Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 836029 times)

balazsszekely

Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #1620 on: May 13, 2019, 07:24:07 am »
@wp
Thanks for the new package. I added to OPM.

wp

« Reply #1621 on: June 04, 2019, 03:45:51 pm »
GetMem, could you update two packages in OPM:
But seriously again: It was discussed in another thread that OPM should check this information when a package is installed. AFAICS now, mismatching versions should only yield a warning but not prohibit installation.

Widgetsets should be made selectable from a combobox instead of allowing free text entry; also, I a missing some way to specify whether a package is suitable for 32bit/64bit targets.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1622 on: June 04, 2019, 06:57:19 pm »
@wp
GetMem, could you update two packages in OPM:
I updated the packages. Thanks for the new versions.

But seriously again: It was discussed in another thread that OPM should check this information when a package is installed. AFAICS now, mismatching versions should only yield a warning but not prohibit installation.
I did try to implement it(at least in theory), but I failed. It looks simple, but believe me is not simple at all. I can add a selectable combobox, but who's gonna list all the widgetsets other then the obvious ones(win32/64, gtk2, qt, carbon, cocoa). How can I found the actual widgetset? I need a ton of ifdefs? Like this?:
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1.  {$ifdef win64}
  2.   CurWidgetset = win64;
  3.   {$endif}
  4.   {$ifdef win32}
  5.   CurWidgetset = win32;
  6.   {$endif}
  7.   //...
Where can I found the list with all possible WS and the ifdef equivalent?
What should I do with the following, already existing widgetset description(this was taken from the main json, it's a real case): "Not a design-time package"?
What about Lazarus/ FPC versions? Should I differentiate between versions and subversion, like 2.0.0/ 2.0.2?
How can I preserve the compatibility between the new json(with all the selectable widgetsets, Lazarus/FPC versions) and the old one? 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:11:57 pm by GetMem »

wp

« Reply #1623 on: June 04, 2019, 07:25:04 pm »
Looking back this thread I see that I did not remember the discussion correctly (I was referring to the discussion around this topic: https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,34297.msg319438.html#msg319438).

In my incorrect memories I had thought that the installation of a package by OPM should only be done when there is a precise match of widgetset and Lazarus/FPC version. Besides the issues that you mention I also believe that this requirement puts an immense burdon on the package maintainers, and I fear soon installations will be blocked by unmaintained package descriptions.

Restricting to FPC alone as discussed above is only half the story and not satisfying to users because it will not be understood that the FPC version is checked by the installer but the widgetset not.

Therefore, I think that OPM should remain as it is.

korba812

« Reply #1624 on: June 04, 2019, 09:14:30 pm »
How can I found the actual widgetset?
Where can I found the list with all possible WS and the ifdef equivalent?
You will get this information in "LCLPlatformDef" unit.

If you need ifdef it is defined as "LCLplatform" eg LCLwin32 or LCLgtk2 etc.
{$ifdef LCLwin32}....{$endif}

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #1625 on: June 05, 2019, 10:21:11 am »
In my incorrect memories I had thought that the installation of a package by OPM should only be done when there is a precise match of widgetset and Lazarus/FPC version. Besides the issues that you mention I also believe that this requirement puts an immense burdon on the package maintainers, and I fear soon installations will be blocked by unmaintained package descriptions.
There should be no restrictions during installation attempts. It would be ideal if OPM could simply determine widgetset/architecture/laz/fpc combo, contact server to get installation failure rate (something like 522/741 meaning success/attempts), get last successful/unsuccessful package installation date for such combo (get all this info while reading list of available OPM packages), and show it to the user next to each package. Package success and combo info (if allowed by user) should be sent to server. At the beginning (and with each new fpc/laz version) this info will not show much, but in time data will be more and more accurate. If available, full version info should be matched (like 2.0.3 or 3.0.4) and shown, but if not then more relaxed partial version info should be looked for (like 2.0 or 3.0) and shown with warning color. Shown info would not be a guarantee that a package will be installed (trunk?), but it will be a good statistical probability info before any package installation attempt. Last successful and installation date of the package for user's combo would be especially informative to the user.
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

balazsszekely

« Reply #1626 on: June 06, 2019, 01:22:31 pm »
Sorry for the late response and thanks for the suggestions.

@wp
I remember the discussion. I think I found a reasonable solution for everyone.

@korba812
LCLPlatformDef is a life saver. Thanks.

@avra
For now, the communication between the server and OPM is in a single direction. The site admin only allows upload if a CGI is implemented(security reasons). This is why I did not completed the voting system. For the same reasons, any other statistics is also out of reach.

I implemented the "incompatible package" warning. A few notes:
1. The warning is optional(see image1). If the checkbox is unchecked, everything works as it did until now. For testing purposes the option is enabled by default, it can be disabled later if needed. Even when enabled, the user has the possibility to continue the install process.
2. I only added stable Lazarus/FPC versions + trunk for both(see image2). By default the following versions are supported:
     Lazarus:  2.0.0, 2.0.2
     FPC: 3.0.0, 3.0.2, 3.0.4
     WidgetSet:  win32/win64, gtk2
In my experience almost every package supports the above Lazus/FPC versions and widgetsets. When needed, a package maintainer can extend the list. If a new stable version appears, I will extend the default list. Old, obsolete versions like Laz. 1.6.0 are no longer supported.
3. The warning dialog looks like this(see image3), more detailed information can be obtained from hint.
4. The feature does not require any extra work from the package developers.
5. The feature is compatible with older versions of OPM.
5. I did not have time to test extensively. I will fix the reamining bugs later.

