Recent

Author Topic: What's new?  (Read 6417 times)

Erik@T

What's new?
« on: January 26, 2007, 11:51:27 am »
Hello,  I'm new to the Lazarus project, and I really like it. I was wondering if there is some kind of "What's new" file for every release of Lazarus and Freepascal. Also for the daily snapshots.

Another question: is there a time plan for the release of Lazarus 1.0? When will it be expected? The current roadmap does not contain a time plan.

Thanks in advance.
Erik

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
Re: What's new?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:33:12 pm »
Quote from: "Erik@T"
I was wondering if there is some kind of "What's new" file for every release of Lazarus and Freepascal.

For lazarus see the announcements in the "news"section in the left menu. For fpc, I think there is a file in the fpcbuild repository and their website has a news section too.

Also for the daily snapshots.

Only automated, the svn logs. A similar file exists for fpc.

Another question: is there a time plan for the release of Lazarus 1.0? When will it be expected? The current roadmap does not contain a time plan.

I cannot give a reliable time plan for Lazarus 1.0. Of course I can call a date, but it might as well be two times earlier or three times later.

Erik@T

What's new?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 04:29:52 pm »
Hello Vincent, "bedankt"  :wink:

I tried Lazarus a few years ago. It was really beta that time because of some dos-box that was visible at in the background, even if it was a win-application. Maybe I did something wrong.

Anyway, Lazarus is quit amazing now. I tried 0.9.20 a few days ago. Works fine, but the compiler/linker is slow (WinXP). Today I downloaded 0.9.21 beta with the new FreePascal, and now the compiler/linker is lightning fast!!!

I'm a Delphi2006 developer, but the Lazarus multi platform possibilities are the big ++ for Lazarus. I'm new to Linux development, but I managed to install Lazarus on Ubuntu and made my first Hello-World-application. It's really great!

I think, when I start a new project in the coming months, I'll use Lazarus in stead of Delphi2006. I hope that Lazarus 1.0 will be there at that time. I prefer a stable 1.0 instead of a 0.9.x beta, even if it's just in the name  :!:

DelphiFreak

• Fresh sound.
What's new?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 03:22:59 pm »
That's why I asked some weeks ago if it would make sense to split IDE and LCL into two parts.

Because I think that the IDE is now almost on a version level 1.0, but the components are not.

Also the amount of changes/new features is different.
While I do not assume a lot of changes to the IDE, the number of components will grow over the next nn years.
Linux Mint 20.3, Lazarus 2.3, Windows 10, Delphi 10.3 Rio, Delphi 11.1 Alexandria

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
What's new?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 04:04:06 pm »
My impression is that the LCL mostly needs bug fixes and not much new features. Of course new components will be developed and maybe even distributed with Lazarus in its components directory, but the features of the LCL is rather fixed. What may improve in the futures is the different widgetset backends like gtk2, qt and carbon.

OTOH, in the IDE, there is much room for new features for refactoring, visual form inheritance, svn integration, etc.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018