Recent

Author Topic: Screen Resolution making the Form Designer look bad  (Read 10096 times)

abarchman

Screen Resolution making the Form Designer look bad
« on: May 12, 2017, 02:32:11 am »
This is not a question, but just an observation that might help others.

After doing some development on a screen with the resolution of 1366x768 (win 7), I moved the app source to a computer with the new resolution of 1920x1080 (win 10).  On the newer computer the designer was all messed up.  None of the fonts lined up with anything, and were oversized by not fitting in any text/combo boxes.  Labels were half covered by other objects.  Ruined any careful arrangement of components on a form.

The answer turned out to be a custom scaling factor set 150%.  Once changing the scaling to 100%, the design forms magically came back to proper proportions.  Plus I had wanted to take advantage of the higher resolution and fit more on the screen, which I can now do.

Here is a question:  Can Lazarus be made to better handle scaling factors different from 100% ?

BobS

Re: Screen Resolution making the Form Designer look bad
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 03:37:59 am »
Have you tried the Trunc yet?  I believe they have added DPI awareness.  I am in fact about to try it out myself since I use a 4K monitor, while some problems can be gotten around, some tools, like the menu editor, are pretty awful under 4k (which is hard to use at 100% scaling even on a large monitor I find).  Also 1.7 is coming soon (I keep reading ;) ) and it is also said to be DPI aware.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:59:42 am »
Also 1.7 is coming soon (I keep reading ;) ) and it is also said to be DPI aware.
Actually it is 1.8.
Please test the fixes 1.8 branch and report problems.
 http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_1.8_fixes_branch
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

BobS

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:53:31 am »
Also 1.7 is coming soon (I keep reading ;) ) and it is also said to be DPI aware.
Actually it is 1.8.
Please test the fixes 1.8 branch and report problems.
 http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_1.8_fixes_branch
Hmm I tried to get it but Tortoise starts to download then asks for username/password maybe I'm in wrong SVN directory I tried: https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/branches/fixes_1_8
Which is only 1.8 I can find.  Happy to test it if I can get it :).  I can get Trunc fine.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 12:04:56 pm »
Tortoise just co'd 1.8_fixes here with that link w/o asking anything.....
Specialize a type, not a var.

BobS

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 12:25:05 pm »
Tried again but the Authentication dialog comes up.  I'll try again after restarting my computer later, maybe the Internet gods just don't like me right now.

BobS

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 03:05:06 pm »
Well still getting asked for username/password :(.

Anyway I compiled the Trunc (note I got missing Oracleconnection error when doing bigide had to use all instead...64 bit Windows 8.1).  On a 4k display Icons scale and are properly sized, but in the menu editor in the right hand window pane things are not scaling, they look ok at 100%, but as you scale Windows to 150% they are a little cut off on the bottom (about 25% missing) at 200% badly cut off barely readable (the same as in 1.6.4 and earlier).  New editor is nice though.  Of course for the menu editor I don't use it that much so it's easy enough drop down in my scaling to use and go back up. 

If I find anything else I'll let you know.  I have not played with it enough to know if it solves the OP problem.

Thaddy

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 03:14:47 pm »
Just open a command prompt then and do svn co with the path you gave. Unless you are in a country or have a provider with restricted internet idiocy you should be ok.
I double checked right now. Both Tortoise and plain svn work as they should from the Netherlands.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:17:17 pm by Thaddy »

Zoran

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zoran
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 04:00:03 pm »
Just open a command prompt then and do svn co with the path you gave. Unless you are in a country or have a provider with restricted internet idiocy you should be ok.
I double checked right now. Both Tortoise and plain svn work as they should from the Netherlands.

Even stranger is that he says he can check out trunk, just not branches/fixes_1_8.

@BobS: Are you sure that you are using same path prefix for branches/fixes_1_8 that you are using for trunk?
Please do this:
- Right-click on your local folder where you checked out the trunk
- from pop-up menu choose "Tortoise SVN", then "Repo-browser"
- Now Repository browser should appear. Wait until it gets filled with paths from repository. Then, in the left side tree view, can you see the "branches" folder (see attached picture Capture1)?
If you can, expand branches and fixes (see Capture2). Copy the path from URL window from top and try checkout with this...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:02:38 pm by Zoran »

BobS

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 12:29:52 am »
Well there's nothing like getting some sleep.  I deleted the folder I was using created a new one and now Tortoise is downloading just fine.  I have no idea what went wrong since I didn't change anything and Tortise remembered the address.  Thanks for the replies.

BobS

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 04:21:48 am »
Getting the same fail with the make on 1.8 as I did with Trunc everything goes great until the "Can't find oracleconnection used by registersqldb". 

But the make clean all, does work. 

So I commented out these two lines in resistersqldb.pas
line 82: orcaleconnection
line 232: ,toracleconnection
and now the make bigide works.

Thaddy

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 08:04:03 am »
Note that TortoiseSVN would have shown an icon that your local svn repository was in a conflicted state...

BobS

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 08:46:35 am »
It never did though, since the folder was always empty and it never got far enough to download anything.  Of course now there is a conflict since I had to edit one of the .pas files, but that's expected.

BobS

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 09:56:48 pm »
I didn't see a bug report for the Menu Editor specifically for the problem above so I'll get some screen shots later and try making a bug report.

In the meanwhile there is an odd one, in the Object Inspector when choosing a color sometimes no problem, but then at some time the color list stops being scaled properly (well I've noticed it twice).  If Lazarus is restarted than it works again (I don't know yet if closing and opening OI also clears the problem, hopefully as that's an easy work around).  Don't know if this has been reported, I'll take a look later to see.  But I don't know yet what starts this problem.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018