Recent

Author Topic: Database for small GTD Todo application  (Read 14466 times)

Phil

Re: Database for small GTD Todo application
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 01:54:35 am »
Qt is neat, though: a great designer, well written library, and one thing that I especially appreciate is the fact that you can use styles (CSS like) so that your application looks great.

Something you might find interesting: I just noticed that Microsoft uses 64-bit Qt 4.8 in their excellent Remote Desktop app for Mac, although the Qt .dylib (dynamic libraries) take up more than half of the .app bundle's 39MB footprint.

Made with Qt: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id715768417?mt=12

I use this app just about every day.

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 09:00:16 pm »
That looks really neat! ;)

One thing that I do not like about Qt is that mobile dev, and perhaps also for Mac, due to LGPL, is the fact that one need to buy a costly commercial license.
And the fact that it is not possible to change licenses during development.
If I had the money, I would definitely consider using it, because it is rock solid.
more signal - less noise

Phil

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 09:50:35 pm »
One thing that I do not like about Qt is that mobile dev, and perhaps also for Mac, due to LGPL, is the fact that one need to buy a costly commercial license.

I'm not aware of anything on OS X or iOS that would require you to statically link the Qt libraries into your executable. You've always been able to bundle .dylib files with an .app bundle on OS X. Years ago, Apple required iOS apps to have all code statically linked in, but now you can include frameworks (libraries in a special folder) as part of an iOS app.

There may be reasons why a commercial license is required, but I don't see that LGPL would be it on Mac or iOS.

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 10:50:31 pm »
Thanks for the info - that's nice to learn. ;)
more signal - less noise

TinyPortal © 2005-2018