Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 835902 times)

balazsszekely

Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #1740 on: February 13, 2020, 04:37:06 pm »
@minesadorada
Getmem - can you add Splashabout?
Done. Thans for the new package.

Making a json from a component via OPM is currently flawed, but I did the best I could.
What do you mean? It works fine in my opinion. Line "UpdatePackageFiles", now is replaced with "UpdateLazPackage", because the classname has changed. Anyway this happened 2-3 years ago. Other then this, your json is exactly the same as a newly generated one. All you have to do is complete the download link and the version.

@avra
Looking at screenshot from your last message (https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=34297.0;attach=35380), I find a little confusing naming a column "Repository". Would that be OPM's repository or author's repository? You gave an explanation in screenshot and also after some thinking someone might come to the correct conclusion by himself, but I do not find it clear enough. Instead of "Repository" and "External" column names I would suggest "OPM" and "External", or "OPM Repository" and "External Repository" if you like long names.
Thanks for the suggestion. I renamed the columns to "OPM Repository" and "External Repository". I also added a long hint for a more detailed description. Please test with r62629.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:41:33 pm by GetMem »

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #1741 on: February 13, 2020, 06:07:14 pm »
I renamed the columns to "OPM Repository" and "External Repository". I also added a long hint for a more detailed description. Please test with r62629.
Thanks. You're faster then light!  :D
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

coliv_aja

« Reply #1742 on: February 25, 2020, 02:03:49 pm »
Can you please update virtualtreeview package. The one in opm repo doesn't have the high dpi scaling.

wp

« Reply #1743 on: February 25, 2020, 02:21:05 pm »
I think the "official" version in Luiz' github doesn't support high-dpi either. Use the version which comes with Lazarus instead (package laz.virtualtreeviewpackage).

balazsszekely

« Reply #1744 on: February 25, 2020, 02:30:59 pm »
@wp
IIRC laz.virtualtreeviewpackage is only available in trunk and it's not compatible with previous stable versions like 2.0.6. Or perhaps you can install it in a stable version, but some features won't work?

@coliv_aja
If you wish to use the high dpi version, please switch to Lazrus trunk where it's installed by default. The version available in OPM is for historical purposes only, and it will be removed in the next major release.

wp

« Reply #1745 on: February 25, 2020, 02:49:16 pm »
@wp
IIRC laz.virtualtreeviewpackage is only available in trunk and it's not compatible with previous stable versions like 2.0.6. Or perhaps you can install it in a stable version, but some features won't work?
Right, I forgot that it is in Laz trunk only. But I checked: no problem installing it into v2.0.6.

coliv_aja

« Reply #1746 on: February 26, 2020, 05:11:50 am »
I'm using trunk. I'm aware it's renamed to laz.virtualtrees. but for existing project or a shared project with delphi it would be better to just keep the original name. And it's not just the package's name but the units name and the component itself got renamed. And I don't like this direction of renaming the existing library that still mantained. VTV is one of most common delphi component. The development is still going strong. And someday maybe there's people who will porting the v6 and later to lazarus. To not break the compability, please keep the name intact, so when there's v6 and later for lazarus people can just update the library without changing much to the main project. It's feel like you guys going codetyphon way which is not nice IMO.

@wp, Luiz's repo does have the high-dpi scaling. I usually always use Luiz's repo, but this time giving opm a go. But it break the dpi-awareness scaling. So I compare the sources, and it's different.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1747 on: February 26, 2020, 06:28:06 am »
@coliv_aja
I'm using trunk. I'm aware it's renamed to laz.virtualtrees. but for existing project or a shared project with delphi it would be better to just keep the original name. And it's not just the package's name but the units name and the component itself got renamed. And I don't like this direction of renaming the existing library that still mantained. VTV is one of most common delphi component.
I'm afraid things are much more complicated then this. VTV(5.3.3) was added to Lazarus, because OPM depends on it. Initially we did not change the name, but then people started to complain about not being able to install other version like 4.8.x. When suggested to uninstall VTV 5.3.3 and OPM, they complained about the missing package manager. To satisfy everyone's needs, we renamed the package, this way it can coexists with any other installed VTV versions. As you probably know, the IDE does not like packages with the same name and for good reasons.
Since then a lot of improvment has been made to Laz.VTV, like:
- support for cocoa
- bugfix for linux arch
- high dpi support
- improved icons
- etc
The good news is, the vast majority of the changes was backported to Luiz's repo.
As you can see there is no ideal solution. If you whish to support both Lazarus and Delphi, just ignore the VTV inside Lazarus. Install the one available on github.

