Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 835837 times)

circular

• Personal webpage
Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2016, 08:22:12 pm »
That's a great idea.

I am wondering about updates: how to update the repository with latest version? Let's say I publish a new version of BGRABitmap, how can I update the version number in the package manager?
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

shobits1

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2016, 08:32:56 pm »
How about category for the IDE related things, like anchor docking, debuggers, ... maybe call it "IDE Enhancement" or something else (I'm not great with naming).

howardpc

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2016, 08:42:07 pm »
How about category for the IDE related things, like anchor docking, debuggers, ... maybe call it "IDE Enhancement" or something else (I'm not great with naming).
Perhaps LazIDEPlugins ?

balazsszekely

« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2016, 10:02:53 pm »
Thanks guys! I will add a few more categories soon. I just realised we need an entry for supported widget set.
@circular
I am wondering about updates: how to update the repository with latest version? Let's say I publish a new version of BGRABitmap, how can I update the version number in the package manager?
Each package has a "Home page" and a "Download URL" section(see screenshot from previous page). On request the package manager can download and install the updated package.

Memnarch

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2016, 03:14:00 pm »
Hi,
I am the author of Delphinus, so i thought i'd give my 2 cents:

First of all: Cool to see such a project for the Lazarus-Community. Several Month ago i was asked to port Delphinus to Lazarus, but i declined. I am way to busy with the Delphi-Version. And on top of that, my general knowledge of Lazarus and Freepascal is quite sparse.

About the security/legal-concerns of Delphinus and the reason to control everything on this Package-manager: This is going to be a really heavy task. Even systems like NuGet do not have a QA-Process. The "Report"-Button is there for a reason (the Delphinus Equivalent is just to report a Repository on Github if it violates law or has malicious code).

Your approach has a (quite dangerous) problem: By doing some kind of validation (and not opting out!) you give a false sense of safety and legal security. If something goes wrong, it might all fall back to you. Doing nothing and having an option to report, might be a better one.

Let the community hang the bad people for you ;)

Greetings
Memnarch

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2016, 04:42:32 pm »
Hi,
I am the author of Delphinus, so i thought i'd give my 2 cents:
Hi, and congratulations for your Delphinus. I plan to study it and get inspiration from it.

You are right, managing the system will require some work. There will be hundreds of packages at some point.
On the other hand Linux and BSD distributions manage their repositories which contain much more packages, sometimes compiled for many alternative architechtures.
If I understood GetMem right, our package manager will be able to download latest package versions from their trusted URLs. It means managing a package's version moves to its author.

Using the Delphinus approach as a main package manager has also other issues than QA. We would support only one of the commercial source hosting services. People would ask: "Why are you tied to GitHub? Do they pay you to ignore their competition?"
Well, they don't pay us. It would be fair to support Sourceforge, Bitbucket etc. Not all people like Git, why should Lazarus project force it on them?
I hope other hosting services also have APIs like GitHub has. In ideal situation we would support all the major ones, in addition to the managed main repository.

Regards,
Juha
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Memnarch

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2016, 07:28:27 pm »
I don't want to hijack this thread, but i'd like to explain why i used github:
None of the others had a suitable searchapi. I checked Bitbucket and Gitlab. Githubs is excellent to do what i wanted: Create a Packageindex without much work. It allows me to get started without managing a remote myself and give the Community control of the packages. That was essential for me for the beginning. If you read some of my older posts on my blog, you'll notice that i talk about adding support for multiple remotes for the future. And that's what is going to be the next project. However, this will not include Bitbucket or one of the other Big hosters. It is more intended to be an interface for defining/adding new types of remotes. I'll provide a Directory-Based one (good for offline environments).

If any of the other hosters (and i still hope for Bitbucket but their API is way beyond GitHubs) at some point extend their search api, i'll support them aswell. After all everything is abstracted by interfaces.

EDIT: But maybe at some point, i'll just abuse the Issue-Trackersystem of Github to allow other sources.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:33:56 pm by Memnarch »

jwhitten

« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2016, 08:52:03 am »
Is this to be something like "NuGet" for MS visual studio ? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NuGet, https://www.nuget.org/)

If so, I think it is really good idea. Worst part of Delphi/Lazarus for me is that you must hunt various packages across the internet and central repository would be so much better.

I completely agree!!

+1,000,000
Some programmers seem Blaise about Pascal...

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2016, 11:31:27 am »
Talking about NuGet ... can somebody please tell me how it manages the packages?
I understood it has a centralized place for them but who is allowed to add / remove / update packages?

It has server side SW which enables interactive feedback from users.
It would be useful in our system, too, but will not be implemented initially for sure.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Memnarch

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2016, 11:46:27 am »
Users do:
https://www.nuget.org/users/account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2Faccount

Register and you get access to it.

balazsszekely

« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2016, 05:41:17 pm »
@Memnarch

Finally I got the chance to study Delphinus. Very nicely done! Porting to Lazarus though it would require a tremendous effort, it contains a lot of microsoft specific stuff. I'm not even sure it's possible,  at least not without rewriting a large part of the code.

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2016, 05:46:14 pm »
Each package has a "Home page" and a "Download URL" section(see screenshot from previous page). On request the package manager can download and install the updated package.
Oh I see.

Update is down by pressing the green cyclic arrows?
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

balazsszekely

« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2016, 05:47:46 pm »
@circular
Update is down by pressing the green cyclic arrows?
That's the refresh button. Update is not yet implemented.

balazsszekely

« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2016, 05:50:16 pm »
The ETA for the next release is monday (24.10.2016). After the release, everyone can create packages for the main repository. Until then a quick preview(win32/64, gtk2, carbon).

Memnarch

« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2016, 05:58:28 pm »
@GetMem a lot of interfaces need to be reimplemented. The critical stuff is all encapsulated. But you're right. Behind the scenes i use a lot MS-Specific stuff, which is problematic in that case.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018