Recent

Author Topic: Fpcupdeluxe  (Read 794622 times)

Okoba

Re: Fpcupdeluxe
« Reply #2160 on: March 17, 2023, 08:02:33 pm »
Great!. So at some place in code, it face a permission error and crashes? If you need my help to find it out, I will be happy to try.
I set it to install again, lets see if it installs a working aarch64 version.

In the mean time, I set the previous x64 version to install a cross compile version fro Darwin and aarch64, but if I set my app target cpu and os to them, it says "Compiler "/Users/ok/fpcupdeluxe/fpc/bin/x86_64-darwin/fpc.sh" does not support target aarch64-darwin"
do you know why?

I will report back on aarch64 install.

Okoba

« Reply #2161 on: March 17, 2023, 08:05:05 pm »
by the way, what is the best way to copy a previous install to a new folder and let fpcupdelux install another one baes on it? I am thinking about this to prevent fpcup to clone again. Like I want to install to a new folder set to aarch64 and Darwin, and it would be nice to use the previous cloned install to build a new one.
I didn't copy it as I guessed it messes up something, but do you have a preferred way for it?

Okoba

« Reply #2162 on: March 17, 2023, 10:12:31 pm »
Okay. Install of aarch64 version worked without any problem. Thank you!

DonAlfredo

« Reply #2163 on: March 18, 2023, 08:57:44 am »
Please have a look at the screenshot.
This is how I do this. Every install by fpcupdeluxe has the same structure, including its own fpcupdeluxe inside the up-directory, pointing one directory up.
For a new install, you might copy the fpcsrc-, lazarus- and up-directory into a new directory. Start fpcupdeluxe from the up-directory and point it to this new directory. Things should work.

Okoba

« Reply #2164 on: March 18, 2023, 09:39:34 am »
I tried your way:
Copying fpcsrc, and lazarus, and move fpcupdelux and its settings to a new folder near them named up, so it looks likes:
NewLazarus:
  fpcsrc
  lazarus
  up
    fpcupdeluxe-XXX.exe
Running fpcupdeluxe with setting install path to "..\".
It raised an error like: "Fatal: (11009) Unable to open file ..\config_lazarus\idemake.cfg"
Should I set the path on something else, or copy config_lazarus too?

DonAlfredo

« Reply #2165 on: March 18, 2023, 09:42:30 am »
You need to use the button to set the (absolute) install path.

Okoba

« Reply #2166 on: March 18, 2023, 09:50:46 am »
I tired absolute path and it worked properly, thank you.
But what is the point of moving fpcupdelux to up if you don't use relative path? Just a habit to tie very version of Lazarus to the fpcupdelux that installed it?

DonAlfredo

« Reply #2167 on: March 18, 2023, 09:57:55 am »
Correct. This method prevents mistakes. At the cost of 8MB of extra storage. I made the mistake of overwriting existing installs many times myself. With this method not anymore.

Okoba

« Reply #2168 on: March 18, 2023, 10:15:20 am »
Thank you!
Fpcupdeluxe is a very useful tool and it made my life easier.

BosseB

« Reply #2169 on: March 24, 2023, 10:50:15 am »
So being a bit stupid but interested, I have one question regarding fpcupdeluxe:

How do I get started?
I went to the github link shown here, but I could not figure out how to get started using this to set up Lazarus/Fpc on my Windows x64 laptop.

The most important info seems to be missing from the Readme:
What to do in order to start using fpcupdeluxe?

Why not add such a small section to the Readme.md file?

I am at a complete loss as to what to do to get started.
And I cannot really browse through all 145 pages of posts in this thread either.
--
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Eugene Loza

• My games in Pascal
« Reply #2170 on: March 24, 2023, 01:14:13 pm »
How do I get started?
Just press that big button "Install/Update FPC+Laz" and you're good. The default presets should work well. however that may not be the good use-case for FpcUpDeluxe. So you can select the desired install versions combinations from two lists a bit above "Install/Update FPC+Laz" button.

