Recent

Author Topic: Fpcupdeluxe  (Read 792651 times)

zoltanleo

Re: Fpcupdeluxe
« Reply #1890 on: July 30, 2021, 10:43:59 pm »
Hi all.

I'm use FPCupdeluxe v.2.0.0a. When I try to install the compiler from gitlab at first I constantly get prompted for my gitlab credentials (see attach). The log contains the following error 
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. fpcupdeluxe: Performing SVN/GIT/HG/FTP/URL checkout/download. Please wait, could take some time.
  2. fpcupdeluxe: Start of compile error summary.
  3. fatal: repository 'https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/fpc.git/' not found
  4. remote: The project you were looking for could not be found or you don't have permission to view it.

Do I understand correctly that this is related to the sources of the compiler on gitlab?

ps. my gitlab account is active and correct
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:48:12 pm by zoltanleo »
Win10 LTSC x64/Deb 11 amd64(gtk2/qt5)/Darwin Cocoa (Monterey):
Lazarus x32/x64 2.3(trunk); FPC 3.3.1 (trunk), FireBird 3.0.10; IBX by TonyW

Sorry for my bad English, I'm using translator ;)

DonAlfredo

« Reply #1891 on: July 30, 2021, 10:51:56 pm »
There are no FPC sources on Gitlab. So you need to wait a bit more.
However. All needed binaries are already downloaden from Gitlab, so you can use the alternative sources to install FPC and Lazarus: use the .git or .zip sources.

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

• Professional amateur ;-P
« Reply #1892 on: July 30, 2021, 11:12:20 pm »
Hey Don,

On the subject of *.zip files, I noticed that the GUI froze when the FTP was being performed.

Did you not include the FTP code on the thread when you did the big re-write for the threading code?

Cheers,
Gus
Lazarus 3.99(main) FPC 3.3.1(main) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
Lazarus 3.0.0(stable) FPC 3.2.2(stable) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
http://github.com/gcarreno

zoltanleo

« Reply #1893 on: July 30, 2021, 11:12:52 pm »
There are no FPC sources on Gitlab. So you need to wait a bit more.
However. All needed binaries are already downloaden from Gitlab, so you can use the alternative sources to install FPC and Lazarus: use the .git or .zip sources.
OK. Thank U for answer.
Win10 LTSC x64/Deb 11 amd64(gtk2/qt5)/Darwin Cocoa (Monterey):
Lazarus x32/x64 2.3(trunk); FPC 3.3.1 (trunk), FireBird 3.0.10; IBX by TonyW

Sorry for my bad English, I'm using translator ;)

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #1894 on: July 31, 2021, 11:05:25 am »
Hey Don,

I just wanted to report that I was able to get trunk(Or should we call it HEAD from now on?) from Graeme's GIT mirror for both FPC and Lazarus working.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get my previous configurations transposed to this new install.  :-[
This is not an issue with fpcupdeluxe. I'm still investigating with what resides the issue and if it's something worth mentioning, I'll report back.

I guess, that's the post: I've done it with GIT :)
I just thought that someone should post some positive feedback since you did challenge us to try it ;)

As always, MANY thanks for your continuous and non stopping effort in keeping fpcupdeluxe up to snuff with all the new things happening around FPC and Lazarus!!

Cheers,
Gus

DonAlfredo

« Reply #1895 on: July 31, 2021, 11:18:38 am »
@Gus.

You welcome.
And you are right: downloading is done in the main thread. So it freezes the GUI. As fpcupdeluxe is more or less only a fancy GUI around the commandline fpcup, this is hard to change. And it might never change. Its a limitation. But (for me) an acceptable one.

Some good news.
It is expected that FPC sources on Gitlab will (also) become available (online) later today !

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #1896 on: July 31, 2021, 11:36:13 am »
Hey Don,

And you are right: downloading is done in the main thread. So it freezes the GUI. As fpcupdeluxe is more or less only a fancy GUI around the commandline fpcup, this is hard to change. And it might never change. Its a limitation. But (for me) an acceptable one.

