Recent

Author Topic: Error 2014052302 in FPC 3.0.0  (Read 4635 times)

Eugene Loza

• My games in Pascal
Error 2014052302 in FPC 3.0.0
« on: December 07, 2016, 09:51:01 am »
As far as I know this issue has been fixed in yet unreleased FPC versions (since Feb2016).

Looks like I've finally encountered that 2014052302 beast :)
I've been capable of tracking it down to fgl unit. Basically it starts appearing when the application starts getting really big and uses fgl object lists. The second screenshot points to compiler being unable to track back children of the parent class (DPartyView is a descendant of DSingleInterfaceElement). Typecasting also stops working in this case (however, I've forgotten to write down the exact error message because I didn't understand what was happening).
I'm afraid there is still no reliable way to reproduce the bug. Everything works fine until suddenly it stops and the error goes away only after restarting lazarus and purging the project directory of compiled files.
I have some memory leaks in my project one of which goes to a wierd memory address $F0F0F0F0F0F0F0F0.

Lazarus 1.6.2 (afair the bug was seen also at 1.6.0 version)
FPC 3.0.0
Debian Jessie 64 bit

Hardly that would help, but maybe the fact that it looks like *fgl* object lists stop recognizing descendants of the class type might be useful...
My FOSS games in FreePascal&CastleGameEngine: https://decoherence.itch.io/ (Sources: https://gitlab.com/EugeneLoza)

guest58172

Re: Error 2014052302 in FPC 3.0.0
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 10:04:32 am »
For reference: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=28100

Welcome to the club, this issue is the most annoying I've ever had with FPC. Maybe it's time for a 3.02 release ! It's more than one year that FPC 3.0.0's been released.

By the way I see that the issue states to be fixed in 3.1.1...does this means that 3.0.2 won't include the fix, and only 3.2 ?

guest58172

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:01:34 pm »
Please FPC people, build more often. Do you think that when you make an OSS project in Pascal it's reasonable to say to people that they can only build or get involved only if they use the development version of a compiler.

seriously FPC devs, wake up. A few months ago, we had a discussion. You show me the clusterfuck it is to release...we're in 2016, there's gitlab, github,... there are plenty of continuous integration services, there are containers, etc.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:13:47 pm »
seriously FPC devs, wake up. A few months ago, we had a discussion. You show me the clusterfuck it is to release...we're in 2016, there's gitlab, github,... there are plenty of continuous integration services, there are containers, etc.

Yeah, source only releases like GPC did. Oh wait, they are dead for 5 years already.

A 3.0.2rc1 is in the works, but on hold due to limited time. It will probably get running in the coming weeks due to more free time due to christmas.

guest58172

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 01:37:19 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. A good news.

About my comment on git you've reply "source only". Nay. You don't get the thing. With these site, patchs, as send to Mantis, are called branches. Instead of sending a patch, you show your branch with the modifications, it's called a pull request. With the CI services, merging and building is done on each push on a server that solely used to test if it will work. Also people don't have to send a new patch after each comment, they simply update their branch, and then the pull request is updated automatically. When everybody is happy you can merge the supplier branch. You even have an option to "squash" all the modifications done because of the comments (aka the review) into a single one.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 02:34:59 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. A good news.

About my comment on git you've reply "source only". Nay. You don't get the thing. With these site, patchs, as send to Mantis, are called branches. Instead of sending a patch, you show your branch with the modifications, it's called a pull request.

And usually people present you with heavily modified branches, and then whine why you don't integrate everything. The patch system is a good way to force the burden of minimizing changes on the author of the modification.

With the CI services, merging and building is done on each push on a server that solely used to test if it will work.

This does not require git. A testsuite check has been done for a long time nightly, and the last ten years (till +/- a few months back) using a build cluster.  Relatively underused.

The fact that you don't know all this before suggesting a new setup says enough. People always blame tools, and new tools will magically be used because they are so much more shiny than the old ones.

This is rarely the case in practice.

Also people don't have to send a new patch after each comment, they simply update their branch, and then the pull request is updated automatically.

This is a fundamentally wrong reasoning, as clearly the bottleneck is in change processing by core, not in change creation.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018