Finally trying pressing "Trunk" button to get you a less stable but perfectly up-to-date versions of both FPC and Lazarus.
My FOSS games in FreePascal&CastleGameEngine: https://decoherence.itch.io/ (Sources: https://gitlab.com/EugeneLoza)

BosseB

« Reply #2171 on: March 24, 2023, 03:26:49 pm »
How do I get started?
Just press that big button "Install/Update FPC+Laz" and you're good. The default presets should work well. however that may not be the good use-case for FpcUpDeluxe. So you can select the desired install versions combinations from two lists a bit above "Install/Update FPC+Laz" button.

Finally trying pressing "Trunk" button to get you a less stable but perfectly up-to-date versions of both FPC and Lazarus.
I still do not understand...
I am just staring at the github page with multiple folders and files displayed in a list and a Readme.md that does not describe what one is supposed to do.

Do you suggest that the github page contains a  "big button" to click?
I cannot see it...
Might it be because I am on Windows???
Could you post a screenshot showing the button locations, please?
--
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Eugene Loza

• My games in Pascal
« Reply #2172 on: March 24, 2023, 04:00:17 pm »
No, no. Like any other app released on GitHub, go to "RELEASES" (https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/releases), find the latest release (Release v2.2.0q of fpcupdeluxe as of this moment), download an appropriate executable for your operation system (may need to press "Show all..."), most likely something like fpcupdeluxe-x86_64-win64.exe - and then run it as a program.
My FOSS games in FreePascal&CastleGameEngine: https://decoherence.itch.io/ (Sources: https://gitlab.com/EugeneLoza)

KodeZwerg

• Fifty shades of code.
    • Delphi & FreePascal
« Reply #2173 on: March 24, 2023, 05:03:58 pm »
When I use fpcupdeluxe and activate in options the unicode checkbox I am getting a zillion of errors.
For what purpose is that switch please?
(win10, 64bit, laz trunk, fpc stable, target/widget win64)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 05:22:14 pm by KodeZwerg »
« Last Edit: Tomorrow at 31:76:97 xm by KodeZwerg »

BosseB

« Reply #2174 on: March 24, 2023, 06:56:36 pm »
No, no. Like any other app released on GitHub, go to "RELEASES" (https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/releases), find the latest release (Release v2.2.0q of fpcupdeluxe as of this moment), download an appropriate executable for your operation system (may need to press "Show all..."), most likely something like fpcupdeluxe-x86_64-win64.exe - and then run it as a program.
OK, so I have now done that and used it to install Lazarus 2.2.6 with FPC 3.2.2
Note:
fpcupdeluxe also listed FPC 3.2.4 but that has not been released yet AFAIK so I did not select that version...

So far so good, I now have that pair of applications installed, but...

Some more Questions and observations:

1. OnLine Packlage Manager?
My usual procedure with new Lazarus installs is to use OnLine PackageManager to install additional packages, of which I keep a list to get the same basic config for all my Lazaruses.
However in this Lazarus it seems like OLPM is not available!
It is normally the last item on Menu/Package.
Why is this missing?
Every time I have previously installed Lazarus from manually retrieved sources on Linux and using the combined installer from Sourceforge for Windows this menu item has always been available and now it is not there!
Seems strange since it is always part of the Lazarus sources otherwise.  >:(

2. Where to locate custom packages?
Also I usually check out a set of custom packages from our own SVN server into the pcp dir so it is kept with that version similar to what OnLine Package Manager does.
Will this not work here?

3. Adding older versions of Lazarus/Fpc?
Where will a new install of an older version set be located if installed with fpcupdeluxe?
Say I would like Lazarus 2.0.12 + Fpc 3.0.4 as a second installation without mixing together with the one I just did, how is that accomplished?

I have noted that fpcupdeluxe did not create a sub-directory below the top level install path for the install I did just now.
So do I understand it such that the path entered in the top left box as "Install path" has to be set by oneself to a unique name to indicate which version it contains?
I expected it to use the install path as a top level dir below which it would create a suitably named sub-directory to place the new install.

4. Rename install path?
Given the above, can I now rename the install directory to a suitable name after the install has completed?

5. Uninstall the newly installed Lazarus/Fpc?
How do I properly go about uninstalling what fpcupdeluxe has installed since I got the directory named wrong?

6. Cross compiler?
How do I add a cross-compiler to an already installed Lazarus/Fpc?
--
Bo Berglund
Sweden

TinyPortal © 2005-2018