Recent

Author Topic: Modern UI in Lazarus  (Read 189676 times)

Wargan

• 'This way' site
Customizable framework on Lazarus
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 11:36:58 am »
Gentlemens, what do you think about the idea of creating a customizable UI framework on FPC / Lazarus, similar to the same Qt Gui?
I mean that at the moment Windows is the most common OS in the world, so it's not necessary that such a framework is cross-platform (If this in some way interferes)

What is a customizable framework? I understand it this way: the ability to create applications with themes. This is the cornerstone in the development. Custom themes for controls (like BGRA Controls), forms and other UI elements (in web design, this is called the front-end)
Lazarus 1.8RC5+ FPC 3.0.4.
Windows 7 x32, RAM 3 Gb.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: Modern UI in Lazarus
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 11:41:21 am »
That's already possible. Easy.
Specialize a type, not a var.

Wargan

• 'This way' site
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 11:43:16 am »

What do you mean by the word "already"?
Windows 7 x32, RAM 3 Gb.

molly

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 11:53:55 am »
Something like this or this perhaps ?

In case not, then i'm sure there are plenty of other projects around that fit your description
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:55:32 am by molly »

Thaddy

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 11:59:51 am »

Even the original design of Borland's VCL and thereby the LCL of Lazarus was originally designed so separate user-interface from business (database) logic.
It s merely the fact that Borland designers did not ENFORCE that, that we still have the distinction between the VB trained screen-drawers guild and professionals.
And it is easy.. I simply can not respect PROGRAMMERS that only look at DESIGN. Designers can't program, programmers can usually not design.
In the case of Delphi and Lazarus programmers (that population is rather unbalanced between computer scientists and screen drawers with nothing in between) why don't you simply have a look at everything that's already there? BtBtn, panels, borders, forms, in general EVERYTHING you need to have a modern look.

You're lazy, y'all....

Sorry, but THAT is the case.

Wargan

• 'This way' site
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 12:24:48 pm »
I simply can not respect PROGRAMMERS that only look at DESIGN. Designers can't program, programmers can usually not design.

The design of the program is as important as its coding (IMHO)
Syndrome of dull design - the trouble of single programmers
Windows 7 x32, RAM 3 Gb.

Wargan

• 'This way' site
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 01:23:06 pm »
In the case of Delphi and Lazarus programmers (that population is rather unbalanced between computer scientists and screen drawers with nothing in between) why don't you simply have a look at everything that's already there? BtBtn, panels, borders, forms, in general EVERYTHING you need to have a modern look.

You're lazy, y'all....

I'm talking about the problem of creating applications with a customizable interface, globally ... How can applications with the most lame interface help in creating a good, friendly UI?
---
Not at all lazy  :P. Before I talked about the idea of the UI framework, I studied the materials, incl. proposed by the participants of the forum. Alas, there is nothing suitable on FPC/Lazarus :(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:24:49 pm by Wargan »
Windows 7 x32, RAM 3 Gb.

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
Re: Customizable framework on Lazarus
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 02:54:12 pm »
What is a customizable framework? I understand it this way: the ability to create applications with themes.
As Thaddy already mentioned, that is easily possible today (and yesterday, and 5 years ago) with fpGUI Toolkit - a 100% cross-platform GUI toolkit implemented in pure Object Pascal - talking directly to the underlying windowing systems. :)  No 3rd party dependencies like GTK2, QT etc.

Here is a list of themes included as standard with fpGUI. The fpGUI community has created many many more such themes.
  http://geldenhuys.co.uk/~graemeg/themes/start.html
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:57:40 pm by Graeme »
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 03:45:46 pm »
Go and make the first post screenshots with any of the libraries mentioned. Even not being lazy these are a hard work with the available tools in Lazarus.

Thaddy

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 03:59:23 pm »
Go and make the first post screenshots with any of the libraries mentioned. Even not being lazy these are a hard work with the available tools in Lazarus.

Oh well. dunno what you want but this  took two! seconds...: with standard LCL

lainz

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2017, 04:02:50 pm »

LOL you're being funny.

Thaddy

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2017, 04:12:03 pm »

LOL you're being funny.

I am also a bit serious and telling the truth.... Now add a bitbtn to the left... make it flat... etc... It's all there...
 O:-) O:-) O:-) And it really took two seconds. Took me more to take the screenshot,save and post it...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:15:15 pm by Thaddy »

lainz

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2017, 04:18:26 pm »
I will not change you and you will not change me, so is up to anyone to choose what to do with their time and choose their tools. Phil show me a map made entirely with JavaScript that loads some coordinates in the program window and wanted a cross platform way to display it, instead of using a mac only approach. Even in my signature I don't have an electron link but a BGRAControls (working on it since I started using Lazarus) / BGRABitmap one that's pure lazarus.

Thaddy

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 04:56:37 pm »
I will not change you and you will not change me, so is up to anyone to choose what to do with their time and choose their tools. Phil show me a map made entirely with JavaScript that loads some coordinates in the program window and wanted a cross platform way to display it, instead of using a mac only approach. Even in my signature I don't have an electron link but a BGRAControls (working on it since I started using Lazarus) / BGRABitmap one that's pure lazarus.
I have a google maps piece  written entirely in KOL (34 K only) and can do the same in about any language at the low level. Just with the google stuff. I can also do the same with OpenMap. What's wrong with you? Somebody has to write the low-level. That's the point. You can never ever make a career out of programming if you rely on other people to do the difficult stuff, go to your boss and demand a raise.

At least I did some of that  "difficult" stuff.. as did plenty of people on this forum... Silly.

lainz

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 05:02:08 pm »
I did also components for UI, but if I can use an already made solution I will choose it.

Edit: for example this small website:
https://lainz.github.io/webapps/compras.html

Do it exactly pixel by pixel with lazarus. Of course is possible but what is the cost on developing each component.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:04:14 pm by lainz »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018