Recent

Author Topic: lhelp invalid file handle - Mac OS x  (Read 4718 times)

tcarnevale

lhelp invalid file handle - Mac OS x
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:21:52 am »
I've installed Lazarus on each of two Macs, a MacBook Pro and an iMac, each running MacOS sierra 10.12.14.

When I try to invoke Help from the Help menu on either installation I get "lhelp   Invalid file handle ...".

The online documentation only refers to Windows installation of help, so I'm at a loss.

I think the relevant files are in /Developer/Lazarus/Components/lhelp/  which contains no .chm files but contain other files, some of which are .pas files.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Phil

Re: lhelp invalid file handle - Mac OS x
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 12:29:17 am »
When I try to invoke Help from the Help menu on either installation I get "lhelp   Invalid file handle ...".

Yes, probably wasn't tested on a Mac. File a bug report.

wp

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 12:41:14 am »
The online documentation only refers to Windows installation of help, so I'm at a loss.
Which documentation are you referring to? The wiki article http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Help_in_the_IDE#Installing_CHM_help_.28Lazarus_1.0_and_later.29 does NOT mention Windows. It even gives the short-cut to open help on a Mac. Therefore, I would not say that lhelp is untested on this system.

One first thing to check would be: make sure that lhelp (in (lazarus)/components/chmhelp/lhelp is compiled. Run the binary. Select "File" / "Open", navigate to (lazarus)/docs/chm and select one of the chm files. Does lhelp show the file?

tcarnevale

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 05:24:22 am »
Thanks!

Was referring to the wiki (http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Help_in_the_IDE#Installing_CHM_help_.28Lazarus_1.0_and_later.29).  It does mention Windows "Note: these instructions use Windows path notation, but they also apply to other systems with minor changes.", so I did mis-speak.

I went through each of the following:

• lhelp is in fact compiled.  I did run it on toc.chm and seems to work fine.
  • ChmHelpPkg 0.2 is listed as one of the installed packages.
  • lcl.chm and dcl.chm are each installed where they are supposed to be.
  • Under Options, Viewer is set to CHM Help Viewer, Help.EXE is set to /Developer/lazarus/components/chmhelp/lhelp/lhelp.app and HelpFilesPath is set to /Developer/lazarus/docs/chm/.  (See attached).

Same results. >:(

Not sure what to do now.

I'll fiddle some more but any help will be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

carl_caulkett

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:30:40 am »
Hello, did you manage to get this sorted? I'm having exactly the same problem on an Apple Mac and am similarly perplexed!
"It builds... ship it!"

Mac Mini M1
macOS 13.6 Ventura
Lazarus 2.2.6 (release version)
FPC 3.2.2 (release version)

JackRG

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 02:31:54 am »
I too am having this problem. Followed all the steps you described and got the same results.

SassyPenguin

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 02:40:09 pm »
This problem still exists, all CHM & lhelp file are where they supposed to be, press F1 open topic options, but nothing happens after selection is made.

Tested on Manjaro KDE, CachyOS KDE, same result. Lazarus installed from repository & owner of the folder was root.
Lazarus 2.2.4 (Win11, Manjaro KDE, CachyOS KDE, Linux Mint)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 03:59:51 pm »
Does it change if you put the chms in .... docs/html ? instead of docs/chm ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2018