Recent

Author Topic: Suggested Logos and Icons  (Read 82294 times)

LazaruX

• Lazarus original cheetah.The cheetah doesn't cheat
RE: Re: Suggested Logos and Icons
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 12:39:48 pm »
Check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_(software)

[...]Free Pascal is an open source compiler that runs on Linux, Win32, OS/2, Mac OS X, BSD, 68K and more [...]

so if reppascal does, then Lazarus should also

bee

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 12:42:07 pm »
Why windows' logo not using the "windows"? Is it the official logo of windows os now?
-Bee-

A long time pascal lover.

Pascaluvr

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 12:44:04 pm »
Interesting thoughts about the logos and icons but they assume that all are visually orientated.  I clearly am not.  In icons I related to 'Back', 'Forward' and 'Home' on my browser - but it took me 10 years to realise that 2 arrows in a circle meant 'Refresh'.

The saying is, "A picture says a thousand words", but for me, 1000 words confuse , when "File-->Save.." says it all.

Graphically oriented people put much importance on this ---  but most people just want to know how to find the tools they need easily and quickly.
Windows 7, Lazarus 1.0.8, FPC 2.6.2, SQLite 3

LazaruX

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 02:51:31 pm »
I had already though to change the Windows Logo to the windows, and I probably will changed as you sad. Or maybe combine them.

Well, a logo is just the graphics, you don't need to click anywhere. A logo is art. Art must be understud. For example if you look ad the "MOnna Lisa" image you (Pascaluvr) will probably only see a women, but other people will catch the message inside it. So thie icons in this logo will be a message. Today visuality is really important, things, persons are firsteble judged from their aspect, so a nice logo will be very attractive for other programmers.

10 years? common, really? You know if you take the mouse over an icon a hint will appear, maybe you will learn new buttons ;-).

Pascaluvr

Re: RE: Re: Suggested Logos and Icons
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 09:49:57 pm »
Quote from: "BPsoftware"

10 years? common, really? You know if you take the mouse over an icon a hint will appear, maybe you will learn new buttons ;-).

Yes, really!  I just learnt it last year.

And yes, I do realise that hovering the mouse over a button will give me a hint, but if I have to put the mouse over several buttons before I find the function I want, it is clearly much quicker for me to go to a logically organised text menu.

The majority of people do think in pictures, and so toolbars, icons, etc are really great for them.  I was just trying to point out though, that not all are graphically oriented and that it should not be the only emphasis.

For example, the 'Lazarus: write once - compile anywhere'  phrase sticks in my mind far more than any logo.

LazaruX

RE: Re: RE: Re: Suggested Logos and Icons
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 10:02:38 am »
Yeah, I think you where right BEE, the Windows logo is better.

Hey Pascaluvr, you are sometimes right, but I listen, if I click File -->Save, then I must click 2 times, clicking on the floppy icon is only one clock , faster. So graphics has its benefits.
However, I am drawing a logo, and a logo must have graphics, i think most users will agree with me.

(http://www.freewebs.com/bpsoftware/Lazarus_test_Logo_4.png)

Continue to send your suggestions, until we get the final logo for release 1.0.0

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 10:21:01 am »
To be more precise Lazarus doesn't support OS/2 or eComStation. Putting this on the logo would give a wrong image.

And what is the N? NextStep? I think we also don't support that. NextStep doesn't even exist anymore except for Cocoa on Mac OS X.

And the butter fly? Is that BeOS? Someone created some basic lazarus support for BeOS, but unfortunatelly he never submited patches, so his code is not on our repository.

Maybe some icons could be added to show that it can produce software for PDA, like windows ce and linux based PDAs

Another OS where Lazarus works, afaik, and itsn't listed above is Solaris.

LazaruX

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 10:24:41 am »
Well, if you say that Lazarus doesn't support  OS/2 then i will remove it (but freepascal supports it).
The N stands for Netware from Novell, I have read it supports it.

The butterfly stands for Morph OS, i have also read it supports it.

I agree with your idea of the PDA, i will add those icons. I will also add the logo of AFAIK, please post me any name of other OS that lazarus supports. And any mistakes

Merci boucoup

Pascaluvr

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Suggested Logos and Icons
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 10:30:32 am »

Hey Pascaluvr, you are sometimes right, but I listen, if I click File -->Save, then I must click 2 times, clicking on the floppy icon is only one clock , faster. So graphics has its benefits.

I never said that graphics doesnt have its benifits for those that can relate to them.  If fact I stated they were great.

Sure, clicking on an icon is faster for you, but since an icon means nothing to me, hovering over each of the icons to get the toolhelp to find the right one is far slower for me.

If icons were the answer for everyone why do we even have text menus and keyboard shortcuts?  The reason is because people are different!  Text menus work for me - icons work for others and keyboard for even others.

Design things that are just for your own tastes and you will definitely loose a lot of support.

With that in mind, why not change the logo text from "Lazarus Project" to "Write once, Compile anywhere".  It fits with your theme of the visual op system logos and actually says something about what lazarus is.

Text and graphics combined that express a common theme.

LazaruX

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Suggested Logos and Icons
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 10:38:21 am »
You are right, in fact i also use menus sometimes, i use icons only for actions i do very often.

I don't want  to loose support, I would like to design something that everybody likes, so please send me your suggestions. What do you like and what don;y you like from the logo?

Pascaluvr

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Suggested Logos and Icons
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 10:49:28 am »
You are right, in fact i also use menus sometimes, i use icons only for actions i do very often.

I don't want  to loose support, I would like to design something that everybody likes, so please send me your suggestions. What do you like and what don;y you like from the logo?

I think I edited my post while you were responding... so to cut and paste the relevent part:

With that in mind, why not change the logo text from "Lazarus Project" to "Write once, Compile anywhere". It fits with your theme of the visual op system logos and actually says something about what lazarus is.

Text and graphics combined that express a common theme.

LazaruX

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Suggested Logos and Icons
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 10:51:41 am »
Ok, I will add that text, I am not sure if i will remove the word Project, I will maybe write:

Lazarus
Project
Write once Compile everywhere

Thanks, any other suggestion is welcome, i will post the new logo soon

theo

• Global Moderator
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Suggested Logos and Icon
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 12:33:12 pm »

Thanks, any other suggestion is welcome, i will post the new logo soon

Let a graphic designer do the job.  ;-) GD&R

LazaruX

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Suggested Logos and
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 12:50:53 pm »
Why Teo? Don't you like the logo? Maybe I am a graphic designer.

theo

• Global Moderator
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Suggested Logos and
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 01:04:22 pm »
I didn't say I could do it better, but I know that I'm not a graphic designer.
I think the old logo looks more professional, although it's not really great.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018