Recent

Author Topic: lhelp invalid file handle - Mac OS x  (Read 3225 times)

tcarnevale

lhelp invalid file handle - Mac OS x
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:21:52 am »
I've installed Lazarus on each of two Macs, a MacBook Pro and an iMac, each running MacOS sierra 10.12.14.

When I try to invoke Help from the Help menu on either installation I get "lhelp   Invalid file handle ...".

The online documentation only refers to Windows installation of help, so I'm at a loss.

I think the relevant files are in /Developer/Lazarus/Components/lhelp/  which contains no .chm files but contain other files, some of which are .pas files.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Phil

Re: lhelp invalid file handle - Mac OS x
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 12:29:17 am »
When I try to invoke Help from the Help menu on either installation I get "lhelp   Invalid file handle ...".

Yes, probably wasn't tested on a Mac. File a bug report.

wp

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 12:41:14 am »
The online documentation only refers to Windows installation of help, so I'm at a loss.
Which documentation are you referring to? The wiki article http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Help_in_the_IDE#Installing_CHM_help_.28Lazarus_1.0_and_later.29 does NOT mention Windows. It even gives the short-cut to open help on a Mac. Therefore, I would not say that lhelp is untested on this system.

One first thing to check would be: make sure that lhelp (in (lazarus)/components/chmhelp/lhelp is compiled. Run the binary. Select "File" / "Open", navigate to (lazarus)/docs/chm and select one of the chm files. Does lhelp show the file?
Mainly Lazarus trunk / fpc 3.2.0 / all 32-bit on Win-10, but many more...

tcarnevale

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 05:24:22 am »
Thanks!

Was referring to the wiki (http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Help_in_the_IDE#Installing_CHM_help_.28Lazarus_1.0_and_later.29).  It does mention Windows "Note: these instructions use Windows path notation, but they also apply to other systems with minor changes.", so I did mis-speak.

I went through each of the following:

• lhelp is in fact compiled.  I did run it on toc.chm and seems to work fine.
  • ChmHelpPkg 0.2 is listed as one of the installed packages.
  • lcl.chm and dcl.chm are each installed where they are supposed to be.
  • Under Options, Viewer is set to CHM Help Viewer, Help.EXE is set to /Developer/lazarus/components/chmhelp/lhelp/lhelp.app and HelpFilesPath is set to /Developer/lazarus/docs/chm/.  (See attached).

Same results. >:(

Not sure what to do now.

I'll fiddle some more but any help will be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

carl_caulkett

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:30:40 am »
Hello, did you manage to get this sorted? I'm having exactly the same problem on an Apple Mac and am similarly perplexed!
macOS 10.14.1
Lazarus 2.0.0RC2 Carbon / Lazarus 2.1.0 r59743 Cocoa
FPC 3.0.4

JackRG

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 02:31:54 am »
I too am having this problem. Followed all the steps you described and got the same results.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018