Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 835929 times)

balazsszekely

Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #1680 on: September 10, 2019, 05:46:12 am »
When I face this problem again, do you think that I should try to install packages again manually in hope to reveal if it has anything to do with OPM?
Yes please. It would be really helpful.

Btw. I think it's a little odd to be notified before installation that packages are not compatible with user's Laz+Fpc combo. I would prefer that instead of this, OPM says something like packages have not been tested on that combination. It's a little less scary message. 
Thanks for the suggestion. Done in r.61850. Please test. As a side note, the dialog can be disabled from option. It won't show up, even when you try to install an untested packages.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #1681 on: September 12, 2019, 04:45:41 am »
I have tested and these are my findings:

Good:
In such tests I usually install packages in groups of 1-2 letters, like first all starting with A and B, then all starting with letters C and D, etc. This time I have reached P before incompatible PPU stroke again. I do not think I have ever reached this far without applying the workaround. Impression is that I have been able to install 2-3 times more components then usual. Of course, there are some components that do not work but I just skip them since they do suffer from compatibility problem, not from PPU problem. After I faced the PPU problem, my workaround worked and I could continue.

Bad:
I did not measure, but my subjective impression is that compilation is now much, much longer. Like IDE and all components are compiling again whenever I have new group of components for installation. That might not be that bad if you select everything and just select to skip all errors, but I installed in group of 1-2 letters and that increased time exponentially (subjective time evaluation). After half of the letters were installed, I had to let it install and do something else and only check from time to time if it finished or showed an error. It was thaaat long. Another bad thing is that some component near the end of the alphabet breaks the Lazarus completely and it can be started only if you rename lazarus.old.exe to lazarus.exe. I will see if I can identify problematic component, since that is not good at all. Imagine poor newbie who didn't make a backup and he can not start Lazarus any more...

Conclusion:
I do not have a definite opinion about your PPU fix put into OPM. I think I can compile much more then before without PPU error striking, but it seams to make compilation much longer. I think I would prefer OPM without it, but I am not 100% sure. I really think that someone from the core team should take a look at PPU problem, and I have already tried with bug tracker but it made no difference. Bug can be repeated but you have to spend several hours just to come into position to catch it, and it strikes. Like a hot potato no one likes to hold in his hands.

When I face this problem again, do you think that I should try to install packages again manually in hope to reveal if it has anything to do with OPM?
Yes please. It would be really helpful.
After PPU problem I tried to manually install already downloaded package which had reported incompatible PPU and error was the same so I could not install. After manual workaround everything compiled and I could continue.

Btw. I think it's a little odd to be notified before installation that packages are not compatible with user's Laz+Fpc combo. I would prefer that instead of this, OPM says something like packages have not been tested on that combination. It's a little less scary message. 
Thanks for the suggestion. Done in r.61850. Please test. As a side note, the dialog can be disabled from option. It won't show up, even when you try to install an untested packages.
Nice. Thanks!
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

balazsszekely

« Reply #1682 on: September 12, 2019, 09:58:30 am »
@avra
Thanks for testing.

Good:
In such tests I usually install packages in groups of 1-2 letters, like first all starting with A and B, then all starting with letters C and D, etc. This time I have reached P before incompatible PPU stroke again. I do not think I have ever reached this far without applying the workaround. Impression is that I have been able to install 2-3 times more components then usual. Of course, there are some components that do not work but I just skip them since they do suffer from compatibility problem, not from PPU problem. After I faced the PPU problem, my workaround worked and I could continue.
That's promising, but not good enough in my opinion. If the ppu bug is still clearly reproducible, we have to find another solution. I have no more ideas though.   :(

Bad:
I did not measure, but my subjective impression is that compilation is now much, much longer. Like IDE and all components are compiling again whenever I have new group of components for installation. That might not be that bad if you select everything and just select to skip all errors, but I installed in group of 1-2 letters and that increased time exponentially (subjective time evaluation). After half of the letters were installed, I had to let it install and do something else and only check from time to time if it finished or showed an error. It was thaaat long.
Yes. Dependencies are always recompiled, so the over all compile time is much bigger.

Conclusion:
I do not have a definite opinion about your PPU fix put into OPM. I think I can compile much more then before without PPU error striking, but it seams to make compilation much longer.
I will write to the developer list. Let's hope somebody has a better idea.

Bug can be repeated but you have to spend several hours just to come into position to catch it, and it strikes. Like a hot potato no one likes to hold in his hands.
:D True. I only catched the ppu bug a few times. Apparently my system is almost immune somehow. Perhaps depends on the fpc config too.

After PPU problem I tried to manually install already downloaded package which had reported incompatible PPU and error was the same so I could not install. After manual workaround everything compiled and I could continue.
I always suspected that OPM only triggers the error, by trying to compile multiple packages with dependencies between them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:01:39 am by GetMem »

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #1683 on: September 12, 2019, 12:08:59 pm »
Thanks for testing.
You're most welcome.

