Recent

Author Topic: installin fpc  (Read 12026 times)

Serpens

  • New member
  • *
  • Posts: 5
installin fpc
« on: February 20, 2007, 01:11:39 am »
hello im new on macs and i really wanna install lazarus but dont why i cant install fpc.
btw, i got intel mac osx

i have installed x11 and it works ( for example i can run the imageeditor GIMP)
i also have intalled the appledeveloper tools ( i can see them in library/repeicts)
and ive installed fink ( i see a folder sw in / )

now... when i want to install this file "fpc-2.1.1-20061024-i386-macosx.dmg" my mac tells me, that i need 2 install the apple developer tools...

im really out of ideas and im thankful for every help you offer, thx :)

ovidius

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 21
RE: installin fpc
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 12:27:18 pm »
Are you sure that you have installed the X11 SDK package for the developers tools and that you have installed the necessary packages in fink, e.g. gdk-pixbuf.

Look here for a complete step by step installation guide:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/OS_X_Programming_Tips

Serpens

  • New member
  • *
  • Posts: 5
RE: installin fpc
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 12:57:05 pm »
Yeah all installed except for x11 sdk but okay ive installed that one too and i reinstalled developer tools and when i want to intall fink it says that the path /sw exists
when i enter this line "sudo /sw/bin/apt-get install gtk+ gdk-pixbuf", the terminal tels me this:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, gtk+ is already the newest version.
Sorry, gdk-pixbuf is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.

after all this, fpc still asks for the developer tools

ovidius

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 21
RE: installin fpc
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 01:16:37 pm »
Okay, I am sorry, but I just wanted to make sure, that everything is there ;-)

The next thing to try is a more recent snapshot from here:
http://www.hu.freepascal.org/lazarus/

If this will not help then I am out of luck, too.

Vincent Snijders

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2661
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
RE: installin fpc
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 01:18:37 pm »
The following script is used to test if the developer tools are installed.
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

if test -f "$3"/usr/bin/gcc
then
  exit 0
else
  exit 112
fi


Do you have that file?

Serpens

  • New member
  • *
  • Posts: 5
RE: installin fpc
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 01:29:37 pm »
@ovidius, na it wont help me, i got already these versions of lazarus, fpc and fpcsrc
@vincent how do i start that script? i just tried it this way:
1. opend the terminal and cd to /bin
2. enterd the word sh and pressedd enter
3. copied the code up there and inserted it

after that i received the word "exit"

so is that good or bad or did i do something wrong?

Vincent Snijders

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2661
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
RE: installin fpc
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 01:35:06 pm »
This script it run by the packager. You don't need to run it.

You need to find out if you have the file /usr/bin/gcc

Serpens

  • New member
  • *
  • Posts: 5
RE: installin fpc
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 01:44:34 pm »
well there is a gcc but it is only an alias

Phil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2750
Re: RE: installin fpc
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 03:36:12 pm »
Quote from: "Vincent"
The following script is used to test if the developer tools are installed.
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

if test -f "$3"/usr/bin/gcc
then
  exit 0
else
  exit 112
fi


Do you have that file?


I believe that on 10.4 (Tiger) gcc is no longer part of the developer tools, but rather in its own package (gcc3.3 or gcc4.0), so maybe this isn't a good test for the presence of the developer tools (linker, assembler, etc.)?

Have you installed the gcc4.0 package? Maybe that's what is required to get around this test.

I installed this stuff on a 10.4 machine just last week and all I installed was:

- Developer tools
- gcc4.0
- DevSDK

With regard to the fink message, is it possible that gtk+ is already installed, as the message indicates? I'm not at my Mac right now so I can't specify file names, but look in the /sw/lib folder for files with names that start with libgtk. If you have those, then gtk+ is probably already installed.

Thanks.