PS1: Suggestions as always are welcomed.
PS2: If you wish to test, try to install LazProfiler. The package needs Laz/FPC trunk, any other configuration should trigger the warning message.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:37:31 pm by GetMem »

Onur2x

« Reply #1627 on: June 14, 2019, 02:27:22 am »
Online Package Manager for turkish language packed pls add . thnx you

balazsszekely

« Reply #1628 on: June 14, 2019, 06:12:29 am »
@Onur2x

Online Package Manager for turkish language packed pls add . thnx you
Thanks. I sent the files to @Maxim.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #1629 on: June 15, 2019, 04:04:30 am »
Sorry for the late response and thanks for the suggestions.

@wp
I remember the discussion. I think I found a reasonable solution for everyone.

@korba812
LCLPlatformDef is a life saver. Thanks.

@avra
For now, the communication between the server and OPM is in a single direction. The site admin only allows upload if a CGI is implemented(security reasons). This is why I did not completed the voting system. For the same reasons, any other statistics is also out of reach.

I implemented the "incompatible package" warning. A few notes:
1. The warning is optional(see image1). If the checkbox is unchecked, everything works as it did until now. For testing purposes the option is enabled by default, it can be disabled later if needed. Even when enabled, the user has the possibility to continue the install process.
2. I only added stable Lazarus/FPC versions + trunk for both(see image2). By default the following versions are supported:
     Lazarus:  2.0.0, 2.0.2
     FPC: 3.0.0, 3.0.2, 3.0.4
     WidgetSet:  win32/win64, gtk2
In my experience almost every package supports the above Lazus/FPC versions and widgetsets. When needed, a package maintainer can extend the list. If a new stable version appears, I will extend the default list. Old, obsolete versions like Laz. 1.6.0 are no longer supported.
3. The warning dialog looks like this(see image3), more detailed information can be obtained from hint.
4. The feature does not require any extra work from the package developers.
5. The feature is compatible with older versions of OPM.
5. I did not have time to test extensively. I will fix the reamining bugs later.

PS1: Suggestions as always are welcomed.
PS2: If you wish to test, try to install LazProfiler. The package needs Laz/FPC trunk, any other configuration should trigger the warning message.

About the CGI: we're talking about Linux right? The CGI which database should use?

There's a package I was testing the other day that provides simple server, CGI, Apache and other modes with modules as endpoints or as well the newest version using routes. Fcl-web or package weblaz.

At work I use sqlite and an executable that works as a local server with a lot of get and post endpoints that are threaded. It should be something like that. We use a browser to run the HTML and js app in localhost and consume the endpoints. In this case will be a internet server instead of a local one. And the endpoints should be consumed from opm only... That's the hard part since there's no login to vote. One can send an unlimited number of votes from postman for example... Else we need to make a login system as well.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 04:13:37 am by Lainz »

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #1630 on: June 15, 2019, 11:16:57 am »
Something needs to be changed for pl packages in OPM. Installing 5-6 packages at a time I installed all pl packages except pl_dwscript which could not compile now on 2.0.3, although it worked on 2.0.1. I will deal with that later. The problem I report is that later I tried to install pl_dwscript package with some other packages, and after OPM failed to install it again, I left OPM and returned to IDE. IDE reported that files of all pl packages changed and need to be reloaded but failed to do so. When I looked in ct4laz dir, there was only pl_dwscript package. All other pl packages were missing. I had to reinstall them all again. Funny thing is that I am pretty sure that once or twice I tried to install only problematic package and OPM did not delete other packages, but now that I tried to install it with other packages, when failed OPM deleted all other already installed pl packages. If you want you can disable pl_dwscript in OPM and we can leave it only in ct4laz.

Fresh Lazarus 2.0 fixes and FPC 3.2 fixes 32bit via fpcupdeluxe on Win10x64.

EDIT: It is not just the case with pl packages. The same just happened with PlotPanel package:
Error reading file: Unable to open file "C:\PRG\Lazarus\Fixes20x32x\config_lazarus\onlinepackagemanager\packages\plotpanel-lazarus-0.97.1\plot.lpk"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 12:02:26 pm by avra »

balazsszekely

« Reply #1631 on: June 15, 2019, 10:16:01 pm »
Hi all,

I'm on vacation for two weeks. I will address the issues when I return. Sorry for the inconveniences.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #1632 on: June 16, 2019, 01:23:26 am »
Have a good vacation  :)

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #1633 on: July 03, 2019, 10:32:41 pm »
...pl_dwscript could not compile now on 2.0.3, although it worked on 2.0.1.
I tried but failed to make it work. It works on older LAZ 2.0.1 2019-05-08 FPC 3.2.0 SVN 60354M, but not on current fixes LAZ 2.0.3 and FPC 3.2.0.
In case anyone wants to try here is the package: https://bitbucket.org/avra/ct4laz/downloads/pl_dwscript.zip

balazsszekely

« Reply #1634 on: July 10, 2019, 06:38:30 am »
@avra
Finally I'm back. Sorry for the delay. I ran a few test with Lazarus Trunk/FPC 3.0.4, unfortunately I cannot reproduce the issues you mentioned. I will also try FPC 3.2.0 soon, most likely the problem only occur with a newer version of freepascal. Can you please test with Lazarus 2.0.2 or/and Trunk, combined with FPC 3.0.4? For now, 2.0.2/3.0.4 is the officially supported version. I would like to support FPC trunk too if possible, but I had issues in the past when I tried to install packages. The issues were unrelated to OPM, the internal package system could not install the packages("incompatible ppu files" if I remember correctly).

@Lainz
By CGI I meant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Gateway_Interface and yes the console application will run on a linux server, the same server where the package files are located. OPM will communicate with that console application, which will update the database internally. I don't know any specific details about the database, if I understood correctly the site admin prefers PostgreSQL. The console application can be written in any language, of course freepascal is the prefered one. :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018