Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 838869 times)

balazsszekely

Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #1860 on: July 16, 2020, 02:06:37 pm »
@El Salvador, @calebs
BGRABitmap is now updated.

calebs

« Reply #1861 on: July 16, 2020, 02:58:18 pm »
@El Salvador, @calebs
BGRABitmap is now updated.

Thanks for the support!

wp

balazsszekely

« Reply #1863 on: July 20, 2020, 06:48:59 am »
@wp
GetMem, could you please update TParadoxDataset to v0.2.1.
I updated the package. Thank you!

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #1864 on: July 20, 2020, 10:21:31 am »
Hi GetMem,

Here are some more information about the version update process I've been using for BGRABitmap.

First:
- The JSON package information file is part of the master branch on the GitHub repository. So it is updated when the changes are merged.

Then (generally a few seconds afterwards but sometimes a bit later):
- The new version is released, adding a tag for the version, and then the zip archive of the package (mentioned in the JSON file) becomes available.

So I suppose the following can happen: OPM sees that there is a new version but when trying to access the zip file, it fails.

Could that be a reason for the problem of version update?
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

El Salvador

« Reply #1865 on: July 20, 2020, 10:45:16 am »
@El Salvador

With your latest changes to VTV, the selections in OPM are not visible anymore.(see attached image). If I revert the changes, everything works fine again.
Sorry, I saw your post only this morning. I checked LazVTV source against Delphi VTV 5.* and maybe I found the issue. I restored some lines of code. I don't know why this code in delphi source:

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. tsUseExplorerTheme in FStates) then

becomes in lazarus version:

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. (Theme <> 0) then

I'm posting the patch in this post, can you try it in OPM? So, we are sure this patch works properly. Then I will send the patch in Lazarus BugTracker and in github.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 12:01:57 pm by El Salvador »

fabiopesaju

« Reply #1866 on: July 20, 2020, 12:59:42 pm »
sorry for my ignorance... I don't know if OPM already does this, or if it has this option or not...

but, are all packages updated manually on the OPM server (http://packages.lazarus-ide.org/)? wouldn't it be better to always download the latest version of a url containing the file/git/svn? and compile the component from downloaded files? or at least allow it?

balazsszekely

« Reply #1867 on: July 20, 2020, 01:02:51 pm »
@El Salvador

Sorry, I saw your post only this morning. I checked LazVTV source against Delphi VTV 5.* and maybe I found the issue. I restored some lines of code. I don't know why this code in delphi source:
The bug is already fixed in trunk(r. 63586) by @pascal. I did ran a few test and it works fine.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1868 on: July 20, 2020, 01:16:29 pm »
@fabiopesaju
sorry for my ignorance... I don't know if OPM already does this, or if it has this option or not...
but, are all packages updated manually on the OPM server (http://packages.lazarus-ide.org/)? wouldn't it be better to always download the latest version of a url containing the file/git/svn? and compile the component from downloaded files? or at least allow it?
Yes. The packages are updated manually on the OPM server(http://packages.lazarus-ide.org/).
Unfortunately trunk versions may contain bugs and the bugtracker will be flooded with issues about third party packages(actually this already happened in the past), so it was decided, that OPM should only target stable version of a particular package. As a compromise, a package maintainer can push via OPM a newer, stable version of a package, for more details please check: https://wiki.freepascal.org/Online_Package_Manager

PS: I have working code for svn checkout, git clone. What you propose it can be easily achieved, but it's not preferred for the above mentioned reasons.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1869 on: July 20, 2020, 01:37:22 pm »
Hi GetMem,

Here are some more information about the version update process I've been using for BGRABitmap.

First:
- The JSON package information file is part of the master branch on the GitHub repository. So it is updated when the changes are merged.

Then (generally a few seconds afterwards but sometimes a bit later):
- The new version is released, adding a tag for the version, and then the zip archive of the package (mentioned in the JSON file) becomes available.

So I suppose the following can happen: OPM sees that there is a new version but when trying to access the zip file, it fails.

Could that be a reason for the problem of version update?

Hi circular,

Sorry for the late reply, somehow I did not noticed your post. OPM only checks the json in every few minutes, so I don't think the above mentioned reason is the problem.
Updating from the package maintainers webpage might fail because:

1. Many users did not liked the idea that OPM connects to various webpages(github, sourceforge, bitbucket, etc...) and downloads information about a particular package, 
so this feature is disabled by default(OPM-->Options-->General-->Check for package update, then change never to some other value).
2. In order to connect to github, OPM needs the ssl libraries. In lazarus trunk the libraries are automatically downloaded, that's not the case with previous versions.
3. Since 2.0.10 was released with FPC 3.2.0, it introduced a new bug. I fixed yesterday in trunk, but unfortunately is to late for 2.0.10.
In the next major release, everything will work well again. Luckily the release is not so far away.

Today I saw that you released 11.2.0.0 and I updated the central repository, maybe too soon. I just noticed that the update json is only 11.1.0.0.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:57:11 pm by GetMem »

El Salvador

« Reply #1870 on: July 20, 2020, 02:11:55 pm »
@El Salvador

The bug is already fixed in trunk(r. 63586) by @pascal. I did ran a few test and it works fine.
Ok. I don't know for "theme <> 0", but in my initial patch I forget this change:
Code: [Select]
  {$ifdef Windows}
  if tsUseExplorerTheme in FStates then
    CloseThemeData(Theme);
  {$endif}

Reviewing the code, maybe I will make another change in VTV sources. Stay tuned. :)

fabiopesaju

« Reply #1871 on: July 20, 2020, 03:53:47 pm »
@fabiopesaju
Yes. The packages are updated manually on the OPM server(http://packages.lazarus-ide.org/).
Unfortunately trunk versions may contain bugs and the bugtracker will be flooded with issues about third party packages(actually this already happened in the past), so it was decided, that OPM should only target stable version of a particular package. As a compromise, a package maintainer can push via OPM a newer, stable version of a package, for more details please check: https://wiki.freepascal.org/Online_Package_Manager

PS: I have working code for svn checkout, git clone. What you propose it can be easily achieved, but it's not preferred for the above mentioned reasons.

well, I believe it would be interesting to give the option to use the latest stable version of the OPM repositories or choose to download directly from the sources. but I understand that this could generate a flood of ignorant messages...

I have nothing to complain about, just to be grateful for the OPM... it would be an immeasurable lack of respect to criticize such a project, without even contributing in any way...

balazsszekely

« Reply #1872 on: July 20, 2020, 05:35:07 pm »
@fabiopesaju
I have nothing to complain about, just to be grateful for the OPM
Thank you.

it would be an immeasurable lack of respect to criticize such a project, without even contributing in any way.
In my opinion constructive criticism is always a good thing, unfortunately some users(not you) have unrealistic expectations from OPM or Lazarus in general.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #1873 on: July 20, 2020, 05:55:33 pm »
Today I saw that you released 11.2.0.0 and I updated the central repository, maybe too soon. I just noticed that the update json is only 11.1.0.0.

Seems that the version was not changed in that file.

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #1874 on: July 21, 2020, 04:41:59 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, somehow I did not noticed your post.
It's alright.

Updating from the package maintainers webpage might fail because:
Hmm I was not thinking about OPM plugin connecting to Github but about the repository (packages.lazarus-ide.org). I suppose that's where the list comes from.
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

TinyPortal © 2005-2018