Recent

Author Topic: Rant: Lazarus on Linux: messed up. Completely.  (Read 39572 times)

ArminLinder

• Keep it simple.
Re: Rant: Lazarus on Linux: messed up. Completely.
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2017, 09:32:52 pm »
For the records ...

I just installed on Debian 8.7 "Jessie" without any problems, just like you said. Basic tests all went fine, including IDE compile and debugging.

So as long as one needs just a plain vanilla installation an apt-get install lazarus does fine, and he won't need fpcupdeluxe.

I think I go on with Debian then, three independent people saying that Debian is best suited for Lazarus development can't be that wrong.

Thanks 2 all for your help, and happy coding,

Armin.
Lazarus 3.3.2 on Windows 7,10,11, Debian 10.8 "Buster", macOS Catalina, macOS BigSur, VMWare Workstation 15, Raspberry Pi

Akira1364

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 11:07:50 pm »
Lastly, I think that Lazarus and FreePascal are really missing out on a big opportunity when it's not using a package manager of its own.
Python has that, Node.js has that, Rust has that, why not FPC/LCL ?
That would simplify installation/upgrade/modification to great extent.

Such a thing certainly does exist, and it is everything you would want it to be/works flawlessly, but it's part of a certain controversial fork, not "Lazarus Proper".

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 11:13:39 pm »
Sorry to hear about that fork..

But, after trying fpcupdeluxe, that is really, really close to being 'such a thing'.
more signal - less noise

Akira1364

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 11:22:39 pm »
It has a ways to go I would say, but yeah, it's definitely a significant step in the right direction.

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 11:27:33 pm »
Thanks jacmoe for recommending Netrunner. I've just checked the info about it. Although I prefer the lightweight Mate, but Netrunner seems worth to try.
I am using Netrunner with the rolling release repository switched on.
And I am using LXQt instead of KDE/Plasma because LXQt is really lightweight.
I like Netrunner because I like KDE/Qt, Debian and the fact that the Netrunner team are actively contributing back to the Debian project.
That said, it is essentially just plain Debian testing, with a tiny layer of fixing on top.
more signal - less noise

SymbolicFrank

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2017, 11:32:54 pm »
For the records ...

I just installed on Debian 8.7 "Jessie" without any problems, just like you said. Basic tests all went fine, including IDE compile and debugging.

So as long as one needs just a plain vanilla installation an apt-get install lazarus does fine, and he won't need fpcupdeluxe.

I think I go on with Debian then, three independent people saying that Debian is best suited for Lazarus development can't be that wrong.

Thanks 2 all for your help, and happy coding,

Armin.

Good to hear it works.

But it's not just for Lazarus development: use Debian Stable if you want it to work out of the box. Simple as that.

Ubuntu is mostly Debian Testing, with some Unstable packages added. Mint is like Ubuntu Testing, or Debian Unstable, for a large part. But it's new and shiny  :D

The same goes for Red Hat, which is mostly different so they can sell enterprise service contracts. Fedora is like Red Hat Testing, and CentOS like Fedora Testing, or Red Hat Unstable, if such versions existed.

Everything else is simply exotic. It sometimes works.

If you want shiny, new and/or exotic, expect to spend a lot of time fixing your broken system.

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 11:41:39 pm »
If you want shiny, new and/or exotic, expect to spend a lot of time fixing your broken system.
That is not always the case, though.
I found that Ubuntu and Linux Mint broke my system more than I was comfortable with.
Debian Stable is not an option, except when you are willing to put up with ancient software.

So, that leaves only a few options, like Netrunner, that is Debian testing / unstable "done right" - which is to say that it works without having to get our hands dirty most of the time.
I am too old/impatient to muck about with my operating system, so Arch / Gentoo are definitely not options!

My wife is currently running Netrunner simply because I am tired of constantly having to rescue her messed up Windows installation.
She is definitely not a power user.
Linux makes sure that she can't accidentally mess up.

Sorry for being too off-topic, btw.
more signal - less noise

ArminLinder

• Keep it simple.
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 12:28:12 am »
AArgh.