Serpens

  • New member
  • *
  • Posts: 5
RE: Re: RE: installin fpc
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 05:34:14 pm »
thx after ive installed gcc4.0 and devsdk i could install fpc but now when i start lazarus i get an error in the terminal of x11

TApplication.IconChanged - TODO: convert this message...no implementation in gtk or win32
NOTE: editor options config file not found - using defaults
NOTE: miscellaneous options file not found - using defaults
NOTE: codetools config file not found - using defaults
Note: TDefinePool.CreateFPCSrcTemplate UnitSearchPath empty
Broken pipe

:(:(:(:(

Phil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2750
Re: RE: Re: RE: installin fpc
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 07:56:15 pm »
Quote from: "Serpens"
thx after ive installed gcc4.0 and devsdk i could install fpc but now when i start lazarus i get an error in the terminal of x11

TApplication.IconChanged - TODO: convert this message...no implementation in gtk or win32
NOTE: editor options config file not found - using defaults
NOTE: miscellaneous options file not found - using defaults
NOTE: codetools config file not found - using defaults
Note: TDefinePool.CreateFPCSrcTemplate UnitSearchPath empty
Broken pipe

:(:(:(:(


Does anybody have any idea of what "broken pipe" means here?

Vincent: Can you change the check script? I don't think FPC requires gcc, does it? Maybe a check for the linker or assembler would be more appropriate since these are installed with the developer tools, but gcc is not.

I don't believe gcc or even the DevSDK (or the X11 SDK) is necessary to run FPC and Lazarus, just X11.app, developer tools, gtk+ libraries, and gdk-pixbuf libraries.

Thanks.

Vincent Snijders

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2661
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: installin fpc
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 09:30:08 am »
Phil, I asked Jonas about this, he maintains fpc for MacOSX and that script.

He told me (in Dutch, so this is a translation) that XCode (= developers tools, has *nothing* to with the X11 SDK) installation package is a "meta package", which groups several other packages. As long as you don't deselect certain packages (e.g. gcc 4.0) manually in the installer, everything works ok (all this goes for 10.4 and earlier versions).

Although FPC doesn't need gcc is a strict sense, if you use Xcode with fpc you do need it (because FPC compiles only to assembler under Xcode en Xcode calls the gcc driver to assembler those files). So in the long run, disabling the check for gcc will give more problems than that it will solve.

Phil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2750
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: installin fpc
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 03:19:32 pm »
Quote from: "Vincent"
Phil, I asked Jonas about this, he maintains fpc for MacOSX and that script.

He told me (in Dutch, so this is a translation) that XCode (= developers tools, has *nothing* to with the X11 SDK) installation package is a "meta package", which groups several other packages. As long as you don't deselect certain packages (e.g. gcc 4.0) manually in the installer, everything works ok (all this goes for 10.4 and earlier versions).

Although FPC doesn't need gcc is a strict sense, if you use Xcode with fpc you do need it (because FPC compiles only to assembler under Xcode en Xcode calls the gcc driver to assembler those files). So in the long run, disabling the check for gcc will give more problems than that it will solve.


I've never installed the metapackage because it installs so many unnecessary things (there are many, many individual packages). It seems to me this makes for potentially confusing instructions: "If you want to conserve disk space, you can install just the Developer Tools package (needed by FPC) and the gcc4.0 package (checked by installer)."

I agree that having gcc installed is a good idea (it's necessary, for example, to compile Den's Qt interface library), but it shouldn't be required if FPC itself doesn't use it. In any case, the message is incorrect, since in this case he did install the developer tools. It needs to say install gcc4.0 too (I believe gcc used to be installed as part of Xcode with earlier Xcode versions, but now it's two separate packages, gcc3.3 and gcc4.0).

Does anyone use FPC with the Xcode IDE?

Thanks.

Phil

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2750
Re: RE: Re: RE: installin fpc
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 03:41:01 pm »
Quote from: "Serpens"
thx after ive installed gcc4.0 and devsdk i could install fpc but now when i start lazarus i get an error in the terminal of x11

Broken pipe

:(:(:(:(


Serpens: Since there was a question about your fink / GTK+ installation, you might try installing them again. To simplify, you can just use sudo to rename (mv) your /sw folder, then run the fink.dmg installer again and use apt-get again. That way you'll get a clean install. Be sure to use the Intel fink.

Also, review the things that apt-get displays as it's downloading packages. One time when I ran it, it failed on a single package and didn't retry the download.

 

TinyPortal © 2005-2018