It's feel like you guys going codetyphon way which is not nice IMO.
This is not true. We never removed any license information and we always acknowledged Luiz as the package author. In fact, he is the one who suggested VTV 5.3.3 as the ideal candidate for Lazarus, and yes he was also worried about multiple, parallel VTV versions and synchronization between them. FOSS world is not an ideal one, many times you have to reach a compromise and find a mutually-acceptable solution.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:39:28 am by GetMem »

wp

« Reply #1748 on: February 26, 2020, 10:41:52 am »
@wp, Luiz's repo does have the high-dpi scaling. I usually always use Luiz's repo, but this time giving opm a go. But it break the dpi-awareness scaling. So I compare the sources, and it's different.
Yes, I forgot - 2 years is a long time...

So the point is that the VTV-v5 package distributed by OPM is not the same as the one in Luiz's "lazarus-v5" repo? If this is true we should update the OPM version.

And BTW, what is Luiz's "lazarus-master" branch? It does not contain the high-dpi additions.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:55:05 am by wp »

coliv_aja

« Reply #1749 on: February 26, 2020, 10:44:26 am »
I understand, since opm depend on it, so just let it be part of Lazarus as a fork. And let original VTV port as separate package. I'm just simply asking to update the VTV in opm repo. Since it's older than Luiz's repo. Shouldn't be a discussion which to use. Just update it or remove it if you don't want to maintain the original port in your opm repo.

coliv_aja

« Reply #1750 on: February 26, 2020, 11:09:34 am »
Yes, I forgot - 2 years is a long time...

So the point is that the VTV-v5 package distributed by OPM is not the same as the one in Luiz's "lazarus-v5" repo? If this is true we should update the OPM version.

And BTW, what is Luiz's "lazarus-master" branch? It does not contain the high-dpi additions.

Exactly. I'm simply asking to update the VTV in opm repo. Lazarus-master branch is VTV6. Luiz working on it some times ago but stopped further waiting for some features in fpc if I recall it correctly. Current Delphi VTV is at v7.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1751 on: February 26, 2020, 11:12:18 am »
I understand, since opm depend on it, so just let it be part of Lazarus as a fork. And let original VTV port as separate package. I'm just simply asking to update the VTV in opm repo.
Ok fair enough. I updated the OPM version to match Luiz's github version(https://github.com/blikblum/VirtualTreeView-Lazarus/tree/lazarus-v5).
A side note: since there are almost 200 packages in OPM and since I'm the only maintainer, I cannot constantly check each package for new versions.

wp

« Reply #1752 on: February 26, 2020, 12:26:49 pm »
since there are almost 200 packages in OPM and since I'm the only maintainer, I cannot constantly check each package for new versions.
Absolutely, and I admire you how you are able to achieve all this.

coliv_aja

« Reply #1753 on: February 27, 2020, 12:20:59 am »
I understand, since opm depend on it, so just let it be part of Lazarus as a fork. And let original VTV port as separate package. I'm just simply asking to update the VTV in opm repo.
Ok fair enough. I updated the OPM version to match Luiz's github version(https://github.com/blikblum/VirtualTreeView-Lazarus/tree/lazarus-v5).
A side note: since there are almost 200 packages in OPM and since I'm the only maintainer, I cannot constantly check each package for new versions.

Thanks. I understand. I really appreciate your work.
That's why I request for an update since you can't always check every package by yourself.

coliv_aja

« Reply #1754 on: February 27, 2020, 01:23:13 am »
Just some questions.
Does the Install "From third party repository" supposed to download from external link (JSON)?
When I'm trying to install BGRABitmap from third party repository it says no valid url found. While I can see it has a correct "DownloadZipURL".  BGRABitmap in OPM also need an update.

Also, can you cache the package list instead of downloading and parsing it all the times. I know the file is small, and I don't mind if it updated in the background. But OPM keep download and parsing the same file which takes a few seconds every time we open OPM.
I can see the server actually send "Last-modified" and "Etag" header that can be used to identify if the file has been modified. Simply stop to download the content if headers contains that header. Or send the http request with "If-Modified-Since: <last-modified>" or "If-None-Match: <etag>", server should respond with "304 Not modified" with no content if it match.

Another think is, can OPM accept IDE macros for its path like "ConfDir", "PrimaryConfigPath", "SecondaryConfigPath ". This is useful for portable lazarus in removable drive.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 01:36:10 am by coliv_aja »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018