You know why the Chinese are said to always wail? Because they believe, if they don't, the Gods of Luck get jealous and send them bad luck. There may be some truth in this.

I was so happy that I completely overlooked that the Lazarus version I got on Debian Linux is long outdated (1.2.4). Unforunately my latest project made use of TDateTimePicker, which needs (it seems) at least 1.4 or 1.6 to be available.

I thought well, we have fpcupdeluxe, the magic bullet.

After installation I selected my CPU and OS, and let it fire away ... but it didn't get very far unfortunately. Here are the last few lines and the errors:

"fpcupdeluxe: info: 8-2-17 00:18:14: fpcup015 (20161220) started.
Executing : as "--version" (working dir: )
GNU assembler (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.25
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or later.
This program has absolutely no warranty.
This assembler was configured for a target of `i586-linux-gnu'.
Executing : unzip "-v" (working dir: )
fpcupdeluxe: info: Error running fpcup. Technical details: error executing sequence fpc; line: 2, param: FPC
fpcupdeluxe: info: Error running fpcup. Technical details: error executing sequence Default; line: 3, param: fpc
"

Stuck again. I'll go for the .deb packages from sourceforge next.

Armin
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:17:09 am by Nimral »
Lazarus 3.3.2 on Windows 7,10,11, Debian 10.8 "Buster", macOS Catalina, macOS BigSur, VMWare Workstation 15, Raspberry Pi

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 12:30:10 am »
I had that error too.

What I did was first install FPC only, then perform a full install.
more signal - less noise

ArminLinder

• Keep it simple.
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 01:12:28 am »
Aaand finally, the circle is complete.

I downloaded the fpc, fpc sources and lazarus packages (.deb) from Sourceforge, I installed them in the usual order (fpc, src, lazarus), started Lazarus, it complained about gdb missing, installed that too (apt-get install gdb), and Lazarus 1.6.2 started with no further complaints.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to compile the empty application, nor the IDE. The error message looks familiar:

lazarus.pp(53,3) Fatal: Cannot find interfaces used by Lazarus, incompatible ppu=/usr/share/..../gtk2/interfaces.ppu, package LCL.

This thing is, on Linux, as broken as a broken thing can be.

Armin.

ArminLinder

• Keep it simple.
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 01:33:33 am »
@jacmoe

tried what you suggested, with fpcupdatedeluxe run as su and without, always end up with the same error.

And now I kick my dog and go to bed.

Armin.

ArminLinder

• Keep it simple.
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 03:18:26 am »
Since I like my dog, I continued. After endless trials and errors I found the magic bullet to fix the magic bullet:

sudo aptitude install make binutils build-essential gdb subversion zip unzip libx11-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev

OK, I admit, I didn't take the time to check out which package exactly fixed the issue, I just installed them all, and afterwards I could successfully build Lazarus using fpcupdeluxe.

Info is reliable insofar that I have, just to be sure, reset my VM to blank Debian install, and tried again, and got the same behavior: without the packages, fpcupdeluxe fails, after installing them it runs through and gives me a nicely working Lazaus 1.6.2. So the problem and the fix are reproducible any time.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 06:02:19 am »
What a interesting finding.

I've just checked my system and I found all of them are already installed on my computer:
- libx11-dev
- libgtk2.0-dev
- libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev
- libcairo2-dev
- libpango1.0.dev

If my memory serve me well, I never install any of them directly. Maybe they were installed automatically when I install Lazarus/FPC, or perhaps the default of fresh UbuntuMate installation.

DonAlfredo

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2017, 06:06:06 am »
Normally, fpcupdeluxe checks the availability of these libs.
And reports/complains if missing.
But I have never tested with Netrunner (Debian).

Now installing Netrunner in VM. So fpcupdeluxe will do the right things also on this system.

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2017, 11:51:31 am »
Since I like my dog, I continued. After endless trials and errors I found the magic bullet to fix the magic bullet
Thank God for dogs :D

Nice troubleshooting!
more signal - less noise

TinyPortal © 2005-2018