Hummm, Ok, I can live with that ;)
Somehow I was under the impression that when you did the Thread re-write all went under that thread.
I guess that the only thing you've threaded is you version of RunCommand, for when you run stuff that's outside you control on the main thread.
It, nonetheless, makes sense that some of the functionality that does not come from any command line binary would be implemented in Object Pascal and run under the main thread.
I guess I did a booboo and assumed something wrong. Crap, I did it again :)

Some good news.
It is expected that FPC sources on Gitlab will (also) become available (online) later today !

YAY, that is, INDEED, very good news!!

I'm guessing that v2.0.0a is ready to use that once it's online, right?

Cheers,
Gus

DonAlfredo

« Reply #1897 on: July 31, 2021, 12:01:07 pm »
I guess I did a booboo and assumed something wrong.
Nothing wrong ! I have been thinking about this myself. The OPM has a very nice GUI-based downloader. I might ask the author to allow fpcupdeluxe to use their sources to implement this.
I hope so !!

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #1898 on: July 31, 2021, 12:16:25 pm »
Hey Don,

I guess I did a booboo and assumed something wrong.
Nothing wrong ! I have been thinking about this myself. The OPM has a very nice GUI-based downloader. I might ask the author to allow fpcupdeluxe to use their sources to implement this.

WOW, that would be awesome!!!
One of the things I was gonna mention is the fact that I REALLY missed some kind of progress report on the downloading.

And while I was writing this answer I remembered that I actually wrote such a thing for when WP was having the same issue in corona.

I think I never slapped a copyright on it, and even if I did, I wouldn't mind it being stripped of cuz it's not a big deal to me.
I'm attaching the code I offered WP on this post. I think that there's even a threaded version of the modal form, but I'm not sure that works.
So please accept the code without any pre conditions. Have a look and feel free to pick and choose ;)

I hope so !!

I'm crossing my fingers, LOL  :D

Cheers,
Gus

DonAlfredo

« Reply #1899 on: July 31, 2021, 12:46:05 pm »
Many thanks for sharing your code. I ill have a go at including it into fpcupdeluxe.

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #1900 on: July 31, 2021, 12:56:58 pm »
Hey Don,

Many thanks for sharing your code. I ill have a go at including it into fpcupdeluxe.

Well, there's only a finite amount of time that you can give your support to a project you love, by just making people aware of it.
There comes a time when you actually have to put some skin in the game to prove how committed to it you are.
You either shell out some mulah or, in my case, a poor bastard, you offer your time, so no thanks needed!!

It is I who needs to thank you for the amazing and herculean effort of getting fpcupdeluxe to this point.
Me I'm just a grain of sand on the concrete mixture that makes your building ;)

Cheers,
Gus

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #1901 on: July 31, 2021, 02:43:13 pm »
The OPM has a very nice GUI-based downloader. I might ask the author to allow fpcupdeluxe to use their sources to implement this.
I think the license already allows it. Does it not?
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

lucamar

« Reply #1902 on: July 31, 2021, 03:28:19 pm »
The OPM has a very nice GUI-based downloader. I might ask the author to allow fpcupdeluxe to use their sources to implement this.
I think the license already allows it. Does it not?

Maybe: fpcupdeluxe is LGPL (with linking exception) while OPM is pure GPL so some problems might arise, depending on exactly how they are integrated.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #1903 on: July 31, 2021, 03:48:13 pm »
Maybe: fpcupdeluxe is LGPL (with linking exception) while OPM is pure GPL
Hmmm...
fpcupdeluxe is an application, not a library. How can it be LGPL which is for libraries only.
LGPL used to mean "Library General Public License".
Now for some reason it means "Lesser General Public License".
Anyway it allows to link a library to an application without releasing the application's sources.
fpcupdeluxe is an executable with a GUI. It cannot be linked to another application. It should be pure GPL.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

lucamar

« Reply #1904 on: July 31, 2021, 03:55:25 pm »
Now for some reason it means "Lesser General Public License".

The reason was at least two-fold: because it expresses better that it's not the "real" GPL but a "lesser" one, and ... because it could be (and was, and is) applied to things other that libraries like, say, whole programs.

fpcupdeluxe is an executable with a GUI. It cannot be linked to another application. It should be pure GPL.

Hey! I'm just the reporter! Take it up with DonAlfredo 8)
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018