start to print hard copies on fpc/lazarus or pascal)
Speak postscript or die!
Translate to pdf and live!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018