Recent

Author Topic: what files does text mode ide need?  (Read 7529 times)

rgh

what files does text mode ide need?
« on: May 30, 2017, 03:15:35 pm »
In search of the nostalgic feeling one gets on meeting an old friend, I thought I'd play with the text mode ide.

Since it doesn't seem to be part of my lazarus 1.6.4 installation, I downloaded fpc-3.0.2.i386-win32.exe & installed it. That indeed gave me a working fp text ide, but the installation procedure added a second fpc bin folder to my path, additional to the original lazarus one.

So, I want to copy fp.exe over to my lazarus bin folder & get rid of the duplicate path entry.

But what files do I need to copy for the correct functioning of the text ide?
I can see:
fp.exe
fp.ini
fp.ans
fp.cfg
I'm guessing some of these may be auto created by fp.exe, if it finds them missing. Plus there may be other required files that I won't immediately discover.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: what files does text mode ide need?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 03:29:52 pm »
You can use any proper editor for text mode applications.
I use Geany on Linux for that e.g.

But you just need fp.exe if you are on Windows, or this:
Code: [Select]
copy con one.pas
program one;begin writeln('Hi humanity');end. <press Ctrl-Z>
fpc one.pas
one

Meaning that Fp.exe has the full compiler built in. Otherwise, use your favorite editor and use the command line compiler.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:34:16 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

rgh

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 03:38:52 pm »
you just need fp.exe if you are on Windows
ok, thanks.

I know any text editor would do, at the moment I'm mostly just using windows notepad.

rgh

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 04:10:27 pm »
you just need fp.exe if you are on Windows
ok, thanks.

I know any text editor would do, at the moment I'm mostly just using windows notepad.

Apologies, I don't think I'd read your post carefully enough.
Quote from: Thaddy
Meaning that Fp.exe has the full compiler built in

You mean that fp.exe is able to compile source code without requiring fpc.exe somewhere on the path?

I'd assumed firstly that fp was just an editor that calls fpc when any actual compiling needs to be done and secondly that fpc itself needs various other of those files in the bin folder in order to do its work.

molly

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 04:17:49 pm »
@rgb:

fp has a built-in compiler. That is both a blessing and a curse. Blessing because you do not require any other 'files' in order to compile and a curse because it is bound to the processor that fp itself is running on.

fpc command-line compiler can make use (once installed) of several cross-compilers, allowing you to compile for a wide range of targets.

Most programmers oriented editors have a special tool menu that allow for customization by user. Usually in such tool menu the user is able to add fpc commandline compiler (with your desired compiler options).

Also, most of these programmer's oriented editors supports, Pascal highlighting, code-folding, project management etc. See for example, geany, notepad++, programmers notepad, etc.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:19:55 pm by molly »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:52:48 pm »
Most programmers oriented editors have a special tool menu that allow for customization by user. Usually in such tool menu the user is able to add fpc commandline compiler (with your desired compiler options).

Also, most of these programmer's oriented editors supports, Pascal highlighting, code-folding, project management etc. See for example, geany, notepad++, programmers notepad, etc.

Personally I think they aren't worth anything. Either go directly to Lazarus (which really understands pascal), or stay with the IDE.

The IDE is fast, and the syntax editor is mostly right, while the language tools of such 3rd party editors is very generic and fairly worthless

TinyPortal © 2005-2018