If the ppu bug is still clearly reproducible, we have to find another solution.
I agree. You should probably remove fix from trunk.

I will write to the developer list. Let's hope somebody has a better idea.
Please do and point them to this message. Here is the summary of "Incompatible PPU" bug:
  • I have some NewPackage that uses already compiled/installed OldPackage. When I try to install NewPackage Lazarus complains that PPU from OldPackage is not compatible. It happens first time after adding about 1/3 of the OPM packages that can be installed with current LAZ/FPC combo. Then I have to manually apply workaround to be able to continue installation of packages. Then after 5-10 packages it strikes again and the same workaround helps again. It repeats like that. PPU bug seams to prefer some packages just a little bit, but there is no rule and affected package may be random. Bug seams to strike earlier if I use -O3 instead of -O2. My "optimal" compile switches are "-O2 -g- -Xs -CpPENTIUMM -CfSSE3" but bug shows even with no optimization at all.
  • Here is the mentioned workaround: https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,43646.msg326093.html#msg326093
  • Here is some relevant discussion from long time ago: https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,43665.msg308117.html#msg308117
  • Here is my old bug report: https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=34899

My latest test was on LAZ trunk and FPC trunk. Before that with LAZ trunk and FPC 3.2.0. All the same. It was also tested with official LAZ, and also with LAZ fixes and FPC fixes and the only difference is that I had to patch FPC 3.0.4 or 3.0.5 first to remove 2GB Win32 limit because that limit was hitting before PPU bug showed. All tests were run on Win10x64 and all tested LAZ and FPC were 32bit.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #1684 on: September 13, 2019, 09:52:37 am »
point them to this message
You can mention to them that if needed I can archive the whole fpcupdeluxe directory and put it on some file sharing service. Last time I tried 7z file size was more then 600MB. Archive just needs to be extracted to C:\ and started with the shortcut already in the directory and IDE will start.

That should make testing less time consuming...

balazsszekely

« Reply #1685 on: September 13, 2019, 11:33:58 am »
@avra

I sent the message to the mailing list with your description, I also removed the fix from trunk.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #1686 on: September 13, 2019, 01:29:42 pm »
I sent the message to the mailing list with your description, I also removed the fix from trunk.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1687 on: September 13, 2019, 04:12:04 pm »
Good news. We got help from  a more experienced core member. Invalid ppu is just a generic messages, to find out more info, we have to compile FPC with: -vut .
Possible reasons for invalid ppu message:
- a package does not have a distinct output directory.
- packages sharing source or output directories.
- include files with same name.
- bug in FPC.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #1688 on: September 15, 2019, 01:01:50 am »
I have opened another thread for Incompatible PPU problem:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,46755.0.html

It will be better to continue related discussion there.

Soner

« Reply #1689 on: October 14, 2019, 05:22:09 pm »
Online Package Manager has small bug.
1) Klick on Homepage from one package. i.e. KControls.
Your browser opens KCOntrols homepage.
2) NOw klick on Home from one package that has not home page (url is empty) i.e. Kasttoolbar
It opens home page from previous package.
--> it should not open any homepage, because the url is empty.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1690 on: October 17, 2019, 05:44:43 pm »
@Soner
Thanks for reporting it. Fixed in r. 62068. Please test.

marsupilami79

« Reply #1691 on: October 24, 2019, 09:04:32 am »
Hello GetMem,

Zeos has released version 7.2.6 - which is a bugfix release for the 7.2 series of Zeos. Could you please update OPM?

Best regards,

Jan
Zeos developer

balazsszekely

« Reply #1692 on: October 24, 2019, 02:03:40 pm »
Hello Jan,

Zeos has released version 7.2.6 - which is a bugfix release for the 7.2 series of Zeos. Could you please update OPM?
Done. Thanks for the new version.

Best regards

Soner

« Reply #1693 on: October 30, 2019, 08:07:21 pm »
@Soner
Thanks for reporting it. Fixed in r. 62068. Please test.
Fixed in Lazarus svn-version.
Not fixed in Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch (upcoming Lazarus 2.0.6 version). Maybe the developers will merge your changes in the 2.0.8
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:14:06 pm by Soner »

balazsszekely

« Reply #1694 on: November 04, 2019, 06:10:02 am »
@Soner

Sorry for the late response.

Not fixed in Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch (upcoming Lazarus 2.0.6 version). Maybe the developers will merge your changes in the 2.0.8
The fix is now in the merge request for 2.0.8. See here:
https://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch#Submitted_by_developer_.2F_committer.2C_tested.2C_waiting_to_be_merged

TinyPortal © 2005-2018